Price performance and value Who makes the best?!?!?!?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

The best Frameset - considering price, performance, and value

Poll ended at Sat Feb 14, 2004 12:40 pm

Cannondale Team replica
15%
Giant Tcr composite
55%
ORbea Scandium
6%
Scott C1R team, and C1 frame
12%
Storck 0.9
No votes
Strongframes Hyalite
3%
Pinarello dogma
No votes
look KG486
No votes
Time vx frame
No votes
Seven cycles (any frame)
9%

Total votes: 33

spytech

by spytech

Who would you guys say makes the best all around bike. Take everything into consideration, money (cost of the bike), performance and value (remember value is what you get for your money).

i will like to start a poll on this one, give me contenders so i can start up. the vote will decide which bike weight weenies consider the best bike or frameset.[/b]
Last edited by spytech on Thu Jan 15, 2004 12:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

KB

by KB

It's highly subjective but as far as frames go I really think the Carbon TCR really takes some beating. When you look at the prices of most carbon frames they are more expensive just as a frame and yet the TCR incudes the forks as well. I appreciate it's not custom built, but i think most people can find a size with compact geometry. The other frame that looks good is the Storck carbon with the Stiletto forks. I think that will be the next one for me.

Joel

by Joel

The ORbea Scandium 800€ 1100g
For complete bikes the Cannondales are not cheap, but they have great parts on the stock bike, so you don't need to upgrade something

Eric W.

by Eric W.

Check Strongframes Hyalite. 1000 bucks for a steelframe thats probably the best out there. See their site for customers comments who have ridden all kind of materials before and are now so much in for a steel frame! For USD 1900 you will get the Hyalite Ti - amongst Ti frames affordable - and technically on top.

drew

by drew

Joel wrote:The ORbea Scandium 800€ 1100g
For complete bikes the Cannondales are not cheap, but they have great parts on the stock bike, so you don't need to upgrade something

In Europe maybe, but in North America Cannondales are some of the best priced bikes out there, R2000 with CAAD 7 Ultegra/Dura ace mix Ksyrium SL's 16lbs for $3200 Canadian, thats damn good value for money.
Airborne sells some realy good ti frames for good prices too.

Joel

by Joel

In Europe it's about 6000€ for the Saeco Team Replica. That's expensive, but you get an awesome bike. I don't think they're overpriced, they are just not really cheap, but you don't have to upgrade something. I think they are the best equiped stock bikes

Superlite

by Superlite

Are you serious! In the U.S it's 5000, or 3850 euros. Thats a ripp off!

drew

by drew

Superlite wrote:Are you serious! In the U.S it's 5000, or 3850 euros. Thats a ripp off!

Yeah in U.K my R2000 goes for 2400 pounds or $5280CDN, I paid less than $3000 CDN! BIIIG difference :)

Tim the Pineapple

by Tim the Pineapple

For value and performance.

Pick up a C'dale Caad 5 frame for $ 300-600 USD
Slap on Dura Ace or Chorus and Mavic Kysirum, Ritchey stem, bar and seat post. Now you got solid racing and training bike.

If youre really on budget and not snobby put on 105 or ultegra, youre win just many races on 105, just look at crit races.

Tim the Pineapple

by Tim the Pineapple

Joel wrote:In Europe it's about 6000€ for the Saeco Team Replica. That's expensive, but you get an awesome bike. I don't think they're overpriced, they are just not really cheap, but you don't have to upgrade something. I think they are the best equiped stock bikes

Is that including eu tax ?

chart

by chart

spytech wrote:Who would you guys say makes the best all around bike. Take everything into consideration, money (cost of the bike), performance and value (remember value is what you get for your money).

i will like to start a poll on this one, give me contenders so i can start up. the vote will decide which bike weight weenies consider the best bike or frameset.[/b]

I know it doesn't have the snob appeal of high end frames but Supergo.com has Aluminum road frames for $250 , 3 lbs. Not Scandium but still you're not going to be crying if you crash and wreck the frame.

Oswald

by Oswald

Tim the Pineapple wrote:
Joel wrote:In Europe it's about 6000€ for the Saeco Team Replica. That's expensive, but you get an awesome bike. I don't think they're overpriced, they are just not really cheap, but you don't have to upgrade something. I think they are the best equiped stock bikes

Is that including eu tax ?

Cannondale is WAY overpriced in Europe... If you really want a USA brand, I recommend Trek or Specialized...

USA parts can be up to 70% more expensive in Europe, whereas European parts are probably only 15% cheaper in Europe...

We have insanely high taxes (especially in Belgium), relatively small shops (compared to US), ...

spytech

by spytech

anyone in favor of the Giant TCR with ultegra? you can get that under $2k

Joel

by Joel

For the Saeco Team Replica (Record, USE Alien, Cinelli Ram,...)
the price that Cannondale gives is about 6000 euro including all taxes,etc
But if you search you maybe find a bike shop where it's cheaper

spytech

by spytech

Did i forget any other frame that should be included in the vote??? :?:

Please speak now, or forever hold your... :lol:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com