Steel frames

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

ks_rider

by ks_rider

I read somewhere on the internet that Richard Sachs and Serotta uses like a 8 cm bottom bracket drop that gives a lower center of gravity and gives that handling quality.

Does anyone have an idea of the weight of Aermet frame? Or a link to a manufacturer? TIA

Veloduck

by Veloduck

Miranda wrote:Hello,

With all the talk about lightweight premium steel road frames what about Waterford's flagship R33? Does anyone have one? Do they have a good balance regarding racing performance and putting in those long training miles? Durability?

Regarding classic steel how about one made by Chris Kvale in Minneapolis?

I havent heard anything bad about Waterford but only praises. That goes same with Chris's work.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

spin110

by spin110

Nobody has built with aermet for years from what I gather. This stuff is super strong and hard. It can not be drawn for that reason. You can only make seamed straight gauge tubing. A .5 straight gauge tube is slightly heavier than a .7/.4/.7 butted tube. In other words, this material will not yield the lightest road frame possible. Weights are comparable to the lightest straight gauge ti frames: 1350 to 1450g for an aermet frame is reasonable.
It is still a very interesting frame material. It could make very nice trials frames for instance. Would any weight weenies be interested in an aermet 310 frame? If there is a demand for this stuff, I could get a custom order from Cartech.
The aermet frames from the past were the aermet 100 alloy. Aermet 310 is 15% stronger and harder!

onyourleft

by onyourleft

spin110 wrote:Nobody has built with aermet for years from what I gather. This stuff is super strong and hard. It can not be drawn for that reason. You can only make seamed straight gauge tubing. A .5 straight gauge tube is slightly heavier than a .7/.4/.7 butted tube. In other words, this material will not yield the lightest road frame possible. Weights are comparable to the lightest straight gauge ti frames: 1350 to 1450g for an aermet frame is reasonable.
It is still a very interesting frame material. It could make very nice trials frames for instance. Would any weight weenies be interested in an aermet 310 frame? If there is a demand for this stuff, I could get a custom order from Cartech.
The aermet frames from the past were the aermet 100 alloy. Aermet 310 is 15% stronger and harder!

All well and good, but with this tubing, don't you give up some of the great steel ride? Seems like if it's that stiff, you might as well go Al.

A little compliance in a frame is not a bad thing.

spin110

by spin110

onyourleft wrote:
spin110 wrote:Nobody has built with aermet for years from what I gather. This stuff is super strong and hard. It can not be drawn for that reason. You can only make seamed straight gauge tubing. A .5 straight gauge tube is slightly heavier than a .7/.4/.7 butted tube. In other words, this material will not yield the lightest road frame possible. Weights are comparable to the lightest straight gauge ti frames: 1350 to 1450g for an aermet frame is reasonable.

All well and good, but with this tubing, don't you give up some of the great steel ride? Seems like if it's that stiff, you might as well go Al.

A little compliance in a frame is not a bad thing.

All steel has about the same stiffness, from mild steel to this stuff. Aermet has a young's modulus of about 28ksi just like every other steel I know of. You certainly would not be giving up the great steel ride
Al??? This stuff is 6 times stronger than most Al used in bike frames.

Optimo-GmC

by Optimo-GmC

De Rosa has also a very nice steel bike! Beautifull!

michel2

by michel2

NEO PRIAMTO,
verry stylische indeed !

onyourleft

by onyourleft

spin110 wrote:
All steel has about the same stiffness, from mild steel to this stuff. Aermet has a young's modulus of about 28ksi just like every other steel I know of. You certainly would not be giving up the great steel ride

All else being equal, yes. But with the stuff you're talking about, it may be different because of the tube thickness?

spin110

by spin110

onyourleft wrote:
spin110 wrote:

All else being equal, yes. But with the stuff you're talking about, it may be different because of the tube thickness?

The strength to weight of aermet is till atleast twice as high as most aluminum. Atleast any aluminum I know of that is readily weldable.
A 0.5mm thick aermet tube is much beefier than a 1.5mm thick Al tube or even a 0.75mm think Ti tube.

onyourleft

by onyourleft

spin110 wrote:The strength to weight of aermet is till atleast twice as high as most aluminum. Atleast any aluminum I know of that is readily weldable.
A 0.5mm thick aermet tube is much beefier than a 1.5mm thick Al tube or even a 0.75mm think Ti tube.

I'll have to take your word for it, because I know very little about aermet. All's I DO know is: steel is good!

:)