2010 Neo Ultimate - 5.2Kg -- further updates

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

wisgliebau

by wisgliebau

gandini wrote:Also, the website doesn't have an order section--how do people in the US buy stuff from them?

http://www.b-t-p.de/B-T-P_Team/dealer/p ... r_btp.html

On the right side, small column with phone numbers and an info@b-t-p.de email address under the heading "order." Probably whatcha' need if you want to order direct. I actually can't find any dealer websites with the hoods in particular.

gandini wrote:How is your bike doing, Gregory? It's so cold here these days that I just look at my bike and imagine riding it...

I'm in the same boat, although I'm typically idiotic enough to go out into the cold anyway... My mononucleosis is cleared up but my body is still not reacting good to much physical activity so I haven't been riding or working out (after trying to for a week or so with some repercussions) and probably won't until it warms up, for the benefit of the doubt! Thanks for inquiring.

-Gregory

Raxel

by Raxel

There are a few forum members running bike shop... and some of them carries BTP parts. Post an article in wanted section and they may contact you.

And yes, $60ish for a pair of hoods is quite expensive, but if you want to buy a color hood you'd pay ~$30 anyway so extra expense is only $30. And you'll be the only guy on the block with carbon fiber hood!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

gandini

by gandini

Just edited post #1 for the new weight, thanks to these:

FibreLyte rings dropped 60g, and they are beautifully made. Thanks Stephen! (He matched the weave to my Claviculas--howzat?)

and Raxel, the BTP hoods are on order...I heard you dropped 40g swapping them out?
Last edited by gandini on Wed Dec 16, 2009 11:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Raxel

by Raxel

BTP hoods AND clamps drops 37.2gr from my shifter but the figure may vary a bit.

And swapping all cables with powercordz may save up to 40gr without sacrificing any function. I found that the lightest combo of tune housing and powercordz don't mix well (lot of drag) so I 'd use either nokon+powercordz or tune+steel cable for ridable build.

wisgliebau

by wisgliebau

Oops, forgot to mention the clamps, Gandini! :oops: Still, you'll get your money's worth gram for gram (compared to some of the larger, more expensive items that drop much less weight per buck!)

gandini

by gandini

Here's what a high-zoot crank looks like:

Total weight: cranks, BB, rings(41/51 combination), TA bolts = 506g -- Which I find to be totally amazing!

Thanks to Steve at Fibre-Lyte for making the weave to match the cranks!

michel2

by michel2

i had a lot of nice bike during the years but i never ever had a bike that i wanted to have sex with !
i just send patrick an email, i want one !!
beautiful build mate , very well done !!

giantchris

by giantchris

That crank/ring combo looks the best I've ever seen. Great job.

gandini

by gandini

I've ridden the CF rings a few times now, (thanks to good weather the last weekend) and I'm really impressed with the shifting--I got the matching rings with the lifters on the big ring, and they shift as well as any Al ring I've had.
I am using dry lube assuming that a nice paste of dirt and oil is not the best way to avoid grinding the teeth to nothing. Apart from wear, I can imagine the only way to destroy them would be some heavy handed shifting to break a tooth.
As for the cranks, they just disappear--maybe that's the sign of a well designed component--it just does it's job and nothing else.

Frankie - B
Admin - In the industry

by Frankie - B

That is looking seriously good Mister Gandini!
'Tape was made to wrap your GF's gifts, NOT hold a freakin tire on.'
If you want to see 'meh' content of me and my bike you can follow my life in pictures here!

gandini

by gandini

Thanks!
I tried a pair of Schmolke TLOs--a holy grail product for sure--and ended up not using them. I guess that's blasphemy, but Jason knew exactly what I was talking about when I called him to admit that I wasn't going to keep them. Would have saved 150g, but in the end the shape of the bar was just too much of a compromise. I think I can tune some grams off my Plasmas, and if I could get them to 350 I would be happy (although the Syntace/TLOs weighed 250!)
Still, this reminded me that I'm never going to have the lightest bike (for whatever that brings to one)--and prolly won't ever get below 5Kgs so long as I ride real tires. Consequently I guess I fall in the "WW with compromises" category. What's most impressive to me is that the bike rides so well, and I don't even feel as if any part has been lightened beyond the physical demands placed on it. All the bikes on WW that are 5Kg or less fall into that category. I'm constantly amazed at some of the builds here (for example, the Gold Knight Parlee at 4.4Kg is just beautiful, period). I also love djconnel's Fuji--talk about a sleeper! Can't imagine anyone ever guessing that bike weighs under 5Kg when he turns up to the group ride (especially in a world where glossy Pinarellos get all the attention.)
Anyway, sorry for the lengthy rant...back to normal transmission.

KB

by KB

You was never going to have the lightest build with a frame that size. However, you have been true to the bike you ride and is all the better for that. It's not a show bike. So, it's not a compromise either.

eth09

by eth09

unreal looking bike mate. If that is a 7900 chain though by the looks of your photos it is on the wrong way ?

gandini

by gandini

Well spotted eth09! Thanks. I must have reversed it when I removed it around the time I put on the new chainrings. Hope I haven't messed anything up--unlikely. But perhaps I'll get even better shifting (seems hard to believe as I've had great shifting from the setup for all time.

cheers!

range
Shop Owner

by range

Wow, I'm almost at a loss for words. Incredible build.

Personal highlights:

-THM Clavicula crank + crank rings, amazing combo and really lightweight.
-Integrated seat + seatpost. I haven't seen this before and it does cut down a lot of weight. I'm surprised that no one is actually making these.

Really neat and it's given me some ideas for my own training bike build.
Range || range.wordpress.com
Asterisk*Cycles
'10 Velocite Millennium Elite SRAM Red
'11 Velocite Geos w SRAM Red || '08 Giant Anthem X0 w SRAM X0 || '93 Pinarello w Shimano 105

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com