Light MTB Shoes

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

sl

by sl

Well, I used furys this year with time top end pedals. Although shoes have carbon sole, the pedals have "dig in" deep. I compared them with sidis(I used them with 4ti pedals) and must say that sidis plastic sole is in better condition. Steel/ti plates would probably prevent that. Sidi shoes have best heel support system(for my feet).

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

nycmtber

by nycmtber

Having used pedals for many years that tend to dig in to the soles of any shoe, regardless of material, I think I can safely say that the sole has nothing to do with the issue. If anything, the plastic soles tend to wear quicker than the carbon ones, in my experience.

My opinion is it has to do with the stack height of the rubber on either side of the cleat which decides where the wings of the pedals will rest. Also, the flexibility of the tread factors in.

Dan Gerous

by Dan Gerous

The Mavic come with metal sheilds in two different thickness to prevent that. Sidis, Specialized, I have had pedals digging into any brand of shoes with plastic or carbon soles but in my experience, plastic Specialized had the pedal grooves the fastest and the deepest...

ResurrectionRacing

by ResurrectionRacing

Keep them coming...

SHortly list at moment

Is Mavic Fury 350g for 8.5
Lake MX401 weight is 340g no size given..

ResurrectionRacing

by ResurrectionRacing

Keep them coming...

SHortly list at moment

Is Mavic Fury 350g for 8.5
Lake MX330 weight not found yet

sl

by sl

Yes I know that, but what I tried to say is that sole is so wear out that it wont hold up second year. I also had does metal plates and I stongly recommend to use them. This metal plate were you fasten cleats is 50% gone- you can not fasten cleats to "second row" holes because pedals have destroyed them :D However I am very satisfied with furys and recommend them. Go for yellow for sure. It is not hard to keep the bling :mrgreen:

Dan Gerous

by Dan Gerous

Another plus for the Furys, the sole's knobs use a rubber compound that was developped for Salomon hiking boots soles, it's grippy but doesn't wear fast.

nitropowered

by nitropowered

Dan Gerous wrote:The Mavic come with metal sheilds in two different thickness to prevent that.

What?? There are two different thicknesses?

Oops, looks like I have one thick and one thin on mine

Dan Gerous

by Dan Gerous

Well, mine did, I had two thin metal sheild and two thicker ones...

Powerful Pete
Location: Lima, Peru and the Washington DC area - it's complicated.

by Powerful Pete

Snipped some of the less than useful quoting in the thread. Makes it easier to read...
Road bike: Cervelo R3, Campagnolo Chorus/Record mix...
Supercommuter: Jamis Renegade...
Oldie but goodie: De Rosa Professional Slx, Campagnolo C-Record...
And you can call me Macktastik Honey Pete Kicks, thank you.

CGT

by CGT

Sidi generally makes light shoes. Remember when I swapped my Sidi Action SRS for a pair of Shimano SH-M221, it was like adding half a pound to each foot!

ResurrectionRacing

by ResurrectionRacing

Sidi are nice, but I fancy something a bit special and the fury seem it...

Anyone got anything a bit different???

Vortechcoupe

by Vortechcoupe

Does specialized have an updated 2010 s-works shoe yet? With the two BOA knobs? Like in the long thread over in the road forum? I tried the current top end specialized mtn shoe with the small velcro strap at the bottom and only one BOA and the fit was ok but the 2010 road version is awesome.

This is the new road shoe, http://www.specialized.com/OA_MEDIA/equip/6100-04_l.jpg I want them to make this exact shoe but with a mtn sole!!

Here is the highest mtn version, http://www.specialized.com/OA_MEDIA/equip/6110-01_l.jpg I'd rather the two BOA's like the road shoe has. Claimed weight for these is 305 grams for size 42.

sl

by sl

There was picture of new s-works shoes in cyclingnews if I remember correct. For sure it was in mtba magazine. I think it also had two boa knobs and shiny black color. They look almost same as the road model that you posted.

ResurrectionRacing

by ResurrectionRacing

Local shop confirmed that they have two knobs like road shoes...

They look good but not blown away yet...

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com