DA compatibility

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Ivan

by Ivan

Searching the web i saw the following: 12 - 21 ratio of the new DA 10 sp cassette does not work with the WH-R540 wheels, see:

http://dura-ace.shimano.com/publish/con ... faq_s.html

Why is that ?? I ma not buying this combination, just curious.

Cheers
I

Superlite

by Superlite

It won't work because the largest cog, the 21 tooth has too small of a diameter to clear the hubs end at the free hub. Any thing larger will clear the tolerence.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Ye Olde Balde One

by Ye Olde Balde One

It's because the wheel design department didn't talk to the cassette design department.

Otherwise known as a big screw up! :twisted:
Ride lightly!

Ivan

by Ivan

What about a 12-21 9 speed casette then ?? If i undertsand your explanation correctly that doesn't work either ! Right ?

Ivan

by Ivan

known as a big screw up!

AKA shimano ... lol

:-)

by :-)

shimano website wrote:12. Can I use the new 10-speed cassette on my current Shimano wheels?
The new 10-speed cassettes will be compatible with WH-7701, WH-7701-Carbon, and WH-R540* when used with a thin washer supplied with the aftermarket cassettes. In addition, you can only use the 12-25 &12-27 CS-7800 cassettes with the WH-7700 and WH-7700-Carbon wheels.

*Note: The 11-21 CS-7800 cassette combination will not be compatible with the WH-R540. All other ratios will work just fine.

are you refering to this? it says the 11-21? says everything else is ok.... surely that makes the 12-21 ok?

Joel

by Joel

This is just something typically ShimaNO. :roll:

Ivan

by Ivan

are you refering to this?

No i was refering to the explanation of Superlite:

It won't work because the largest cog, the 21 tooth has too small of a diameter to clear the hubs end at the free hub. Any thing larger will clear the tolerence

the cassette wont work because 21 tooth is too small. What about a 12-21 9 speed (instead of a 10 speed) ?
Are there other wheels/hubs that have this problem too ?

Oswald

by Oswald

Why would you want to mount a DA cassette on a 105 wheelset?

Ivan

by Ivan

no, as i said:
just curious.

Ivan wrote:
are you refering to this?

No i was refering to the explanation of Superlite:

It won't work because the largest cog, the 21 tooth has too small of a diameter to clear the hubs end at the free hub. Any thing larger will clear the tolerence

the cassette wont work because 21 tooth is too small. What about a 12-21 9 speed (instead of a 10 speed) ?
Are there other wheels/hubs that have this problem too ?

ivan, you quite clearly say that whilst searching the web you found that 12-21 doesnt work... & include the link? the link says 11-21 & says everything else is fine????

i cant see how in your origional post you were refering to superlite when he hadent posted it yet?

Ivan

by Ivan

Sure in my original post i was refering to the explanation from the shimano website (the one you quoted) but in my second post i was refering to the explanation of superlite. He says a 21 tooth is too small of a diameter so if i get it right a 12-21 9 speed is also too small of a diameter and now i am wondering are there other wheels/hubs that have this "problem" or is it just shimano ?
Sorry about the misunderstanding !

my dad has a set ov those wheels with a 21 tooth 9 speed casette on...

Ye Olde Balde One

by Ye Olde Balde One

Ivan wrote:Sure in my original post i was refering to the explanation from the shimano website (the one you quoted) but in my second post i was refering to the explanation of superlite. He says a 21 tooth is too small of a diameter so if i get it right a 12-21 9 speed is also too small of a diameter and now i am wondering are there other wheels/hubs that have this "problem" or is it just shimano ?
Sorry about the misunderstanding !

I think this can always be a problem depending on the hub flange. Velomax can have this problem, same with some Spinergy wheels. I tried fitting a Tiso 11-21t cassette to a Zipp wheel once and found it touched the hub unless I put in an extra spacer, problem was the rivets for the bottom sprocket were hitting the hub.
Ride lightly!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Ivan

by Ivan

my dad has a set ov those wheels with a 21 tooth 9 speed casette on...

so the problem is limited to a 10 sp cassette
I think im starting to understand the problem here ...
Im glad you all cleared that out. :)