8 speed campagnolo body on ten speed system ??

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

michel2

by michel2

hi guys i just bought some cheap but really great shape campagnolo shamal wheels, wich is all great but i have a ten speed bike and the body is a 8 speed one???
so i was thinking to

A: rebuild te rear with a 10 or 9 speed body, but iam not sure if they will fit secondly i prefer not to muck around to much with the spokes,i probably have to realign the rim when i mound a new body?

b: i am thinking of maybee using masichio sprocets, i had a look on their wbsite and i think it would be possibly to use their adaptors on 10 speed rings with 10 speed spacers, i would lose at least one ring and have to make it nine, i belive it possible to use 9 on 8if iam correct.

is their anybody here who is exeprience with either the first or tyhe second??

cheers michel

fdegrove
Tubbie Guru

by fdegrove

Hi,

i probably have to realign the rim when i mound a new body?

Probably not.
I.e. I don't see any reason for it but I think the 9/10S body won't fit on the older hub. Not sure though.....
If the latter is the case, maybe a new hub would be the wisest option but then you definetely will have to check dish and realign accordingly.

b: I haven't check this yet but if they should have spacers for the Campy 10S then that should help.

Ciao, :wink:
Being a snob is an expensive hobby.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Racing Aardvark

by Racing Aardvark

fdegrove wrote:Probably not.
I.e. I don't see any reason for it but I think the 9/10S body won't fit on the older hub. Not sure though.....
If the latter is the case, maybe a new hub would be the wisest option but then you definetely will have to check dish and realign accordingly.

b: I haven't check this yet but if they should have spacers for the Campy 10S then that should help.

Any decent shop should be able to do this for you. When I changed my shifter's internals to 9spd, I had my Shamal's freehub body upgraded to 9/10 spd compatibiilty. Assuming you don't have the very first generation Shamal you should be OK. Mine involved a new freehub body, no re-dishing required. I also had this done to my other rear race wheel.

michel2

by michel2

that would be really great !!
bu no dishing is sort of hard to believe,altough iam not sure i ques they could use a shorter lock nut with a wider body ?
anyway good news,
if the shamals are not the verry first ones ?i dont know,there the silver ones ?
molto grazie tutti

Racing Aardvark

by Racing Aardvark

pretty certain there was no redishing, as I had tubulars glued on and they didn't redo them (as the nipples are only accessible through the rim).

Mine are the 16 spoke version, seen here:

Boonen

by Boonen

I have those wheels as well. (although they are almost 'dead')
You can easily replace the 8s body with a first generation 9/10s body. The with is the same so you don't have to redish the wheel, it is all pretty basic.
See if you LBS has some old veloce 9s hub laying around that can act as a donor for your wheel as the newer body's don't fit in there.
Good luck with the wheels, I have really enjoyed training on these for some years now (even did some racing on them, was ok)

michel2

by michel2

beautyful!now were getting some were,
btw aardvark that's a beuaty of a bike you have there, zero uno tubing ?

iam gonna see if i can get some old hubs,should be doing fine!

Dalai

by Dalai

PMed Sharkman as in an earlier thread had confirmed it is possible, as I too have these wheels and want to convert them to 10 speed.

His reply was as follows:

The silver shamals are still superb!

Well if want to change the axle you could change it back (but I wouldn't take the effort.
What you need is an old 9 speed (and 9 speed only) hub (about 1999) with the thin axle. Athena would be fine and then exchange the axle plus freewheel (a ring might be needed). If you like to fiddle a bit with bikepart it won't be too hard (I wouldn't start if you got no experience with the stuff at all).

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Racing Aardvark

by Racing Aardvark

michel2 wrote:btw aardvark that's a beuaty of a bike you have there, zero uno tubing ?

Actually, it was Zero, not Zero Uno. The original fork was a matching Zero Uno. Moot point, as the bike was recently killed courtesy of a driver.