tubular tyre pressure?

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

jackattackfr

by jackattackfr

hi , I have never had tubular before but i will soon.
Just wondering if the pressure in the tubies are similar to what we put in tires/clinchers...etc?
on wet or dry.
any users?
thank you.
Jack.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

hockinsk

by hockinsk

We all have our opinions and preferences, but for me tubulars seem to remain more comfortable and usable at lower and higher pressures than clinchers. I always think my clinchers have a much narrower range of usable pressure that feels good.

jackattackfr

by jackattackfr

just want to find out some range.
like for me I put around 100 -110 psi in my clinchers and lower that a touch when the ground it wet.

can i use similar pressure on a tubular?
I am new to tubular and understand that it stays on the rim mostly thanks to the pressure in it.
so I was wondering if there was some kind of pressure recommendation as safety to keep the tubular on the rim?

thanks
Jack

occor

by occor

jackattackfr wrote:just want to find out some range.
like for me I put around 100 -110 psi in my clinchers and lower that a touch when the ground it wet.

can i use similar pressure on a tubular?
I am new to tubular and understand that it stays on the rim mostly thanks to the pressure in it.
so I was wondering if there was some kind of pressure recommendation as safety to keep the tubular on the rim?

thanks
Jack

Things to consider. Don't overestimate how much pressure contributes to tire adherence to the rim. You can generally use less pressure in tubulars than clinchers. Pinch flats are very rare with tubulars and higher PSI does not necessarily equal less rolling resistance. What is the optimal pressure for you depends on your weight, width and model of tire and the surface conditions you will be riding on.

dee

by dee

I'm 66 kilos and use 90f/95r.

rikdewy

by rikdewy

I find you can use 5-10psi less with tubs and achieve the same performance with more comfort.
It's all about the bike! well nearly all.

jackattackfr

by jackattackfr

thank you.

otoman

by otoman

jackattackfr wrote:I ... understand that it stays on the rim mostly thanks to the pressure in it.

thanks
Jack

Not correct. Clinchers stay on the rim due to the pressure in the inner tube. Tubulars stay on the rim because of the glue: totally unrelated to the pressure in the tire. This creates one of the advantages of tubulars, namely you can safely run a lower pressure without pinch flatting.

To answer your question, I am 78 kg / 172 lbs and run 105 psi front /110 psi rear in a 22mm tubular when on dry pavement
Age and treachery shall overcome youth and skill

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

C'mon, it's all about your weight. Please tell us. I run 120 -125 psi at 86 kg body weight. This is for a 23 mm tire.
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.

djconnel

by djconnel

rikdewy wrote:I find you can use 5-10psi less with tubs and achieve the same performance with more comfort.

From a rolling resistance perspective, one can debate whether at the same pressure tubs or clinchers are better, but at 10 psi lower for the tubs, I believe the clinchers of the same quality will be lower resistance if used with latex tubes.

Of course, lower pressure may be better for reasons other than rolling resistance.
Last edited by djconnel on Fri Jan 08, 2010 5:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

SL58

by SL58

Not correct. Clinchers stay on the rim due to the pressure in the inner tube. Tubulars stay on the rim because of the glue: totally unrelated to the pressure in the tire

This is not true. You can peel deflated off the rim tire but doing so
with tire inflated is nearly impssible.

My ipression is that I can use higher pressure in tub w/same level of comfort.
So I use 107 clincher and 115 tubular with slight variations for dry/wet and front/rear.
Both are 20mm.

hockinsk

by hockinsk

I agree. Air pressure alone provides 70% of the force required to keep a tubular on the rim. The glue just gives you the extra 30% which is especially useful when you need to ride it a few miles home or to the team car completely flat. There are plenty of examples of riders not using glue at all and i've done the odd club TT & sunday ride without using glue. Just take it a bit slower on the corners that's all!

I would agree a tubular still feels comfortable and lively even up to 140-150psi whereas clinchers tend to start feeling a bit dead and too hard a ride. Not that you gain anything riding higher pressures, so it's kind of immaterial.

jackattackfr

by jackattackfr

thanks that helps.
I am 175 lbs so I sort of know what to shoot for now. I am gonna go for 10 to 15 psi more the clincher of similar size.
and then take it from there based on the comfort I look for.

anyone have the easton EC90 aero? is there a max tubular pressure recommended for that rim?

thank you.

mrg13

by mrg13

Hello,

I also need some advice. I am newbie using tubular tires, Continental Competition. They have told me the recommended pressure is 140 psi with maximum 170 psi. I weight ~60 kg /130 lbs. What pressure should I use? I have tried using them at 140psi and I liked the feeling.

mnslc

by mnslc

mrg13, I run the conti comps at 90 front 100 rear on dry pavement and weigh 150 lbs. Much more comfortable at this range, but an interesting concept that you might be able to get away with more pressure due to less vertical impact at 130 lbs.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com