'09 Scott Addict R1 ... now sub 5.7kg @ 12.67lbs

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

Johnny Rad

by Johnny Rad

[Updated Feb 2017]

Retirement from active duty - my trusty Scott Addict R1 @ ~5895g / 12.999lbs w/PT GS hub built in Reynold Attacks, Garmin 520 and two cages (no saddle bag).

[Updated May 2016]

Grand Total - '09 Scott Addict R1 (SM, 49cm) w/SRAM eTap, Reynolds Attacks, Garmin and two cages (verified): ~5745g / 12.67lbs

Here's one straight out of the LBS and another at the tippy top of Little Cottonwood Canyon (about ~2mi beyond Snowbird where the Tour of Utah finishes).

[Updated late-July 2014]

Grand Total - '09 Scott Addict R1 (SM, 49cm) w/Madfiber clinchers, Garmin and two cages (verified): 5593g/ 12.33lbs

The MadFibers looked best debadged, but the rear ultimately delaminated as they're known to do...

> > > > > > > > > > > > < < < < < < < < < < < <

Jan '13 pics w/EE, Aicans / iLinks and '12 Red FD:

> > > > > > > > FROM 2010 and 2011 > > > > < < < < < < < < < < < <

Allow me to re-introduce myself and my new ride.

There’s definitely something in the water. Late last year, my buddy bought a ‘09 Addict R3 w/6600 and he can’t stop raving about how great it is. Earlier this year, another riding partner upgraded to a ‘09 Addict R2 w/7900. I tried to put it out of my mind, but this damned Internet has a bad habit of showing me deals that I think are just too good to pass up. Enter my new Scott…

2009 Scott Addict R1, XS / 49cm
Integrated seat post and standard bottom bracket

Build List, late-Jan 2011

Frame – ‘09 Scott Addict R1, 49cm / XS (with Far and Near chain catcher), cut 13cm - 870g
Fork – ‘09 Scott Addict R1, cut 13cm – 275g
Brakes - SRAM Red w/Reynolds BLUE pads - 25g total for pads ... now EE /wBlue
Bag – PRO small bag w/2x tubes, 2x tire irons, 2x allen wrench, 2x threaded CO2's and the pretty little Silca Eolo iii inflator (not included in weight)
Bar – Kestrel EMS Pro/SL, 40cm x 26.0 - 180g
Bar Tape - Lizard Skins DSP tape and plugs ... lighter DSP Race tape was only 1g lighter ... now Supa Caz black tape in 2016
Bottle Cages – ZIPP SL Speed carbon cages at 17g/ea + carbon bolts ... these are doing great for me 2-3yrs later
Cables Brake – Alligator I-Link (Yokozuna didn't work for me here...) and now Aican Bungarus ... and staying with them again in 2016
Cables Shift – Prefer Yokozuna Reaction (they work great for me here), but currently running boring Jagwires ... I don't need no stinkin' shift cables now!
Cassette - Red 1090, 11 x 26 ... now 1190 11 x 26
Computer – Garmin Edge 500 (head unit is 58g) w/HRM, speed and cadence and RaceWare Direct mount ... love it still 2-3yrs later
Crank – Zipp Vumaquad Compact, 50 x 34 (gold-colored ceramic BB)
Chain - KMC X10SL (alternately silver and gold depending upon price) ... now KMC X11 SL in 2016
Derailleurs – front is SRAM Red Yaw and rear is original SRAM Red ... now eTap in 2016
Headset and top cap - Extralite Scalhead ... rebuilt nearly 10yrs later in 2016
ISP stubby – MCFK - 73g
Pedals - SpeedPlay Zero Ti - gave up the spendy habit of replacing the Ti inserts in favor of OEM
Saddle – Selle San Marco Superleggera Aspide - 114g
Shifters - SRAM Red with Tune / BTP clamps - 10g + shifters ... now eTap w/o carbon clamps in 2016
Skewers – M2Racer QR (R.I.P. old friend)
Spacers – Extralite (Tune?) delrin plastic spacers (1 x 10mm and 1 x 5mm), 5g
Stem - Extralite UL2, 90mm
Tires – Schwalbe One clincher - 207g and 210g on Madfiber Gen1.5 clinchers (1304g) ... now Schwalbe One 23c
Tubes – Cheapo butyl 80mm, 67g/ea ... back to Challenge latex, mmm
Wheels - MadFiber clinchers (Schwalbe One's and butyl 80mm tubes) - 1304g + 551g for tires and tubes ... now Reynolds Attacks
Accessories – CSC's HTFU black band - weightless - ha ha

* Grand Total w/MadFibers (verified): 5593g / 12.33lbs

* Grand Total w/Attacks (verified): 5684g / 12.53lbs

* Grand Total w/Assault (verified): 5771g/ 12.72lbs

Many thanks to those that helped me achieve my cycling nirvana: Bernhard @ BTP, Cyclesmith team (and now FLYNN CYCLERY) in SLC, Fairwheel Bikes team, Glory Cycles team, Doug @ Masherz and Martin @ MCFK!

