Tubular tyres and stans solution

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

kingkongsfinger

by kingkongsfinger

Been thinking. I have a set of stans tubeless wheels on my MTB and they are perfect, light, never had a puncture as they have the stans solution inside with standard tyres.

Anyone put in there road tubeless tyres some stans solution to stop punctures, can it be done, i cannot think of a reason for not doing it. You could then train on tubeless without having to carry a spare tyre ?

AND I have a pair of mavic kysriums on another road bike, can I put a pair of stans valves on the rims, some yellow rim tape and run tubless with pro race 3 and some stans solution ?

Cheers.
"I could have done this job myself in five minutes, but as things turned out I had to spend two days trying to find out why it had taken someone else three weeks to do it wrong."

mattr

by mattr

the stans mtb stuff probably won't withstand the pressure, you will end up with latex all over your bike AND a flat tyre.

I believe there are some road versions of tubeless sealant with a different make up to allow faster setting and/or higher pressures.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

maddog 2

by maddog 2

I run road tubeless on Open Pro rims and it works a treat.

You need tubeless tyres though, such as Hutchinson Fusion2s. Pro Race 3 aren't suitable (and probably quite dangerous).

I just use the standard Stans sealant (about 30g ish), the Stans road valve, and the Stans tape. I've since found a much cheaper alternative to the Stans tape though.

There's an account of how I did it here

http://www.bikeradar.com/forum/viewtopi ... d+tubeless

kingkongsfinger

by kingkongsfinger

maddog 2,

good thread about road tyres.

May stick to tubes and pro race 3's on the Mavic Kysriums.

However will add some of the solution to my tubular tyres as this will defo help as I wont need to carry a spare tubular only a co2 pump.

I heard if you get a puncture in a tubular tyre with stans solution it will squirt the solution out due to the high pressure you run and then when it gets to a lower pressure it seals, then all you have to do is pump em back up to the correct pressure, sorted. :beerchug: :beerchug: :beerchug: :beerchug:
"I could have done this job myself in five minutes, but as things turned out I had to spend two days trying to find out why it had taken someone else three weeks to do it wrong."

foz

by foz

kingkongsfinger wrote:You could then train on tubeless without having to carry a spare tyre ?

you don't need to carry a spare tyre anyway...

maddog 2

by maddog 2

ah, ok

I thought you were on about tubeless, not tubular.

I've not punctured the tubeless road tyres yet - not that I'm aware of anyway - so I can't comment on if the sealant works okay. It usually does a decent job on the mtb tyres, so long as the hole/split is fairly small.

kingkongsfinger

by kingkongsfinger

foz wrote:
kingkongsfinger wrote:You could then train on tubeless without having to carry a spare tyre ?

you don't need to carry a spare tyre anyway...

What do you do then, walk home ?

mattr

by mattr

patch the tyre and reinflate and seat

or stick an inner tube in

kingkongsfinger

by kingkongsfinger

mattr wrote:patch the tyre and reinflate and seat

or stick an inner tube in

Sorry I have got my knickers in a twist, I meant to say in the first post...

"You could then train on tubulars without having to carry a spare tubular tyre"

NOT!!!!!!!!! You could then train on tubeless without having to carry a spare tyre ?
:oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:

eigner

by eigner

"Tubular tires and stans solution" in "road" forum. I assume you want to put stans in a tubular tire to prevent flats?

I have stans in both my Vittoria Corsa Evo tubular tires, and I have not flattened yet. Or maybe I have and haven't noticed it?
I don't know. So maybe it works, maybe it doesn't. At the moment I can not tell. It would require me to have a flat that stans did not instant fix, and then I would have proved that it does not work. whereas I can not prove that it does work (without running over nails on purpose).
Current: Colnago CX Zero Di2 Disc, Cannondale F29 carbon3
Previous: Scott Plasma 3 premium, Parlee Z3SL, Parlee Z4, Argon18 E112, TREK TTX7.0, S-Works Transition, Pinarello F4:13

ergott

by ergott

I will work on most punctures. I've used it in several tubulars and a set of tubeless.

One problem.

I use valve extenders (the type that you transfer the core to the end of, not like Zipp's). The sealant gunks things up and air doesn't go in or out very easily. I had to replace the valve extender and core and things are better.

-Eric

kingkongsfinger

by kingkongsfinger

ergott wrote:I will work on most punctures. I've used it in several tubulars and a set of tubeless.

One problem.

I use valve extenders (the type that you transfer the core to the end of, not like Zipp's). The sealant gunks things up and air doesn't go in or out very easily. I had to replace the valve extender and core and things are better.

-Eric

OK Great will try some in my tubular tyres as it should help from getting punctures, any recomended quantity for 23 mm tubulars !!

durkonion

by durkonion

I think you're getting your definition of tubular tires confused. Tubular tires are not the kind of tires that require tubes; they are the ones that you glue onto the rim.

Geoff

by Geoff

In 20+ years on tubulars, I have only had two (2) sets of double flats. In the past several seasons (maybe 3) I have not carried a spare, but a can of Pitstop (plus a cell phone). I have never had to use it, so I don't know how well it will work. The principle is the same as using Stans, without the issue of having to 'ruin' a perfectly good tubular by putting some goop into it. That might be an option for you, too.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

CharlesM

by CharlesM

There's no confusion...

The question is can you use stans fluid as a puncture protector in tubular tires and the answer is yes, but...

After a while, it will solidify and it adds rotating weight without giving you tire protection after a while...

The better solution is to use Vittoria pitstop canisters. You don't use it till you need it and it doesnt add wheel weight till you run it.

If I wanted to add a fluid otherwise it would be Effetto mariposa's caffe latex. But it will solidify after a time as well.