American Classic 350 wheelset

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

jer

by jer

Has anyone had any experience with this wheelset? http://amclassic.com/350_Wheels.html

They beat Ksyriums and Bontrager x-lites by about 200 grams and they are $300 US less. The ksyriums (and to a lesser extent the x-lites) are pretty tough though, and that is a priority. I am 160 lbs. (72kg) and pretty agressive. My 130 lb. (59kg) wife may train on them too.

-jer

nino

by nino

I have a wheelset using CR 350 rims.they are built around FRM SL hubs (71/206g) using 28/28 DT Revolution spokes and Al-Nipps. weight for the set is 1302g and they feel great.acceleration is incredible.as stiff as my Ksyrium SL (!) but 330g lighter...built by a professional wheelbuilder.he says they are on the limit and he had serious problems getting them tesnioned but finally succeeded.great wheels!for sure not the most aerodynamic but great for climbing.
the rims alone weighed 360 and 370g.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

jer

by jer

Thanks nino. I decided to get a set too and so far i am happy. For any one that is interested I bought the whole wheelset with their standard build. (28 front, 32 rear, DT Revos on front and on the non-drive side rear, and DT comp 14/15 on the drive side rear, all alloy nips.) The wheels came to me totally straight and true and properly dished although spoke tention was a little low (about 85 kgf on both the front and drive side rear) but that may be due to the light weight of the rim. Weight was dead on (front 576g advertized, 570g actual; rear 786g advertized, 780g actual w/o skewers.)

I'll post again when i have some miles on them.

-jer

limba

by limba

so how are those wheels holding up?

jer

by jer

Overall i have been pleased. They are definitely not as durable as the ksyriums or bontrager race x-lites, but they are much lighter and also cheaper. They are durable enough for my 60 kg wife to train on and for me to use for racing, but i wouldn't use them for everyday use. (i am 73 kg) Also of note: the wheels i have are the CR350s which are no longer available (i think.) It has been replaced by the sprinter 350 which is a little taller in profile and a little stiffer, according to American Classic.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Mme.Chauchat

by Mme.Chauchat

Good choice taking the dt competition on the drive side rear. Thats what they recomanded me, in case I am heavier than 70 kg, when I bought the cr 350 wheeelset few month ago.