New rules for posting For Sale

Bring your questions & complaints to the Weight Weenies moderators, here! Also, News & Announcements. Use the other boards for bike related talks.
Frankie - B
Admin - In the industry

by Frankie - B

Szczuldo; thanks for your comments. We decided to go that way in order to keep the forum read able.

Thanks
'Tape was made to wrap your GF's gifts, NOT hold a freakin tire on.'
If you want to see 'meh' content of me and my bike you can follow my life in pictures here!

runido

by runido

I too was a lurker and broke the rules, for that I'm sorry. I'm not rationalizing below just explaining.

I ride, I race, I work hard on the bike. I don't put a wrench to my own bike. This is my like my past with the theads
, love the advice but don't often share my thoughts. Have started doing so now and can understand the rules and the previous posts.

I will become a more active partcipant. If my posts don't interest you please disregard.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

jackattackfr

by jackattackfr

still counting .
been reading the forum for a while too. but just did not register. now I have to post to sell my bike.

deepsky

by deepsky

A lot of the time I simply do not have anything to say that I feel is worth making a post about. And to be bluntly honest, I haven't posted nearly as much as I might because I feel like I will be ridiculed for posting some stuff by a certain moderator and then have my thread locked because it didn't meet some arbitrary criteria. I joined this site to learn about gear I would never have learned about otherwise and for that it has been invaluable. But I don't post nearly as much here as I do elsewhere because I dislike being ridiculed because I want to discuss things that doesn't involve parts that cost more than my yearly car insurance premium or things that don't involve on how to drop a few grams of weight. I've seen it scattered throughout this forum and as a result, I pick threads where I think I won't get crap. I managed to luck out and have enough posts should I have an item to sell that wouldn't be sneered at, but it's apparent that others haven't and are frustrated as being thought of as not a real person.

I don't have nearly as much disposable income as most of you do. I ride a 2005 trek pilot 2.1, and will likely never be able to afford even a fraction of the items here that people regularly talk about. Sometimes I have questions about lesser gear, and frankly I think it's bullshit that I have to worry about whether I will be shut down or ridiculed for it. So yeah, I don't have a lot of posts, and likely won't ever have a larger post count given the posting conditions here. Sucks, but there it is.

Frankie - B
Admin - In the industry

by Frankie - B

Well, you don't have to visit weight weenies. Visiting is completely up to you.
If you want to see 'meh' content of me and my bike you can follow my life in pictures here!

danventura

by danventura

Wow. This is the topic that won't quite die -- struck a nerve with some folks. And I totally agree with everyone's points of view; I'm happy to see there are others out there like me that just lurk to learn...

And, I think I'm up to 20 posts now!

deepsky

by deepsky

Frankie - B wrote:Well, you don't have to visit weight weenies. Visiting is completely up to you.

And this is EXACTLY what I mean when I say I worry about getting crap. Here we have a response, by a moderator no less, implying that I can simply gtfo if I don't like it. You do realize that you limit the membership of this board by acting this way? Maybe that's exactly what you want, because that's the vibe I am getting at this point. You aren't just excluding the assholes, spammers, and undesirables, you are making the atmosphere such that the majority of the membership doesn't post very often because of posts like this.

Arky

by Arky

There are plenty of rouleur douche-bags on this forum. Frankie is not one of them. I do not see what the problem is. Every Tom Dick and Harry is wanting to sell something in the For Sale forum. You should be an active participant to get that privilege. If a forum member is interested in an item, the seller should have a comprehensive post history. Otherwise, we will have the scammers overwhelming us quickly. It is not a right. There is always Ebay. If this keeps up, you guys are going to mess it up for everyone and not even give us a reach around.

Frankie - B
Admin - In the industry

by Frankie - B

Hi Deepsky,

Thank you for your reaction. I'm wondering why you call this reaction crap. Also I'm an admin no less.
And what I don't get is why a forum like this should embrace everybody that registers. It is not a public forum as it is privately owned. You can read and post as much as you want as long as your posts fit into the general direction of the forum which are Light Weight and Tech issues. If you think you do not belong here, the solution is pretty simple, please do not log on to the site. In stead of trying to bend it in such a way that it suits you.
I'm not attending a party that I don't really like to visit and while I'm there, complain about the atmosphere of the party.

The forums go under the name of Weight Weenies this has long since evolved into tech weenies. We are fine with that, but we also want the vision of the site and the posts that are placed on the boards to be on the light products or tuning the heck out of parts.

If we let it all go this forum will soon be as dead as others that have embraced that point of view.

Please understand where we are coming from.

Thanks,

Frankie

deepsky

by deepsky

Frankie - B wrote:. I'm wondering why you call this reaction crap.

Because saying deal or gtfo is not particularly polite nor does it address the issues being raised (which has gone beyond just the post limit to sell things on the board).

Also I'm an admin no less.

Quibbling over titles is not productive. Your title might be administrator, but you moderate the forum. Either is appropriate and germane to your role on this forum.

And what I don't get is why a forum like this should embrace everybody that registers. It is not a public forum as it is privately owned. You can read and post as much as you want as long as your posts fit into the general direction of the forum which are Light Weight and Tech issues. If you think you do not belong here, the solution is pretty simple, please do not log on to the site. In stead of trying to bend it in such a way that it suits you.

Shooting first and asking questions later simply ensures that this site will always be small, limited, and somewhat stagnant because most people lurk instead of post. If that is your goal, then state as such.
I've seen people post tech questions and then get a snide remark and a post lock because it wasn't "ww enough" (whatever that means). I suggested in another thread that we have separate forum for stuff that is cycling related (like winter cyling gear for a given area, or what size seat post clamp do i have, and other posts in similar vein), but is not necessarily about how to tune parts or other weight-related issues and immediately got shot down for it, like the very idea will totally destroy the site and armageddon will come.

