KCNC Alloy bolts in XTR Crankset

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

yumseyo

by yumseyo

Hi All !, has anyone ever installed the KCNC lightweight alloy chainring bolts on a XTR set up? I currently have a set of 5, and it looks like if I shorten the nutsert, I could get them to fit. I would have to order a second set though, but I wanted to see if anyone had any durability problems. :?:

miceden

by miceden

If the bolts are too long I guess you're using an XTR 960 crankset...? KCNC do make shorter chainring bolts for single rings... these do fit the XTR960. Cant comment on the durability though...

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

jmartpr
Shop Owner

by jmartpr

miceden wrote:If the bolts are too long I guess you're using an XTR 960 crankset...? KCNC do make shorter chainring bolts for single rings... these do fit the XTR960. Cant comment on the durability though...

KCNC has two types of bolts...SPB004 Compatible with XTR FC-M970 Crank (8.5mm Bolt&6.5mm Nut) and the SPB003 Compatible with XTR FC-M960 Crank (6.5mm Bolt&4mm Nut) and KCNC TK1....so far we haven't had any type of issue with these.

yumseyo

by yumseyo

Well, I can personally recommend NOT to buy the wrong size for you crankset. I filed and ground down my longer KCNC alloy bolts and almost ruined them. I was able to shorten them with a grinding wheel then filing them smooth. But I had a hard time holding them in a pair of vice grips with rubber tips. I ended up scarring some of the sides. If they weren't so darn expensive I would have replaced them with the proper size.

sirshan

by sirshan

Where can I buy these bolts by KCNC? I need to add some missing bolts to my outter chainring (XTR M970).

Thanks.

1415chris

by 1415chris

Any clue where you are from?

Gran Sport

by Gran Sport

i purchased a set on ebay back in august from yan_kelly, they seem to be holding up well & kept their torque

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 3D1&_rdc=1

set was in red for the mrs's XTR M970 + triple Rotor Q-Rings, no probs installing them but was extra cautious winding up the threads

Amaro

by Amaro

I haven´t had any issue with them since february...http://img194.imageshack.us/i/dscn5586c.jpg

http://img194.imageshack.us/img194/4444/dscn5586c.jpg

Edited. The pics were just a wee bit larger than permitted on the forum. :wink: Merry x-mas to all, by the way! Powerful Pete.
Rider on the storm...

Fretje13

by Fretje13

Had the bolts in my XTR crank.
Lost 2 bolts in 4 months.. :?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

emike

by emike

I want to put some colour on my XTR960 JJ mod. cranks. What bolts are strongest KCNC or TISO?