Bont shoes

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

addicted

by addicted

Are the 'A' stock series shoes customizable in terms of width?? ie. when heated, can you push the side of the sole outward, to make up for a wide midfoot? Anyone try the lower end A3's??

I was pondering getting a pair of D2's, but I'd rather spend $500 less and get bonts if they'll work (odd shaped feet, narrow ankle with wide mid-foot, and pretty flat...)..

Thanks!

Frankie - B
Admin - In the industry

by Frankie - B

Frankie - B wrote:Did you email the manufacturer yet?
'Tape was made to wrap your GF's gifts, NOT hold a freakin tire on.'
If you want to see 'meh' content of me and my bike you can follow my life in pictures here!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

addicted

by addicted

[quote removed, no need to requote when you write a reply. Thanks]

Yes.

"Did you hear back?"

No.

rbrtwyn

by rbrtwyn

You can press out any areas that need special attention. Bont says to use a spoon (or similar) to push the area out while the shoe is still warm. Bont are wider than most shoes out of the box.

I own a pair of D2, 3 pairs of Shimano heat moldable and now the Bonts. I have odd shaped feet as well in that right below my pinky toes my feet stick out wider than most so stock shoes are too tight in that area causing a lot of pain (especially in warm weather). The D2 and Shimano both worked well in that area. D2 gave extra room there and the Shimano molded perfectly to the shape of my foot.

I had some problems with D2 in that they drilled the holes differently on each shoe so I could never get my left cleat lined up properly. After a few emails with them didn't seem to get anywhere, I decided to switch to Shimano which I used happily for 2 1/2 years until I went to the Bonts 3 weeks ago. I won't know for sure until it warms up if the Bonts have molded around my foot so as to not cause pain but they did mold much better than Shimano as the entire shoe is moldable while Shimano is mostly the outside of the shoe that is moldable. Today I remarked on my ride how solid the shoes felt throughout the entire pedal stroke, no movement of the foot.

I did have a slight problem with the cleat holes on the Bonts (same as D2). But Bont has replied within 2 days saying the shoe is faulty so I think it will be resolved much better that with D2. So far I would rate Shimano and Bont above D2, having used all three. But I can't yet say whether Bont or Shimano wins.

ty-ro

by ty-ro

Thanks rbrtwyn. That's the info I was looking for. I have 3 pair of Shimano heat moldable shoes (R-300, R-310, & M-310) and one pair of D2, but I have no experience with Bonts. I seem to have had a similar experience with D2. One of the shoes is way too tight and my toe still jams the front even after being sent back twice. I gave up and went back to my Shimanos. I just had the M-310's vacuum fitted a few weeks ago and will likely start riding them once the season starts. I was curious about the Bonts and it sounds like they have potential. I really like the fit of the Shimano, so I may just stay with those. The Bonts are lighter, possibly more moldable, and might allow me to use the custom insoles from the D2.

How does the Shimano sizing compare to Bont sizing for you? I measured my feet and emailed Bont with the numbers. They said that I would be a 44. I wear a 45 Shimano. There are some earlier posts in this thread that say the sizing is now on par with other manufacturers. Do you think the 44 will be too small?

mdeth1313

by mdeth1313

quote removed. please use reply option. thanks
what reply option would that be?

as far as sizing, I was using sidi 41.5 (2009, ergo 2) and the 42's in bont (a1) are a tad wider/roomier. the heat molding should take care of that.
Last edited by mdeth1313 on Wed Feb 03, 2010 11:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Speedplay is the devil!

spinwax
Shop Owner

by spinwax

Love my Bont A1s. Best shoe around.
Last edited by spinwax on Mon Apr 26, 2010 8:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rbrtwyn

by rbrtwyn

I wear a 43 in Shimano (R300, R310 and M300) and the new Bont sizing a 43 is perfect, even better than Shimano as I always felt the Shimano was a 1/2 size too big.

spinwax
Shop Owner

by spinwax

rbrtwyn wrote:I wear a 43 in Shimano (R300, R310 and M300) and the new Bont sizing a 43 is perfect, even better than Shimano as I always felt the Shimano was a 1/2 size too big.

Odd, I wear a 46 in the Shimano and a 44 in the Bont. Per their sizing that is even what it told me and it was perfect length wise.

rbrtwyn

by rbrtwyn

spinwax wrote:Odd, I wear a 46 in the Shimano and a 44 in the Bont. Per their sizing that is even what it told me and it was perfect length wise.

New Bont sizing or old Bont sizing?

euan

by euan

I could get a deal on an old sized pair of Bont A1s for half price but their sizing does confuse me. I wear a Mavic UK9 and using their chart and a foot measurement of 261mm I should get a size US7 Bont.

Shame I can't try them on before buying.

Bikey

by Bikey

new from Bont - 160g is light! It even has shoelaces!
http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/bont-to ... mbing-shoe

spinwax
Shop Owner

by spinwax

rbrtwyn wrote:
spinwax wrote:Odd, I wear a 46 in the Shimano and a 44 in the Bont. Per their sizing that is even what it told me and it was perfect length wise.

New Bont sizing or old Bont sizing?

Well, I had Bonts in the last 3 months. Went off of the chart on their site. :noidea:

addicted

by addicted

Has anyone tried the A1's, 2's and 3's?
I know there is a slight weight diff., and about 1.5mm stack diff. between the 1's and threes.
Do they feel much different? They claim the A-3's are moldable, so I'm not sure if the $200 price difference is worth it??

chops

by chops

Bikey wrote:new from Bont - 160g is light! It even has shoelaces!
http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/bont-to ... mbing-shoe" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

That is light. Also intrigues by them saying it isn't as some shoes which have a weight limit. Anyone know what shoes they are refering to?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com