any feedback on the use ringo star

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

mike
Resident Pro

by mike

I've done a search, but didn't find much on this topic. Anyone use the ringo star on their bikes? Does it torque well enough that there is no play in fork when braking?

Mike

col hicks

by col hicks

:roll: absolute crap dont waste your money . comes loose after about two mins and then you get play in your headset . the idea is good but it doesnt work

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mike
Resident Pro

by mike

ok, thanks! will have to look to other light options....or perhaps filing down the insides of my compression device for the fork.

andyrr

by andyrr

Just got my LBS to install this on my Principia and they also struggled to get the headset/stem tight - I'l have a play myself but unless we've missed something it looks like I'll be junking this item !

weiwentg

by weiwentg

uh... on my bike it works fine. no problems with headset coming out of adjustment. the ring-go-star is only for fine adjustment, you need to position the fork correctly before using the ring-go-star.

spookyload

by spookyload

I agree. I use it on my cross rig and it works great. I used a traditional topcap/compression cap to set it up initially, then used the Ringo star to readjust it after the first few rides. The top cap is feather weight and can't be beat for the price. I use the top caps on all my bikes once I have the preload set.

Tippster

by Tippster

spookyload wrote:I agree. I use it on my cross rig and it works great. I used a traditional topcap/compression cap to set it up initially, then used the Ringo star to readjust it after the first few rides. The top cap is feather weight and can't be beat for the price. I use the top caps on all my bikes once I have the preload set.

I second spookyload's post. I've use the Ring-go-star for over 12 months with no problems. Even on a mtb off-road with rigid forks.

You can even go one step further a use a traditional set-up to pre-load the stem then use the stem to take the load. Remove the traditional set-up and the stem takes the load. You just need a top cap to cover the steerer tube.
"Ride it like you've just stolen it!"

Knut

by Knut

Tippster wrote:You can even go one step further a use a traditional set-up to pre-load the stem then use the stem to take the load. Remove the traditional set-up and the stem takes the load. You just need a top cap to cover the steerer tube.

The only problem with that setup is that it will not be possible for you to adjust headset preload if you crash and the stem turn on the steerer tube.

Otherwise I agree 100% and that's exactly how I'm going to setup my Principia Revolution, with a Schmolke top cap.

mike
Resident Pro

by mike

thanks, i might give it a try now.

mike

Tippster

by Tippster

about 6 months ago another ww posted a full instructions as to how to set-up as I described. Try a search...
"Ride it like you've just stolen it!"

marko

by marko

What do you put in your stearer to tighten your stem, or do you you use less torque now that it doesn't hold the preset?

fdegrove
Tubbie Guru

by fdegrove

Hi,

What do you put in your stearer to tighten your stem, or do you you use less torque now that it doesn't hold the preset?

If the steerer is of the alloy/carbon type you can use a starnut and topcap + screw to set the load on the bearing cups.
Once you've done that and the stem is alligned and it's bolts torqued properly there's no need to keep the starnut, tightening bolt and topcap in place although I'd leave the starnut as is.
So the bolt and topcap can go, you replace the topcap with a lightweight one with no hole in it that you can pressfit into the top of the steerer tube or use something like the USE affair which still allows for some fine adjustments from what I understand.

If the steerer is of the full carbon type, a compression device is used that sets itself firmly against the sidewall of the steerer by means of expansion against which the load on the bearings is set in a similar way as the starnut/bolt/topcap combo used for the alloy/carbon types.
Anything after that remains the same as described above.

So, in essence, after the preload on the bearings is set by either one of these systems it is the stem's tightened down bolts and, if any, the spacers underneath that keep it in place and loaded down evenly.

You'll only need to redo the whole ritual should you want to change the fork, regrease the headset bearings or should you want to replace the headset itself for instance.

Ciao, :wink:
Being a snob is an expensive hobby.

andyrr

by andyrr

Update to my last post : LBS initially installed a standard compression device to load up the headset then removed that and used the small amount of expansion within the USE to complete the job.
Only thing is the top cap is still not 100% tight and will rattle - it seems a little hopeful of USE for them to design a top cap held in by a rubber washer that should then fit so firmly in the steerer of all forks that it'll never move a little ?

spookyload

by spookyload

There was two different size o-rings in the package to fit different size steerers. If the shop lost the bigger sized one, go to an auto parts store and get a thicker o-ring. Sometimes they don't fit at first because they are too big, but if you use some alcohol it will go right in and be very tight.

andyrr

by andyrr

Cheers, I'll try out some different size o-rings.
Also wonder if the magic hairspray might work as a lubricant to help the o-ring slide down the steerer and it'll then goes tacky.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com