The Garmin Edge 500 Thread

A light bike doesn't replace good fitness.

Moderator: Moderator Team

mieke@quarq
in the industry

by mieke@quarq

ghisallo2003 wrote:Mieke,

Thank you for the images and info. Have you similar experience with the Specialized headunit? My very personal preference is for as small a unit as possible and I think that many are going to be interested in the way that ANT allows the use of different heads and bodies, so to speak.

As a separate point, it would be great if Polar would have ANT+ power as a line on some of their computers and watches.

We haven't actually gotten to test the Specialized Speedzone yet so I can't comment on it. Specialized has a number of our CinQos to test (and I suppose Powertap wheels as well) so hopefully they'll make it as easy as the Garmin 500 to operate. It will be the smallest ANT+ computer that we're aware of when it's released.

I doubt you'll see Polar with ANT+ anytime soon though it would be nice. Pure speculation, but it may have something to do with Garmin owning Dynastream, the company that makes the ANT+ modules and protocols.

semaj

by semaj

Can someone here comment on the interval functions of the Edge 500? I'm wondering if it is as easy to use as my current Powertap computer.

How do you start a new interval? How to stop it?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

morxy

by morxy

mechanism wrote:why did they make it in passive white and blue, looks awful. Black my friends would have been so much better.

Exactly. You spend thousands on a black/red frame, carefully coordinate all the colours so the tyres, rims, seatpost, pedals, bars and bar tape all match. It looks perfect. Then what? You put a bright blue and white computer on the middle of your stem? Ouch. Can't do it :(

Why couldn't they just make a black one?! Any way to customize the colours? Disassemble it and paint the parts black and red? :)

ras11

by ras11

I've not researched my own question, but maybe someone knows off the top of their head if the 500 and 750 use the same stem mount?
:-) Toys-R-Us

_SJ_

by _SJ_

morxy wrote: Why couldn't they just make a black one?!

They did a while ago, it's called Edge 705 :D

Bikey

by Bikey

They use a diff mount, according to the description of the 500. It uses a 1/4 twist mount vs the 705s slide-on mount.

gazrichards

by gazrichards

http://www.pocket-lint.com/news-gallery ... computer/1

the new mount
I think its ridicuolus to not use the same one as the 705. I was 100% certain I would get this for racing and use 705 for training. not so sure I will now as I will have to keep an ugly unused mount on the bike all the time.
Im sure many other ant+ powermeter users thought the same.
looks like its quarq qollector and bonty/specialized for racing then!

Bikey

by Bikey

Thanks for posting those pics, nice to see that the 500 has 8 data fields. The mount looks better than the 705 mount (not hard to improve on).
Why not use the 500 for training and racing?
Also, the 500 looks like it has a rubber band mount (a great idea, IMO), so it should take about 10sec to install/remove the mount.

SFcyclist

by SFcyclist

Bikey wrote:Also, the 500 looks like it has a rubber band mount (a great idea, IMO), so it should take about 10sec to install/remove the mount.

Good eye! Glad I won't have to use the zipties.

Edit: Will any Ant+ HR strap work with the Edge 500? I have a really nice Polar HR soft strap and I would prefer to save the 60$ on a new one.

Bikey

by Bikey

I'm sure any ANT+ HR strap would work. I used a Saris strap with my 705 when then 705 first came out.
I didn't think Polar made any ANT compatible stuff.

SFcyclist

by SFcyclist

Bikey wrote:I'm sure any ANT+ HR strap would work. I used a Saris strap with my 705 when then 705 first came out.

:oops: Oops. I think I got the Polar WIND technology and ANT+ confused. Looks like I will have to get a new strap. Thanks for correcting me.

ParisCarbon

by ParisCarbon

merkyworks

by merkyworks

Bikey wrote:I'm sure any ANT+ HR strap would work. I used a Saris strap with my 705 when then 705 first came out.

you said it, any ANT+ HR strap will work with any ANT+ head unit

Bikey

by Bikey

Thanks for posting the manual. It adds Temp as a data field, and also allows elevation correction for 10 waypoints, as opposed to just 1 in the 705 v3.10. Everything else looks pretty familiar to using the 705. Hopefully it works as the 705 has been lately (no data drops).

markc

by markc

SW wrote: At first I didn't think it would show the torque value when performing a zero offset, but apparently it does.

Where did you see that, about the torque value, in the manual? All I noted was a very brief passage about paring to a meter. Nothing about zeroing, reading torque, etc. I have a 500 on order along with a Quarq and figured to read the manual ahead of time for a change. Yeah, crazy...

Thanks,

Mark

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com