Forum Polices Locking Posts

Bring your questions & complaints to the Weight Weenies moderators, here! Also, News & Announcements. Use the other boards for bike related talks.
Zerotrek

by Zerotrek

I've been on the internet since 1994 and a member of many forums. I'm curious why people get so upset when a question is asked that others have asked before? Almost immediately you get the posters typing in "search the forum" or "google it".

What's the big deal? If you don't find the post interesting it only takes two clicks to go back to the main forum. I noticed someone asked on Dec 5th for Wilier pics and the post was locked in less than a day. I don't see anything in the forum polices stating don't ask for pictures because you can just google it.

Can anyone explain what's the big deal? Isn't it easier to go two clicks back than post something we all, or almost all know? Most likely the poster couldn't find what he or she was looking for.

An example, last year I asked a question about a certain setup on a bike and was told "search the forum there was a posting 3 months ago about that", and my post was locked. Turns out someone PM'd me with a new product that just came out and solved my problem, no one else will see that solution because the post was locked.

Sorry, I'm dense I just don't get what the big deal is to leave the post open or not respond if your not interested. Just like all the replies to questions about the ride of certain bikes where someone always feels the need to post, "dude, just test ride the bikes and decide yourself". Well 50% of us live in areas where we can't test ride every frame and if we want the bike we need to make special orders that dealers won't make unless you're buying.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

KB

by KB

Because it gets messy, that's why. I use the BBC Sport website and on the Rugby section there are multiple threads on the same subject and it's a mess. Hence the suggestion to use search.

bJay

by bJay

i can see this thread being locked... :mrgreen:

if you dont like the way the forum is run surely 'it only takes two clicks' to a different forum...
a riddle wrapped in an enigma wrapped in lycra

Life is like riding a bicycle - in order to keep your balance, you must keep moving.
Albert Einstein

Redddraggon

by Redddraggon

Zerotrek wrote:An example, last year I asked a question about a certain setup on a bike and was told "search the forum there was a posting 3 months ago about that", and my post was locked. Turns out someone PM'd me with a new product that just came out and solved my problem, no one else will see that solution because the post was locked.

Post in the old thread then, and keep that current and upto date, rather than moaning.

RWH

by RWH

I agree with Zerotrek. Why lock the post? If the post is not interesting, it will simply disappear down the order. If somebody knows an old thread or has other information related to topic and post it on the new thread, great and the poster is on its way.
A little bit of courtesy is appreciated. Not everybody is fluent on internet searches or some people simply do not have the time and hope this forum can help them further with information.

For me this formum has been a great source of information sofar.
Never give up, never say die.

Frankie - B
Admin - In the industry

by Frankie - B

Well, I moved this thread to the appropriate forum :mrgreen:

The answers that were given by other forum members cover your question quite well.
Nobody likes a forum to become messy as that makes it harder to read.

Also posts like that have 'lazy' written all over them. Google is your friend in a lot of searches.

And to add to Reddraggons argument. there is indeed no need to start a new thread if there is an older one that can be kept up to date.
'Tape was made to wrap your GF's gifts, NOT hold a freakin tire on.'
If you want to see 'meh' content of me and my bike you can follow my life in pictures here!

Zerotrek

by Zerotrek

I appreciate your responses, strange to suggest I go to another forum as I was just asking a question. Guess it's the same with most road cyclists I meet who can't acknowledge a hello from a fellow rider.

As I've mentioned I would call myself an advanced computer user and I use google for everything and in fact found this forum in 2005 when googling a derailleur issue I had.

Redddraggon, I don't think you'd use the same tone if I were standing in front of you that people use on the internet, at least I hope not. I always reply the same way as if the person was in my presence, respectfully. Saying I'm "moaning" is a wonderful first response to someone you've never met and is asking a question. I hope you're not in sales. I asked a question, you answered, but thank you, you've reminded me why I use the internet for information and not communication.

To those with helpful responses, thank you. I belong to a lot of forums, but probably read a forum once a month at best, I didn't realize they get so "messy".

My apologies for posting in the wrong place.

KB

by KB

I qualified the messy statement on the basis of what I have seen on other sites of multiple threads on the same subject; and I stand by that statement. Some will argue that things are too quickly removed and a couple of times I have thought the same. However, as one the mods has quoted in the past, this place is not a democracy: it's run on what the mods consider to be the way it should be managed.

I've been on this site for close on 5 years. About 18 months ago, this site was losing it's way and Fairwheelbikes was partly set up because some of the regulars on here got fed up of some of the people and the way it was going and moved over. Luckily, the mods got rid of the troublesome elements and the general attitude and behaviour has improved a great deal since then.

So, you takes your choice. In my case, I accept the mods decisions as being in the overall good of this site.

Redddraggon

by Redddraggon

I should really avoid replying to these threads, because I'm not a mod, and don't want to be become a vigilante mod.

mattr

by mattr

One of the snowboarding forums i use currently has either 5 or 6 "How do i wax my snowboard" threads on the front page, only one of them with more than about 5 posts on. Its that time of year when everyone needs to get their gear ready for the snow.

Which one do i click on to find out how to wax my snowboard?

The longest one? The newest one? The one started by someone i know? The one in the correct subforum (Equipment)?

Actually, if i search for waxing, there are about 40 threads to choose from, going back to 2004......... so, over to you guys......?

We have a choice combining/locking duplicate threads to make life easy i.e. one place for each subject and risk the occasional deletion of a slightly different subject? Or just let them grow freely, so we end up with numerous different threads asking if a 2010 11 speed super record rear mech will work on a Sram 9 speed block using 7800 shifters and a 10mm pitch chain..........

deepsky

by deepsky

People need to visit truly large forums if they think this place even has the membership to get messy even if every active member posted frivolous threads daily. :)

Zerotrek-
It is unfortunately a habit of some folks on this board to tell people to gtfo if they have questions like this. You get used to it, and get actual help from elsewhere. I read this forum for information, not communication as well, for the most part. It's a damn shame because there are some truly knowledgeable people on this forum, but even in my short time here, I have seen several rude responses to people asking a question, even from moderators, and then the thread gets locked. We are all cyclists, I truly do not get the rank elitism that some evince here :(

danventura

by danventura

I like Zerotrek's question. It even relates to a beef I posted a month or so ago about the new posting rules -- some people don't post because they worry they don't have anything to say that will pass muster with the holy men (whomever they are). "If you don't like it, go elsewhere" is the worst response ever, especially to an honest question/suggestion for improvement.

And I totally agree with deepsky. There are really nice, helpful people on this board, and some that are, well, less so. I do think the anonymity of the internet exacerbates this as someone else mentioned, but it is really no different than any "first-life" group of people. It is a mixed bag.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com