Bowties and Bolts for Speedplay Zero

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

DACID

by DACID

I want to buy a set of Speedplay zero but I cant afford the Nanograms @ $600 buck so I would like to get a set of Stainless or Titanium and shave off some weight by changing the bowties and bolts. Any one know where to get a set of Titanium, Scandium or Aluminum Bowties and bolts for the Zero's.

Please help I need to shed weight. Yes I will NOT have the fries with that.
GET OUR & RIDE!

Frankie - B
Admin - In the industry

by Frankie - B

Bernhard at BTP is your friend ;)

http://www.b-t-p.de/B-T-P_Team/b-t-p_team1.html

Ciao
'Tape was made to wrap your GF's gifts, NOT hold a freakin tire on.'
If you want to see 'meh' content of me and my bike you can follow my life in pictures here!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Cheers!

by Cheers!

SL58

by SL58

You can get away using Alu. bolts for inserts - I do - for more than a 2 years.
However do not forget to lighten up a cleat - all four M4 screws and 3 screws
for adapter can be Ti.
Also Torx screw that holds pedal body on axle can be Ti.

Gregorio

by Gregorio

Sounds like this would be a better upgrade than the bowties, imo would not last and would damage the cleat which costs about $35usd to replace.
I would consider this http://shop.titaniumspindles.com/
I wish I could give credit to whomever posted this 1st but I cant remember where I saw it. Sounds like a good option

marchitect

by marchitect

I've also seen lighter ceramic bearings offered for the Zero's.
They seem to offered frequently on Ebay.

mattcooke
Resident Pro

by mattcooke

Gregorio, will the aluminum bowties really damage my cleats? If I have Ti Zeros already it seems the bowties are what I need to do next.
Thank you.

Gregorio

by Gregorio

I have never used the Aluminum ones but have heard from others that they will wear quickly.
I did replace my cleats on a set of Zeros and the cleat broke (the metal 'C' shaped piece) after only about 1000 miles.
I thought it was a fluke, replaced the cleat again and that one broke after a very short time. Then I realized that the bow tie was worn, it will get very sharp. I replaced the bow ties and solved my problem.
Its possible that the Al is too soft to damage the steel piece in the cleat

The savings of weight is not worth the increased maintainence...to me atleast. The Ti spindles wont wear out and would seem to be the better option.

SL58

by SL58

[quote][/quote]I did replace my cleats on a set of Zeros and the cleat broke (the metal 'C' shaped piece) after only about 1000 miles.

I have bowties on X1 and after two years they show slightest wear and no damage
to the cleat whatsoever.

However Zero is a different story. I've seen countless reports of people
replacing cleats too soon, braking them and so on. And people are still byuing
this overengeneered piece of crap. There is no "free float" compare to X1
and whatever float there is is restricted. What is the advantage?

dhfreak

by dhfreak

Gregorio wrote:Sounds like this would be a better upgrade than the bowties, imo would not last and would damage the cleat which costs about $35usd to replace.
I would consider this http://shop.titaniumspindles.com/
I wish I could give credit to whomever posted this 1st but I cant remember where I saw it. Sounds like a good option

I just ordered a set for my EggBeaters and I'm getting ready to order a set for my Speedplays. I've corresponded with the guy that runs the company a few times and he has been extremely helpful thus far; definitely gets my vote!

Mike

Butcher
Shop Owner

by Butcher

I received my ti spindles from titaniumspindles.com and they are a work of art. A terrific price and great people to work with. As for toronto cycles and their bowties, I believe they do not have them for the Zero's. Matter of fact I could not find them in Black or Red from anyone. Cadenceworks.com has a limited supply of Zero bowties but the wrong color for me.

mattcooke
Resident Pro

by mattcooke

Thanks guys for posting all that info on where to find stuff. I need to be pretty stealth about my weight savings so I think things like bolts and pedal parts are the way to go.
-Cookie

ferrarista

by ferrarista

Butcher wrote:I received my ti spindles from titaniumspindles.com and they are a work of art. A terrific price and great people to work with. As for toronto cycles and their bowties, I believe they do not have them for the Zero's. Matter of fact I could not find them in Black or Red from anyone. Cadenceworks.com has a limited supply of Zero bowties but the wrong color for me.

so they make the spindles for speedplays ? I don't see them on their website. I would love to change the stainless spindle on my x-2 , especially at the price they sell.
██

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Butcher
Shop Owner

by Butcher

ferrarista wrote:
Butcher wrote:I received my ti spindles from titaniumspindles.com and they are a work of art. A terrific price and great people to work with. As for toronto cycles and their bowties, I believe they do not have them for the Zero's. Matter of fact I could not find them in Black or Red from anyone. Cadenceworks.com has a limited supply of Zero bowties but the wrong color for me.

so they make the spindles for speedplays ? I don't see them on their website. I would love to change the stainless spindle on my x-2 , especially at the price they sell.

Yeah, they do, but I just looked on the site and it is not there. They were there about three weeks ago. Try emailing them [Wade answered me within 24 hours]. Maybe they sold out of the production run or maybe they are hiding from Speedplay. All I know is that I have a pair of spindles that match the nanogram's [no wrench flats] sitting in front of me. They were slightly more money [15 or 20 US dollars] but that is only because they had a sale of the regular versions with wrench flats [<$50].