Light MTB Shoes

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

ResurrectionRacing

by ResurrectionRacing

Ok I hope this is in right place.

What are the best race slippers out there???

I love the Mavic yellow ones...
Sidi Dragon

xcracer87

by xcracer87

Specialized Sworks MTB shoe is a nice one. Got to love the BOA

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Dan Gerous

by Dan Gerous

Having owned/used Shimanos, Specializeds, Sidis and Mavic Furys, not only are the Mavic lighter but they are (for my feet at least) the most comfortable bike shoes I have ever tried, they are actually more comfortable than many street (aka non-cycling) shoes. Now they make the Furys in yellow but also all black for those not wanting their shoes to scream...

A.C.

by A.C.

+1 for the Mavic Fury

-Really comfortable as soon as you get it. No need to wear it 100 hrs to get it fitted to your feet, it's already perfectly fitted

-The sole is really stiff, so combined with a comfortable fit, you get no pressure points

Only downside : If you choose the yellow ones, make sure to wash it if you don't want it to be stained. Or just go with the black ones!

nitropowered

by nitropowered

Love my Furys. Shed over a pound coming off of shimanos. The shimanos are nice too, but like everything else shimano, its a tad bit heavy

743power
Shop Wrench

by 743power

I am using the mavic chasms which are fairly light, as I got a good deal on them. I was previously using the adidas adistar xc's which are nearly identical to the furys. The fury has a feature that my adidas' had and the chasm doesn't, which is the wrap across tongue. I think that is where alot of the comfort in the shoe lies. I am really enjoying the chasms, they have been out on 20-40 mile rides with no discomfort. I will definitely upgrade to the furys if anything happens to these.
"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius -- and a lot of courage -- to move in the opposite direction."

ResurrectionRacing

by ResurrectionRacing

Mavic Fury getting a lot of love.....

I do like the yellow as well...

With the fury how well protected are the toe area, been reading review from the magazines (I know I know, thats why Iam asking) that they dont offer much front protection like some of the heaver shoes...

Do you guy's wear them for play and racing or just racing??

Dan Gerous

by Dan Gerous

Protection from what? These aren't construction boots, they're mtb/cx shoes! :wink:

There is a rubber/plastic toe protector, does it's job of protecting the meshy fabric around it and I guess it does protect a bit but... Kicking rocks? How does that happen? :noidea:

cerro

by cerro

Was looking for a new pair of shoes and can't do other than agree with every positive comment on Mavic Fury. Can't find anything better, using Mavic Zxellium for my roadbike and the Fury are just so right. Of course I will buy a yellow pair, black is boring.

ResurrectionRacing

by ResurrectionRacing

When Iv been racing I been cracked a few times by flying bits of rocks, In the Birtish national champs the course was very rocky along the top, lots of rock sticking out, ripped the front of my Northwave on some...

So just wondering...

sl

by sl

If you want to buy new shoes today, take yellow mavic fury
If you just checking then wait for new s-works shoes. They look super hot and should be even lighter.

Ninko

by Ninko

I don't think you will find anything lighter than the 2010 Specialized s-works mtb shoe!
Ride First!!

ResurrectionRacing

by ResurrectionRacing

Looking for new race/summer shoes so no rush....

Two hourse race??

Anyone use Lake?

nycmtber

by nycmtber

I have lake's top end model and really like them. I can compare them to the current S-works shoes and Sidi's dragon model, both of which I own.

The S-works are by far the lightest feeling on my foot. They also seem to work really well with egg beater pedals, better than any shoe I've used before. My only guess is the rubber is the perfect height so the wings of the eggbeaters don't dig in to the sole of the shoe. They breathe well, and fit OK. They are pretty low volume, especially compared to the lakes. Definitely narrower up front. The inside is not soft, far from it, so if you tend to walk very often for whatever reason, these are not such a great choice, imo. The tread is more like plastic and less like rubber so traction is not the best. The tread also feels narrow under my foot so it's more likely to twist an ankle, imo compared to some shoes I've used. I had some major blisters on my heels after a 100 mile race I did on my single speed where I was forced to walk on occasion up technical, steep terrain due to the unfriendly heel cup material. When it gets sweaty it slips, at least when walking, and is rather abrasive.

That said, if you never dismount and want a light, stiff feeling shoe the s-works will suit you fine.

The Sidi are great shoes and feel just like my ergo 2's I use on the road. They are heavier than the S-works by quite a bit. They feel like slippers, have great ventilation, and have decent tread. I rate them in between the lakes and specialized in that category. More rubber-like feeling but still narrow leading to instability when walking in nasty areas. Great shoes, cost too much, especially compared to other companies top end offerings.

The Lake's are amazing feeling shoes on my feet. The interior of the shoe is soft and forgiving and the padded tongue is excellent. They ventilate very well and maybe that "outlast" tech on the insides really does work as my feet are super happy inside them in all conditions. I really like the soft, supple leather and the custom fit. The sole is plenty stiff just like the other two shoes above. They are a tiny bit lighter than the Sidi, but heavier than the S-work shoes. I want to say about 50 grams per shoe difference, but I just cant remember the weights of all the shoes off hand. The tread is excellent, hiking boot material excellent - tacky, soft rubber that grips well in all conditions. It's also wider and thus they feel very stable. For this reason alone I wear them almost always now. it certainly helps that they are the most comfortable of the bunch, too!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ResurrectionRacing

by ResurrectionRacing

nycmtber, thanks for this, I use Egg beaters as well so gives me something to think about....

Thanks guy's