> > > > > > > > > > > > < < < < < < < < < < < <

With this awesome Pro Tour Machine, I'm going to have to ride A LOT harder this year!

Nearly bare frame weight: 926g (uncut mast, w/carbon FD hanger, Far and Near chain catcher and no headset bits) => 872g cut 13cm

Fork weight: 307g (uncut fork) => 275g cut 13cm

Carbon goodness from MCFK: 73g

Anchor from Ritchey: 131g (replaced by MCFK stubby!)

Kestrel EMS Pro, 26.0 x 40cm (c/c)

Tune / BTP clamps (saved 22g over SRAM Red clamps)

> > RIP: My faithful ‘05 Trek Madone 5.2 that ultimately clocked out at 6.67kg / 14.69lbs < <

Last edited by Johnny Rad on Mon Jan 06, 2020 6:31 am, edited 57 times in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Frankie - B
Admin - In the industry

by Frankie - B

Great post and nice frame. Congrats with it. I hope you can build a real nice and light bike from that.

Not wanting to spoil your fun, but isn't the weight of the frame a bit on the high side for a 48?
'Tape was made to wrap your GF's gifts, NOT hold a freakin tire on.'
If you want to see 'meh' content of me and my bike you can follow my life in pictures here!

Johnny Rad

by Johnny Rad

The "SL" Addict with no integrated seat post mast is the keeper at ~790g. With an AX post, it's the undeniable cream of the WW crop.

The integrated post Addict R1 and R2 models are allegedly 955g, so mine only lost 29g for being so small. I wouldn't have sent it back if it weighed in any less, though!

You can see the integrated seat post mast and Ritchey stubby rain a little bit on my parade. The way I look at it, I'm only going to be ~30-40g heavier than what I'd have made with an SL. An EC90 post and clamp is ~160 grams, which puts the SL at 950g versus my uncut 1057g. With a bit less tubing on my fork and seat post mast plus a lighter NORA/MCFK stubby, my build plan puts me within ~30-40g. [I'll keep a running commentary here...]

I knew I had to have an Addict and only went with the integrated seat post version because of the deal I found. The SL would've been nice, but this is going to be awesome.

> > Edit < <

With the frame cut and weighing in at 879g and the MCFK stubby at 73g, I'm right at 952g! How about that?! Roughly the same as an Addict SL frame with EC90 Zero seat post, so maybe the isp frame models don't really take much of a backseat weight-wise to non-isp frames. Granted an AX seatpost would tip the scale in favor of the non-isp...
Last edited by Johnny Rad on Sun Jan 06, 2013 12:32 am, edited 3 times in total.

Frankie - B
Admin - In the industry

by Frankie - B

Ah, ok. I get it!

Funny. I never knew that there was such a discrepancy between the isp models and normal models. Wait. I knew... Must have ignored it ;)

Are you going to transfer all the parts of the madone to the addict?
'Tape was made to wrap your GF's gifts, NOT hold a freakin tire on.'
If you want to see 'meh' content of me and my bike you can follow my life in pictures here!

MARLON

by MARLON

My 56 R2 isp has 890 with integrated campa bearing cups...
4cm isp cut off...
did you weight the frame with dog fang and the bolts for bch???
The bolts for them are very heavy...change them and throw the dog fang away :twisted:
BACK IN BLACK

Johnny Rad

by Johnny Rad

@ Frankie - It's about 50:50 on new and old parts going to the Addict.

@ Marlon - Good point on the dog fang. Yes, the frame weight includes it. It's not worth keeping?

As you know, the R1 and R2 are identical outside of paint in '09, so it sounds like your R2 is on the light end of the range and/or mine is on the other end. I'm going to weigh the mast that gets cut off, but I don't think it can be that much weight.

Johnny Rad

by Johnny Rad

Update:

My Addict is 90% ready! The fit is close, but not perfect. The Lizard Skins bar tape didn't come in, so it's got some stand-in Deda tape. And the pedals still need a bit of TLC.

Without bar tape or the Garmin speed / cadence sensor, it weighed in at 13.125lbs or 5954g! I'm projecting a riding weight of ~13.3lbs until I fit the MCFK stubby and affix the BTP plates at which point 13.0000lbs (and maybe 12.99999lbs or <5900g) may be achievable. Whoa, I'm absolutely blown away.

