Flexible brake cable housing

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

vidman

by vidman

While fitting new White Jagwire cables to my bike yesterday, I found myself struggling with the very stiff housing for the bend of the cable from the top tube cable stopper to the rear caliper. The Jagwire housing a pretty stiff and this was pushing the caliper off center every time the brake was applied and not allowing it to return to its centered position.

In the end I had to ditch the white housing for this location for a bit of elcheap-o PBK black housing I had laying around that was flexible enough to not force the caliper off center.

So- does anyone have a short section of FLEXIBLE white brake cable housing laying about they don't want? I only need 16cm of housing. I'm in Australia so im prepared of course to pay postage ( just put it in an envelope I guess).

This is a situation where Nokons or similar would be perfect, however I'm not going to spend up big for a full set for such a minor petty thing just to satisfy my asthetics. :lol:

The black looks fine on the bike, but I'd rather it ALL be white so it matches.

Otherwise, does anyone know of a nice and flexible brand of WHITE cable outer?
Last edited by vidman on Thu Feb 18, 2010 2:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

hockinsk

by hockinsk

Finding white cable outer on its own is very difficult I found (in UK anyway). In the end I went for Goodridge's white outers which ChainReaction sold by the metre. However, this is the stiff compression-less type similar to Jagwire, not the spriral-wound 'flexible' type you are after.

One trick we used to use when kids with black BMX cables though is slice the original sheath off cable and then slide a couple of lengths of some coloured Heatshrink tube over the outers and quickly run a blow torch over it. Worked surprisingly well.

Another option is to just drill the front and rear cablestops through with suitable sized drill bit turning them into cable guides, then you can run full length jagwire outers. You'll need a cable tie in the middle though or you can pop rivet a cable guide on which the framebuilder shops can supply you with.
Last edited by hockinsk on Wed Feb 03, 2010 2:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

vidman

by vidman

hockinsk - Not real keen on drilling my CF frame. But one option I thought of was to just add some heat shrink white on the black outer to change the colour (similar to what you said but without slicing off the sheath).

synchronicity

by synchronicity

Did someone just delete my post? Image

Check your PM vidman...
vertebrae | Precision braking and shifting.
vayakora | Eco mouse mats: silk, linen, cotton, ramie, bamboo, etc.

vidman

by vidman

A little present turned up in the post today- a 16cm section of Vertebrae housing.

The Vertebrae is made up of small ceramic sections that slide together over a lining with black ferrel ends and all held together with a shrink wrap plastic outer. I got mine with a clear outer (looks cool with the white ceramic sections showing) but the shrink wrapping comes in different colours.

The teflon lining is free to slide inside the outer and it came with plenty sticking out of each end so i left about 5mm to stick through the frame cable stop and a longer section to sit inside the brake barrel adjuster.

Fitted very easy just like any cable housing though I was super careful threading the cable inside the lining to make sure I didnt snag a wire. Its a fairly snug fit so I was extra careful to make sure it went through with no stress.

So far I haven't ridden with it yet (just fitted it tonight) but even though its just a small section, the rear brake feels noticeably lighter and smoother at the lever. I'll post up a review and pics after a ride.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Dalai

by Dalai

I am after suggestions for good flexible brake housing. What is the latest and greatest?

Currently fitted to the back of my alloy Cervelo P3 is a Simkin Egg brake, but the machined out back of the arms really stick out from the narrow seat stays. So I just bought a Shimano AX centrepull brake to try.

I fitted it last night to check out tolerances and noted the cable holder is very close to the vertical section of the seat tube, with very little room to fit the cable. Only way I think a cable may fit is if I use a very flexible cable housing from the top tube to the brake...