I need reliable and light skewers.

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Adrien
WWotY 2007

by Adrien

Hey!

I need, as the title says, a light and reliable set of skewers.
I tried the TUNE AC14 skewers but they didn't tight well the wheel against the frame or the fork so I don't want them anymore.

What skewers do you use?
Can you give me some feedback about them.

Something like 50€ is a maximum. Perhaps a bit more ;)

Thanks.Adrien.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Bikes4fun

by Bikes4fun

I've been using the USE Spin Stix and they are quite good, easy to install. Weight is 58g.

Adrien
WWotY 2007

by Adrien

Any picture?
Any price?

madcow
Shop Owner

by madcow

If you want quick release, the bold precision are great. If you dont care about QR the M2's are the way to go.

USE skewers are here. http://www.use1.com/accessories/accessories.htm

andyrr

by andyrr

Having bought a pair of the Spin Stix I'm really disappointed with them.
They're light and look nice but I can't see me using them on my road race bike since in combination with my Principia frame, to remove the rear wheel the end nut is very close to the end of the skewer thread and it is so easy to loosen it a turn too much and the spring and end nut jump off the skewer.
I don't think I want to attempt that when getting a wheel change during a race - it's likely to lead to to 1 or more parts of the Spin Stix disappearing into the grass never to be seen again.
Maybe I could try putting something like some thick threadlock on the last portion of the skewer's threads to reduce the chances of that happening ?

rhsnyder

by rhsnyder

I've tried a few different skewers (Zipp, Control Tech, Mavic, Dura Ace...) and ended up with a set of Salsa Ti skewers. Not the lightest @ 100 grams but they do the job really well. I've looked at the Bold Precision skewers but have not tried them, yet.

strobbekoen

by strobbekoen

I am using bolt-on Ti skewers.

I always carry a 4mm and 5mm allen key with me anyway, so it does not make much difference to me and it looks neat :)

I bought it on eBay USA, the guy was really friendly and shipping was fast.
this is the url:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=58099&item=7161610790&rd=1

good luck!
Koen.

jmh

by jmh

Bold, Bold or Bold.

big fellow

by big fellow

have been on USE spin stix for last 8 or so months, not a problem with them at all - even with my 84kg carcass!

if you do a search you will find there are may threads on this...

OCLV110

by OCLV110

Controltech offers a pair of titanium bolt on skewers for 47gms a pair at an economical price.
Im considering these now, but someone in another forum mentioned that titanium skewers flex when you sprint. At 70kg, does this happen too? :)

Phippy

by Phippy

I use SpeedCific steel bolt race skewers on all my bikes and never had a problem. Cheap, light and clean looking. What else could you ask for, ah maybe a stainless steel version.

Speedcific

michel2

by michel2

i hav tune in my road bike, really no worries there !!
on my mountainbike salsa, these are the verry best possible and not heavy!so if youre not happy with the tune go salsa

acording to me.... :oops:

Pantani

by Pantani

Basic bolt ons from e.g BBB.

They cost about 15 euro and weigh about 75 gr for a pair, You have to cut the axles down but with a sharp hacksaw blade, they still thread fine.

You can spend the other €35 of the budget on another we part!

onyourleft

by onyourleft

OCLV110 wrote:Controltech offers a pair of titanium bolt on skewers for 47gms a pair at an economical price.
Im considering these now, but someone in another forum mentioned that titanium skewers flex when you sprint. At 70kg, does this happen too? :)

If you can tell it's a skewer that's flexing while you're sprinting, then you should be designing the stuff, not riding it. :roll:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

jersievers

by jersievers

rhsnyder wrote:I've tried a few different skewers (Zipp, Control Tech, Mavic, Dura Ace...) and ended up with a set of Salsa Ti skewers. Not the lightest @ 100 grams but they do the job really well.

I second the motion. their skewers are great, tighten smoothly and secure. have fixed problem of migrating rear wheel on some friends bikes. Mine are 88 gms.