Frame and Fork weight update:
* Shortened the ISP by 47g (~13cm), making the frame weigh 879g (w/dog fang).
* Shortened the steerer by 39g (~13cm), making the fork weigh 275g.
Last edited by Johnny Rad on Wed Apr 14, 2010 4:09 am, edited 2 times in total.

range
Shop Owner

by range

Looks pretty cool! :thumbup:
Range || range.wordpress.com
Asterisk*Cycles
'10 Velocite Millennium Elite SRAM Red
'11 Velocite Geos w SRAM Red || '08 Giant Anthem X0 w SRAM X0 || '93 Pinarello w Shimano 105

Johnny Rad

by Johnny Rad

I've been riding my new Scott for a few weeks now and am real happy! Since it's finally 95% dialed in, I wanted to give everyone an updated weight and ride report.

* 6124g / 13.5lbs verified today ready to ride (pedals, cages, computer, but no seat bag)
* With a MCFK stubby in the mail to me, I'm estimating 6057g / 13.35lbs
* Build list is detailed in opening post in this thread

I had my fingers crossed on a sub 6kg build, but I missed the ~100g for the Garmin 500 and cadence / speed sensor. I could probably hit it by switching out tubes, but I want to "legitimately" hit my target the way I actually ride it. So I think that means EE brakes and / or Powercordz with Nokons, but I have to let me wallet cool off for awhile! I'm open to ideas in the meantime.

Brief ride report

First and foremost, my Addict feels like a great fit. I find myself comfortably riding on the hoods most of the time versus just behind the hoods on the bar on my old bike. In my hands, the Red hoods are a much better fit than DA7800 hoods. I'm so glad to be comfortable on my new Addict that I essentially bought sight unseen on the web!

The ride is another big difference between my old '05 Trek Madone. On bad roads, the Addict feels like I've pumped up the tubes to 600psi. Bumps go right through the frame and directly into me; there's nothing muted about it. On the other hand, I feel like that same frame characteristic makes for a faster ride out of the saddle when I'm stomping on the pedals. (Don't tell me it's just an artifact of spending some bucks on a new frame!)

I'm giving SRAM Red with Yokozuna Reaction cables a lukewarm thumbs-up. I absolutely love the Zero Loss downshifting to smaller cogs, but am STILL perfecting my upshifting technique. I was worried about using the Red FD, but it's just fine. The Red brakes are also good stuff, but I just switched back from Yokozuna brake cables to OEM brake cables. It might've been an installation issue, but my brakes weren't springing back to the full open position. With respect to drivetrain noise (Red ders, KMC XM10SL and DA7800 cassette), I'm relieved to report that it's just as quiet as my outgoing DA7800.
Last edited by Johnny Rad on Sun Apr 04, 2010 4:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

Johnny Rad

by Johnny Rad

EDITED / DELETED due to IMAGESHACK going "pay to play"

Instead, I'm putting this nice historical pic in as filler.

Last edited by Johnny Rad on Sat May 07, 2016 4:57 am, edited 4 times in total.

Johnny Rad

by Johnny Rad

This little bit of carbon goodness from MCFK saved me a healthy 58g over the 131g Ritchey boat anchor. (Edit - I swapped the carbon shaft for a 10mm longer version that weighs 5g more, so the savings was really 53g ... and I've since gone back to the shorter MCFK isp length given the shorter stack eight on my Bonts)

To successfully install my new MCFK stubby, I had to trim my ISP further to the tune of 5cm and 18g.
The minimum insertion depth is 35mm per their instructions, but it wouldn't go much deeper than that anyways.

All said and done this evening, I shaved 76g putting me within a hair of <6kg! Stay tuned...

Test ride tomorrow once the rain stops and daylight returns. => Ride report: The MCFK stubby works as advertised. It's holding it's place on the isp and my saddle. All is good!

Last edited by Johnny Rad on Sat May 07, 2016 4:52 am, edited 6 times in total.

kov79

by kov79

do the red velo plugs fit well? Any issues with them falling out when changing tubes (I heard this can be an issue, and since I have assaults, would be interested in trying them too if they fit snug)

Johnny Rad

by Johnny Rad

I've got red Veloplugs and they work great: nice, tight fit. I have to pry them out of the spoke hole to remove them.

I recall reading somethere that the yellow plugs are loose in Reynolds clinchers.

Johnny Rad

by Johnny Rad

I added Zipp Tangente cork pads today, which saved me 17g, which brings me to 6028g.

Ride report => I'm sticking with Swisstop Yellows despite the 17g weight penalty. Swisstop Yellows > Zipp Tangente

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=58423&p=641878#p641878" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Next? Challenge latex tubes to replace my Michelin latex tubes. I'm crossing my fingers on a sub 6kg weigh-in!

Last edited by Johnny Rad on Sat May 07, 2016 4:52 am, edited 5 times in total.

kov79

by kov79

not that it is a big concern, but I just got an email from reynolds, saying that your warranty is void if you use cork pads, even the new zipp ones!
thanks for the info on the velo plugs
cheers

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com