Di2 tuning

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

theremery

by theremery

Rusty....???? Cables aren't power sources. The regenerative was re recharging the battery pack so it could be made smaller and lighter. The obvious question/point would be that whatever regenerative method was used would have to weigh less than the difference in battery pack masses, so ultimately, it's not going to happen because a minimalised LiPo battery will probably only weigh 15 or so grams anyway (after the weenies really get to grip with them). I can't imagine a microscopic generator (that I could afford or build) weighing less than the 15g, let alone the fact that a regenerative one would still need SOME battery storgage.
Updated: Racing again! Thought this was unlikely! Eventually, I may even have a decent race!
Edit: 2015: darn near won the best South Island series (got second in age
-group)..woo hoo Racy Theremery is back!!

rustychain

by rustychain

Did not say they (cables) were a power source but a way to transmit power :smartass:
like I said....KISS :beerchug:
WW Velocipedist Gargantuan

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Cycloholic

by Cycloholic

2 wheels wrote:
coloclimber wrote:Image

Is this the weight fully charged or empty? :lol:

Hahahahaha

Leloby

by Leloby

A customer of mine came round the other day and told me he is working on a 'blue-tooth' conversion for his Di2. And...he is working on this for braking also. :?

I had to get him to explain this blue-tooth thing as I don't use it (I don't think). Anyway - sounds plausible and judging my the technological complexity of his BMW motor car (which he baffled me with its workings), I wouldn't be surprised if he knows what hes doing.

I had a shot of his Di2 setup and liked it very much. His battery unit was a modified radio controlled racing car battery setup. This apparently, made it heavier. I told him to 'get with it' - he laughed it off.

coloclimber

by coloclimber

Bluetooth needs a battery and receiver at all points. RD, FD and shifters= heavier.
-Deacon Doctor Colorado Slim

Leloby

by Leloby

...and you'd need to wear one of those idiotic blue-flashing hearing-aid things presumably.

I won't be 'buying into' that idea.

Super_fast

by Super_fast

Leloby wrote:A customer of mine came round the other day and told me he is working on a 'blue-tooth' conversion for his Di2. And...he is working on this for braking also. :?

I had to get him to explain this blue-tooth thing as I don't use it (I don't think). Anyway - sounds plausible and judging my the technological complexity of his BMW motor car (which he baffled me with its workings), I wouldn't be surprised if he knows what hes doing.

I had a shot of his Di2 setup and liked it very much. His battery unit was a modified radio controlled racing car battery setup. This apparently, made it heavier. I told him to 'get with it' - he laughed it off.

He definitely doesn't know what he is doing, because using bluetooth for such an application is plain stupid. The power consumption of bluetooth is really high, for example something like Ant (or any other ultra low power protocol) would be a much better choice.
The only reason to use bluetooth is when you'd want to use your mobile phone as a gear shifter. :lol:

Leloby

by Leloby

Sounds like a good idea. Voice activated with the silly blue flashing hearing-aid unit relaying the words to the front and rear units.

"Up" for an up change and "down" for a down change. Or similar words in whichever language you use. You'd need corresponding code words for the front derailleur mechanism.

Not sure what you would say to the brake calipers if these had servo-operation installed but it could range from a sofly spoken "stop" to a full-on bellowing "STOP" if an emergency ensued. Such as a stray dog crossing the road aimlessly.

You may laugh but this is part of normal life for a lot of bodily-disfunctioned people. Some lucky rich disabled people have nearly every operation in their homes running on voice activation. Kettles, toasters, coffee machines, bum-wiping-machines etc.

Personally, I'm not sure it would work on a push bike.

JensW

by JensW

would like to se anyone using bluetoot :D my first thought was tour de france, and everybody racing for the finish, and then there is a crash becouse somebodys bluetooth brakes has been scrambled :D

coloclimber

by coloclimber

btp saves 6gr a side over 7900 ti clamps = 12gr total.

Front cables 20gr

BeeBee30

by BeeBee30

I know some people run those BTP clamps with no issues, but I never felt comfortable with mine and took them off again, I'm sure if somebody marketed a set of Ti ones they'd make a killing. Wasn't somebody on the forum gonna make some?
Ti or dye!

The Weenie formally known as CAADHEAD

GZA

by GZA

CAADHEAD wrote:I know some people run those BTP clamps with no issues, but I never felt comfortable with mine and took them off again, I'm sure if somebody marketed a set of Ti ones they'd make a killing. Wasn't somebody on the forum gonna make some?

Yep - Shimano ;-)

maxxevv

by maxxevv

GZA wrote:
CAADHEAD wrote:I know some people run those BTP clamps with no issues, but I never felt comfortable with mine and took them off again, I'm sure if somebody marketed a set of Ti ones they'd make a killing. Wasn't somebody on the forum gonna make some?

Yep - Shimano ;-)

Yep ... the Di2 ones are already in titanium. I believe the 7900 ones too. :thumbup:

But... I'm using the BTP ones on my Di2 as well. :mrgreen:

coloclimber

by coloclimber

Instead of reposting pics in this thread, please see the gallery thread of Di2 tuning on my project bike in the gallery.
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=67791" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Summary-
-32 grams eliminating the harness
-29 grams on the battery case
-14 grams on the rear derailleur pulleys and pivot bolt
-12 grams on the clamps

+ a small amount on connectors, shrink wrap, foam, tape etc.

As stated before, switching to smaller cels could save maybe 20 grams. You would need another charger though and I chose to stick to the same harness and charger for both Di2 bikes.

Ari

by Ari

A bit over 3 oz of weight loss. Impressive work.

Might be easier to take a piss before a ride though :mrgreen:
Seven Axiom Ti, Reynolds UL Fork, Campagnolo Super Record 11

In Progress: Salsa Podio, Alpha Q GS10 Fork, Campagnolo Chorus 11

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com