Powercranks - yes or no?

A light bike doesn't replace good fitness.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Alexey Meteo

by Alexey Meteo

I'm thinking about ordering them.... have anybody used them? Searching gives not much info.

RichTheRoadie
Tinker, Taylor, Tart

by RichTheRoadie

I'm really intrigued by them too, but being both a bike tart and a weight weenie means the only way I'd be happy is to get the XLites in black... :roll:

Really want to try them though - would be good to hear some real world thoughts. I know one of the Pez folk uses them.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Alexey Meteo

by Alexey Meteo

for me ww factor is aside, I've got a 6 kg race bike and don't pay attention to my training one weight.

to buy such thing meens to use them much, but not put 'em on scale))

RichTheRoadie
Tinker, Taylor, Tart

by RichTheRoadie

I only have 1 bike - they need to be as light as possible, training aid or otherwise :wink:

devinci

by devinci

I say no

it as been shown that pedaling circle is kind of an exagerated thing. A study shown the pros push more on the down stroke then amateur and these pros pull less on the upstroke then amateur. I dont think you need these to be better or to have a better pedaling technique. I also read somewhere (cant remember where) that pedaling technique is pretty much overrated in cycling, the only thing that matters is producing power, whatever method you use, it wasnt said like that, but...

nitropowered

by nitropowered

The people who use them (and those who sell them) say they are the greatest thing ever.

But other people have said otherwise. Think about it, you will produce far more power on the downstroke than the upstroke.

RichTheRoadie
Tinker, Taylor, Tart

by RichTheRoadie

But if you are able to add to the power of the leg on the downstroke with a bit extra from the leg on the upstroke... :unbelievable:

devinci

by devinci

it does not work that way. I will search for that graphic/study and try to post it. I think it was a quadrant analysis of pedaling technique by Dr Andy Coggan

RichTheRoadie
Tinker, Taylor, Tart

by RichTheRoadie

Fair enough, but the results from using Powercranks say otherwise.

Likewise your statement that "pedaling technique is pretty much overrated in cycling, the only thing that matters is producing power, whatever method you use, it wasnt said like that, but..." needs clarifying as I have noticed massive improvements from refining my technique (now much smoother thanks to time spent on the rollers) and I have eliminated a waggling knee which I was wasting power trying to stabilise.

I am essentially a 'masher' / 'stomper', but when I do think to work in circles and 'souplesse' I am faster and feel more efficient - if the Powercranks can enhance that, I'm interested.

devinci

by devinci

I found a link relating Dr Ed Coyle research on the subject. Not quite the link I was looking for, but have a read, especially the paragraphs above figure 1 and below it.

http://www.bicycle.net/2007/pedaling-technique-basics

kingtom

by kingtom

i guess, if i train to ride often with only one and then the other leg, that will bring me the nearly the same benefits as with a expensive power- or smartcrank.

devinci

by devinci

kingtom wrote:i guess, if i train to ride often with only one and then the other leg, that will bring me the nearly the same benefits as with a expensive power- or smartcrank.

I you train often with only one and then the other leg, it will make you better at riding with one, then the other leg...

why going that far? Train hard and you will have the benefits, there is no magic formula.

Tapeworm

by Tapeworm

No no no. Save your money. Powercranks are a fantastic example of junk science and physiology at best. There are several problems with powercranks. They train the body to be good at using powercranks. The muscles involved in the "pulling" phase are smaller and the effect if training them to a greater extent simply means you don't train as much in the downstroke. Essentially you are detraining the muscles you should be using. You body has a finite ability to produce power, why curtail this further by using smaller muscle groups?

Dr Jim Martin has also done some work in this field. However his work is looking at single leg training which is counterweighted ie: mimicking a normal pedal stroke.

Question I have is - why use a gimmick? Just train hard and smart, it will have a better effect. A powermeter is far better investment than powercranks.
"Physiology is all just propaganda and lies... all waiting to be disproven by the next study."
"I'm not a real doctor; But I am a real worm; I am an actual worm." - TMBG

RichTheRoadie
Tinker, Taylor, Tart

by RichTheRoadie

I hear you Tapeworm - nice clear reasoning, thanks

devinci

by devinci

its kind of what I was saying, but Tapeworm explains it much better. Probably the language barrier here... sorry

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com