New Quarq+Garmin Edge 500 or Used Wired SRAM SRM Powermeter?

A light bike doesn't replace good fitness.

Moderator: Moderator Team

teetopkram

by teetopkram

Hi all -

Looking for a power meter, and have two options I am considering. Am interested in your opinions on pros/cons of each in terms of reliability, better value, warranty concerns, performance, etc.

SRM: 1 year old SRAM SRM wired powermeter with PCV computer, everything included, very good condition, just got back completely serviced, calibrated, and new batteries from SRM - $1750.

Quarq: Would be buying new, using the Garmin Edge 500 for the computer. Advantages are wireless and get a warranty. $1795 for crank/quarq, and $400 for Edge 500 with HR/Cadence/Speed = $2195 total.

Any thoughts...would reliability of SRM be a concern given it would come without warranty? Is one more easy to maintain (e.g., change batteries) than the other?

Thanks for your opinions!

caamano

by caamano

I recently debated your question myself. I currently use a wired SRM Pro powermeter and have been extremely happy with it. I find it very easy to use and have never had any problems with it. Calibration is easily accomplished prior to each ride by waking the system and pressing a few buttons.
However, I'm in the process of building a new bike and would like to swap a powermeter back and forth easily, without purchasing another wire set for the new bike. Enter the Quarq Saturn mounted on a SRAM S900 crankset.
The benefit of the Quarq would be that you can change the battery yourself with no special tools. Obviously, it's a wireless, ANT+ system and can be paired to various cycle computers.
So, I've decided to upgrade to the Quarq system. Whatever route you decide to take, you cannot go wrong by training with power. There is no better way to ensure that you're getting the most out of your workouts.
By the way, I'm selling my SRM for considerably less than what you are looking to spend on a similar unit. Drop me a line if you decide on SRM.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Maverick

by Maverick

To follow-up with what caamano just wrote:

1. That price for wired SRM sounds high. I just sold my wireless SRM Pro (SRM branded cranks) with PCVI for $2,400AU, so assuming that price for wired SRAM is USD, sounds a little high, as mine was also 1 year old, just had new battery and service and new dura ace chainrings fitted/calibrated and I included an ultegra and dura ace octalink bottom bracket both basically brand new with the SRM for the buyer.

2. I am probably going to be riding a new SRAM S975 Quark and mate it with a Garmin 705 or 500 for my new powermeter. I like the idea of replacing the battery myself, and because I am riding SRAM this year ties in well.

nitropowered

by nitropowered

You don't need to buy the Speed/Cad bundle with the 500. You will probably not use that sensor (the CinQo has a cad sensor)

Buy the computer only and a seperate HR strap. If you are dead set on the Speed/Cad sensor, I'll sell you mine for $30. I have the same setup except with a 705 and used it for a few rides before I realized it was just redundant and useless.

On the other hand, the SRM price is way high. Check ebay, used units go for way less. Battery changes in the SRM are $100 for the crank unit and $50 for the PC, so keep that in mind. I know you can change the batteries yourself if you have the skills, I'm trying to compare apples to apples.

teetopkram

by teetopkram

nitropowered wrote:You don't need to buy the Speed/Cad bundle with the 500. You will probably not use that sensor (the CinQo has a cad sensor)

Buy the computer only and a seperate HR strap. If you are dead set on the Speed/Cad sensor, I'll sell you mine for $30. I have the same setup except with a 705 and used it for a few rides before I realized it was just redundant and useless.

On the other hand, the SRM price is way high. Check ebay, used units go for way less. Battery changes in the SRM are $100 for the crank unit and $50 for the PC, so keep that in mind. I know you can change the batteries yourself if you have the skills, I'm trying to compare apples to apples.

thanks everyone for the advice. For the poster above, if I only use the Garmin 500 with the HR strap, and use the cadence from the quarq, where would speed measurement come from without a sensor? Is this done via GPS?

I don't ride indoors on a trainer (benefit of living in Florida), so I wouldn't need a separate sensor for speed for that purpose.

Mark

nitropowered

by nitropowered

Speed via GPS

SW

by SW

I debated the exact same question last year, and after a lot of research I took my chances with the Quarq. I was using it with an ibike for a head unit, but recently ordered the Garmin 500. All I can say is how glad I am I went with the Quarq. It's been bomb-proof in the rain (survived racing in Belgium), easy to zero, very steady over various temperatures, and the battery is a huge plus. The battery died on me during a stage race, but I was able to replace it in literally 2 seconds, and still had power data for the next stage, a huge plus IMO.

I've never used an SRM, but lot's of teammates have them, and you can't really go wrong there. The system is very solid and shouldn't be an issue without the warranty, but if you do decide to go with the SRM, unless you really want SRAM cranks, find a better deal on a DA one or even the SRM crank arms.

So, while they're both going to be great systems, the fact that the Quarq is wireless, user replaceable battery, lighter (this is WW!), and gives you just as good data and durability, that's what I would go with. Hope that helps!

teetopkram

by teetopkram

SW wrote:I debated the exact same question last year, and after a lot of research I took my chances with the Quarq. I was using it with an ibike for a head unit, but recently ordered the Garmin 500. All I can say is how glad I am I went with the Quarq. It's been bomb-proof in the rain (survived racing in Belgium), easy to zero, very steady over various temperatures, and the battery is a huge plus. The battery died on me during a stage race, but I was able to replace it in literally 2 seconds, and still had power data for the next stage, a huge plus IMO.

I've never used an SRM, but lot's of teammates have them, and you can't really go wrong there. The system is very solid and shouldn't be an issue without the warranty, but if you do decide to go with the SRM, unless you really want SRAM cranks, find a better deal on a DA one or even the SRM crank arms.

So, while they're both going to be great systems, the fact that the Quarq is wireless, user replaceable battery, lighter (this is WW!), and gives you just as good data and durability, that's what I would go with. Hope that helps!

Perfect...it's what I am going with...Thanks!

parajba

by parajba

Is it possible to use the Quarq for power and the Garmin (with its GSC10 sensor and HRM) for cadence, speed and heart rate? Or, do I have to use the cadence from the Quarq?

Does the Quarq provide left/right power, and would it allow me to use all the features of WKO+?

mrlobber

by mrlobber

parajba wrote:Is it possible to use the Quarq for power and the Garmin (with its GSC10 sensor and HRM) for cadence, speed and heart rate?

Absolutely, no problems with that.

parajba wrote:Does the Quarq provide left/right power, and would it allow me to use all the features of WKO+?

No, it doesn't. You have to buy a pedal-based PM, to have this left/right functionality.
Minimum bike categories required in the stable:
Aero bike | GC bike | GC rim bike | Climbing bike | Climbing rim bike | Classics bike | Gravel bike | TT bike | Indoors bike

Rick

by Rick

Just a heads up" Neuvation has complete powertap SL+ wheels for $695

Martinski76

by Martinski76

I use both SRM and Quarq with my Garmin 800, to be honest I do not see the difference. I like the Quarq product for its user friendly aspects, mind you the SRM is the original power meter concept.
INMO it is down to your budget and personal preference, noth are very good systems.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com