dura ace 9-10speed

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

tommy

by tommy

Did a search but didn't find what i was looking for...
Will a dura ace 9sp derailleur work on a 10sp system if i change the pulleys???

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

madcow
Shop Owner

by madcow

It will work even if you don't change the pulleys

fdegrove
Tubbie Guru

by fdegrove

Hi,

Shimano uses a fully indexed shifting system, i.e. the shifter pulls a preset amount of cable as it moves.
Usually, if you have the 10 speed shifter, cassette and chain it will work fine after just a little der. cable adjustment.

Ciao, :wink:
Being a snob is an expensive hobby.

Tippster

by Tippster

fdegrove wrote:Hi,

Shimano uses a fully indexed shifting system, i.e. the shifter pulls a preset amount of cable as it moves.
Usually, if you have the 10 speed shifter, cassette and chain it will work fine after just a little der. cable adjustment.

I'm pretty sure he already knew that.

By changing the pulley wheels. he is likely concerned over the chain width difference between 9 and 10 speed (10 speed is slightly narrower).

Madcow is correct. It will work. I'm currently using a DA 10 speed rear mech with 9 speed chain and 9 speed chainrings...

shifting is fine...
"Ride it like you've just stolen it!"

fdegrove
Tubbie Guru

by fdegrove

Hi,

Unfortunately I'm not that good at mindreading.....

By changing the pulley wheels. he is likely concerned over the chain width difference between 9 and 10 speed (10 speed is slightly narrower).

So if the chain of the 10S is narrower what possible problem could there be?
Both use 11T pulley wheels anyway....

I'm currently using a DA 10 speed rear mech with 9 speed chain and 9 speed chainrings...

Fine but Tommy want to do the opposite from what I understand.

tommy

by tommy

:exactly:

So if the chain of the 10S is narrower what possible problem could there be?
Both use 11T pulley wheels anyway....

maybe it would affect shifting performance? :noidea:

Fine but Tommy want to do the opposite from what I understand.

Yep 8)

fdegrove
Tubbie Guru

by fdegrove

Hi,

maybe it would affect shifting performance?

Well, you can give me a Shimano 8 speed RD if you must and it can even have 10T pulleys, I'll still have it shift just as well as the original 10S part.

Really now, there should be no problem whatsoever, none.
To understand why it works I told you about the fully indexed system Shimano uses as that's what clarifies it. 8)

bikemesenger
Shop Owner

by bikemesenger

Well, you can give me a Shimano 8 speed RD if you must and it can even have 10T pulleys, I'll still have it shift just as well as the original 10S part.

To understand why it works I told you about the fully indexed system Shimano uses as that's what clarifies it. 8)

I have had shifting problems with 8 speed DuraAce RD when used on 9 and 10 speed systems. The shifting problems were fixed by using a 10 speed RD. If it were as simple as the shifter pulls a certain amount of cable per shift and any RD will work. Then any derailer should work including Campy.

fdegrove
Tubbie Guru

by fdegrove

Hi,

Then any derailer should work including Campy.

As it usually does.....
Maybe I've been lucky and you have been unlucky but you'd be surprised at what you can get to work to perfection with a little attention to set up.....

Anyway, in this case I know with absolute certainty that there's no problem.

allezkmiec

by allezkmiec

bikemesenger wrote:

I have had shifting problems with 8 speed DuraAce RD when used on 9 and 10 speed systems. The shifting problems were fixed by using a 10 speed RD. If it were as simple as the shifter pulls a certain amount of cable per shift and any RD will work. Then any derailer should work including Campy.

This is not so. If the cable fixing bolt is in a different place on various derailleurs, if the paralellogram is a different size or shape, etc. then a given amount of cable pull will affect the derailleur differently. But assuming the geometry of the derailleurs is the same or very similar (such as between Dura-Ace 9 and 10 speed) then a given amount of cable pull will move the derailleur the same amount. Hence Dura-Ace derailleurs will work for both 9 and 10 speed.

jersievers

by jersievers

Yes, but the new rear dir is better for reason other then just, "will it work"

The 10sp will work longer.

fdegrove
Tubbie Guru

by fdegrove

Hi,

The 10sp will work longer.

Question is, how much longer do you have to have it working?

Knowing that the only parts prone to wear and tear are the pulleys and if you're willing to replace them occasionally a RD of the quality of say Ultegra or DA will last for about twenty years, probably even more?

By that time I'm sure that group will be so outdated no one will even want to fit it on a new bike anyhow.....

I mean, why spend so much more on the DA for instance if the Ultegra offers the same performance and longevity bar perhaps a year or two extra?
Why fit the one specced for 10S if the 9S is the same thing?

If the cable fixing bolt is in a different place on various derailleurs, if the paralellogram is a different size or shape, etc. then a given amount of cable pull will affect the derailleur differently.

I agree but most Shimano RDs that are used for racing bikes do have the cable fixing in the same place and on the few older ones that don't you can easily reroute the cable and it will still work fine just the same.

Anyway, I just wanted to point out that you can often mix various parts of different groups from the same manufacturer provided you know how to go about it.
Much more so than even the more knowledgeable bikemechanics are willing to admit.
The manufacturer certainly is not going to put that in print for you, that for sure..... :lol:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com