The forums go under the name of Weight Weenies this has long since evolved into tech weenies. We are fine with that, but we also want the vision of the site and the posts that are placed on the boards to be on the light products or tuning the heck out of parts.

I fail to see how having a separate forum about non weight related cycling issues will destroy that. I am a member of many forums that have an overall directive they preserve, but allow for slightly ot discussion to take place in a subforum where it won't distract from the main directive of the forums as a whole. Now if this requires more work for the admin/moderator team, I'll oversee it myself. So don't think I am agitating for something I am not willing to do the work for myself.

If we let it all go this forum will soon be as dead as others that have embraced that point of view.

I am not talking about letting it all go and allowing discussions about politics, religion, what kind of dog should one get, and other completely non-cycling topics. I am talking about not making new members feel like if they ask a simple question, they will be ridiculed for it and told gtfo. I I would think that management would want to increase the membership, get the word out there, rather than isolating themselves in this manner.

Look, I know this isn't a democracy, but if I say nothing, nothing ever changes. It looks like I am not the only one made to feel like I am not good enough to post on these forums, and I feel I must speak up about it. Now, you guys may totally blow me off which means I sink back into lurker mode. But I think it's pretty telling that at any given time, there are at least twice as many guests as members browsing the forums, and of those members, a fair amount of them are infrequent posters. If that's how management wants things, then at least I have had my say, if wasted a lot of keystrokes talking to an unreceptive audience.

Frankie - B
Admin - In the industry

by Frankie - B

Deepsky,

Quibbling over titles is not productive indeed, but I'm always told that if you address somebody you should do it in the proper way. You are not calling Barack Obama senator although his field of expertise is politics as well.

Thank you for the comments you made I will discuss them with the team.

To give you some sort of idea on how to look at this forum. If all other forums are amateur class. Weight Weenies is Pro tour. IE, not everybody that wants to join can keep up with the bunch.

deepsky

by deepsky

Frankie - B wrote:Quibbling over titles is not productive indeed, but I'm always told that if you address somebody you should do it in the proper way. You are not calling Barack Obama senator although his field of expertise is politics as well.

Fair enough. I was more speaking to your role rather than your title, but I'll make sure to address you by your proper title in the future.

Thank you for the comments you made I will discuss them with the team.

Thank you, that is appreciated.

To give you some sort of idea on how to look at this forum. If all other forums are amateur class. Weight Weenies is Pro tour. IE, not everybody that wants to join can keep up with the bunch.

Tuning cycling parts is a fairly niche hobby/interest, though. It seems like you would want to make the forum open to those who might start cycling not caring about weight or the things that WW'ers typically about, and then get them hooked on the idea. If I had the money, bet your ass I'd be right there with ya trimming every little bit, but I can't :( Due to this site, I've learned about a lot of things on how to save weight, and have replaced a significant amount of parts based on the threads that discuss different brands. Otherwise I'd still be riding crap parts with a bad back because I would not have known any better. On no other cycling site do I see this kind of discussion, which is why I've stuck with staying here despite my issues with being made to feel unworthy to post here. I am not saying to give up the idea of being committed to saving weight on your bike every way you can, it's a great idea, even if it requires a fair amount of disposable income :) I guess I think of myself as a fat weenie doing her best to be less fat (both on my person and my bike) and folks like me who have more money are a great way to get more folks on the site talking about tuning parts and such. I'd just like to see more leeway (in the form of a sub forum) so folks like me who might not know as much can get some technical help on the way up to being to the point of tuning parts to save weight. :)

allezkmiec

by allezkmiec

I'd have to offer the counterpoint that this forum exists specifically because tuning parts/ultra-lightweight bikes IS a niche hobby. There are any number of all-purpose cycling forums (RBR, MTBR, Cyclingforums, Cyclingnews, etc.) that are geared towards general cycling topics. Weight Weenies is, and has always been, about a very small segment of cycling in general. Now, I'm happy to see things branching out slightly, as there was a time when asking a question about Ultegra was almost a faux pas. But that being said, I absolutely don't think the forums should me made more all-inclusive, as they're built around a very specific interest.

The (possibly unfortunate, but nonetheless realistic) side effect of this is, like you pointed out, the "Go somewhere else if you don't like it here" scenario. But in my view, that's not necessarily a bad thing. That's ultimately true of every forum out there, bike-related or otherwise. Think Slowtwitch is too full of geeky triathletes sticking strips of Powerbar to their Cervelos? Stop going there. Think the users of the Serotta forum need to pull the silver spoon out and ride a bike worth less than a Lexus? Surf somewhere else.

Think Weight Weenies spends too much time on elitist, lightweight parts most folks can't afford? I just mentioned a lot of other forum sites. Have a look at 'em, and thanks for stopping by.

coloclimber

by coloclimber

+
Its a niche site. Its your choice to log on, read or contribute. Having some minimums to benefit from the forum by posting in the classified is proper. Shooting off at the Admin is a good way to bet your @$$ banned...
-Deacon Doctor Colorado Slim

crumjack

by crumjack

Not that I have plans to sell anything but looks like I need to push my post count up!

I do primarily lurk on the forums but do so as a registered user. While I may not contribute as far as posts go too often, I'd hope maintaining an "active" registration and the page views contribute to the board in some minute capacity when it comes to selling ad space.

For those that are looking for alternative, the RoadBikeReview classifieds are very effective and cheap.
The weather is here
Wish you were beautiful

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com