New Paint and Rebuilds X 2 (New pics added 01/15/10)

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

BmanX

by BmanX

I thought that I would post about my new and sort of new builds and paint for my tt/tri and road builds. I have found a few pictures of the bikes in stock form so these are what they look like stock.

SLC (1190g frame only) - This will be all black now. The main triangle will have as much exposed carbon on the three main tubes. The joint areas as well as the rear triangle will all be painted black. The only lettering on the bike will be the Cervelo on the down tube. I would like to try to run my cables in a more aero fashion if possible on this build which migh be the only changes made to it current form.

P2K (1440g frame only) - This will be all black as well. No surprise I am sure. I have decided to not put any lettering on the down tube but I can do this later if I think it needs something. The forks that I have do not have any lettering on them. I have bought some new Simkin's aero brakes (300g for the pair) and have some very nice items for this build. There are a few items that I might change out. I was thinking about picking up a lighter aero fork but AERO must trump weight on this build and the Cervelo fork would be more aero than an Easton EC90 Aero but the Easton would be 200g lighter. I need a 1" steerer. Was also thinking about new aerobars but the HED clip-lites with Vision levers and base bar are pretty light already at 635g.

Both bikes will have the crank arms sanded down (FSA Carbon) to have a nice clean look.

There will be some lettering on individual parts but I think that I might try to sand down the Sram RED rear derailleur carbon parts and maybe remove the red on the end of the shifters as well.

So these are my projects for this winter.

Last edited by BmanX on Sat Jan 16, 2010 1:13 am, edited 2 times in total.
BIG DADDY B FLOW
AERO & LIGHT is RIGHT for 2 decades

BmanX

by BmanX

Here are the wheels that I have picked up for the P2K and will use on the SLC as well. Picked these up on a group buy and will most likely get a Wheelbuilder Wheelcover to convert into a disc for the couple of triathlons that I do a year and any TT's.

I just have to decide on what tires I am going to be using with these rims. I am thinking of going with the Bontrager Aero TT tires. 21mm in the front and maybe a 23mm in the rear. Latex tubes of course.

BIG DADDY B FLOW

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

BmanX

by BmanX

These are the brakes going on the P2K.

BIG DADDY B FLOW

BmanX

by BmanX

Sanded down the crank arms today and sprayed them with two coats of clear. They turned out amazing and I might sand them down with 1500 grit to have them really smooth and then apply one more coat of clear. After that I will use some cut wax to make as smooth as possible. I put them in the oven for ~40 minutes to harden the clear coat and will do the same after the next coat.

These are going to pop with the full carbon aero rings from Fibre-lyte.

Edit: First attempt at this.

BIG DADDY B FLOW

BmanX

by BmanX

Just picked up the frames. WOW!

The P2K looks great.

The SLC is beyond words. I am not sure a picture will do this frame justice.

Inside the building it looks like an all black SLC with something just a bit different in the middle of the top tube, down tube and seat tube. When you get it out in natural light the UD pops. Very cool. The painter also has the paint fading into the UD carbon instead of hard lines. VERY VERY COOL LOOKING IN PERSON.

Will post pictures when I get home if the family does not mind.
BIG DADDY B FLOW

KB

by KB

Hurry up and post. Stop teasing you bad boy.

BmanX

by BmanX

Hey I am trying to not work here. Stop bugging me.

Please give me 8 hours and there will be pictures.
BIG DADDY B FLOW

bigskyTi
in the industry

by bigskyTi

OK. Where are the pics. You have gone over your alotted time to get them up.

BmanX

by BmanX

Funny thing is that I posted everywhere except here. :oops:

Alright this is just not a good night. Very good camera from work, dead battery. Dark outside once I got home and crappy lighting in the house means that the pictures suck but here they are. It is so hard to capture the subtle differences in the paint. Outside in the light it is great. So after looking at the crappy pictures, I have already built up the SLC and just have to run the cables but I am going to try to run them a bit different this time for a more aero set up.

The SLC built up right now with cables and housings for the previous build is 6120g or 13.51 lbs. Need to loose 130g somewhere? 5990g calling me and haunting me.

Both frames weighed in at the same weight as they left so I am pretty happy with that.

SLC
P2K
BIG DADDY B FLOW

bigskyTi
in the industry

by bigskyTi

That SLC is truely Amazing. I can imagine how it looks in the bright sunlight with the UD finish. I love the black and white, but I may have gone with a matte finish for a 'ghost' look instead of the white, but I'm sure you'll have other white accents to make it look all put together.

What was the weight on the frame? Did you lose any weight in the paint booth?

finner

by finner

The slc is a massive improvement on standard, very simple.

BmanX

by BmanX

Frame weights stayed the same +/- 3g so I am pretty happy with that since they both look much better than stock.

The SLC was going to cost me double what I paid to have it totally stripped and for me to do a matte black CERVELO sticker so I decided to scratch that idea. The painter and I decided to save a bit of money and just leave the stock sticker on the down tube.

Now I might do a matte black sticker on the P2K to have something different or maybe white as well. All my bikes at this point are black with white decals on the down tube.
BIG DADDY B FLOW

KB

by KB

Very well done mate. Both frames look cool. Definitely my type of finish. 8)

BmanX

by BmanX

Pictures are getting better but the camera still sucks. Build is still in progress as I try to sort out a better more aero way to run the cables. You can see the difference a bit better in these pictures but I still need a better day to get some nicer pictures.
BIG DADDY B FLOW

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Cheers!

by Cheers!

Very nice!

You went through all the trouble of having someone sand and re-clear your frame. But you didn't sand and reclear your water bottle cages you got from Mountain Equipment co-op? BOOOO!!!!!!! BOOOO!!!!!!!

btw very nice bikes.