2002 Magura Martas or Custom 2003 XTR Disc

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

rmslayer

by rmslayer

Hello,

Which is lighter?

2002 Magura Marta complete system - at 350 grams each

or

2003 XTR Calipers
XT Brake Levers
XTR hydro brake cables
XT Disc Rotors

Has anybody done this. I don't know the weight of this setup. Which one would you recommend?

Thanks in advance.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

TT

by TT

the marta setup is lighter, I believe, because:
- levers are slightly lighter
- rotors are slightly lighter
- calipers are a wash

visby(SK)

by visby(SK)

i would prefer the XTR discs, the weight difference is minimal and the XTR discs are much better... XTR calipers are the best on the lightweight market now...

Durango rider

by Durango rider

You should email charles@hammerheadbikes.com

I've seen his personal bake set up with 2002 Martas, 2003 Martas. and 2003 XTR calipers XT levers. However, I think he used the 160mm 2002 marta rotors with the XTR calipers.

The last time I saw his bike, he was running the XTR calipers, XT levers and Magura rotors and he loved the combo. He raved about it.

He's also a weight weenie, so I'm sure he has weighed all the combos.

--
Eric Stradal

Bob

by Bob

The new 03 Marta SL's are even lighter now, I think they are at around 324g, they have a carbon fiber lever, check out the system that Stans has, Marta SL with a aluminum rotor, its even lighter, 282 grams! By not using the XTR stuff you can use much lighter hubs like American Classic or Hugi's, they are much lighter than XTR hubs.

Tib

by Tib

if you want the lightest, don't take the XT rotors : 138 grs one. these were installed standard, and i'm looking for rotors marta SL : 98 grs one. gain of 40 grs, 80 the pair.
but i ignore if the braking surface is identical, or if there will have the same brakes performance... if someone have and advice on this topic... before i decide to order a pair...
Never give up... never surrender !

morecanuck4thebuck

by morecanuck4thebuck

Hey guys, i'm new to the forum but have come to the realization that i am a weight weenie (at heart) so i'm in need of fellow weeny friends! I am currently using the xtr caliper and shifter setup with a marta sl wavy rotor. It is 160mm, same as the xtr, and the performance is just as good if not better (due to mud dispersion). plus the marta sl rotor is approx 40g per rotor lighter than the xt rotors i was using withe the xtr calipers. hope this helps. lates...

elendil

by elendil

I would go for the Marta with Marta SL rotors. Weight per pair should be <700g. And the Marta is much better than XTR. The carbon levers (Marta SL) only save 8g/pair compared to al-levers (Marta). If you want to save even more weight: Marta SL with AL-rotors and ti-hardware. Should be <580g!!!

nikh

by nikh

I just bought the Marta. For $50 more and a 5g difference I couldn't justify the price of the SL (I must be getting old, lol!).

According to people I know who use them they even prefer the feel of the Marta lever opposed to the carbon.
PLAY DARTS! *WARNING* MUST HAVE A SENSE OF HUMOR TO PLAY!!!

Frankie - B
Admin - In the industry

by Frankie - B

What did you buy the Marta for? New project Nikh?
'Tape was made to wrap your GF's gifts, NOT hold a freakin tire on.'
If you want to see 'meh' content of me and my bike you can follow my life in pictures here!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

nikh

by nikh

Yeah a new singlespeed bike, somebody help me :? :mrgreen:
PLAY DARTS! *WARNING* MUST HAVE A SENSE OF HUMOR TO PLAY!!!