DA compatibility

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Ivan

by Ivan

Searching the web i saw the following: 12 - 21 ratio of the new DA 10 sp cassette does not work with the WH-R540 wheels, see:

http://dura-ace.shimano.com/publish/con ... faq_s.html

Why is that ?? I ma not buying this combination, just curious.

Cheers
I

Superlite

by Superlite

It won't work because the largest cog, the 21 tooth has too small of a diameter to clear the hubs end at the free hub. Any thing larger will clear the tolerence.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Ye Olde Balde One

by Ye Olde Balde One

It's because the wheel design department didn't talk to the cassette design department.

Otherwise known as a big screw up! :twisted:
Ride lightly!

Ivan

by Ivan

What about a 12-21 9 speed casette then ?? If i undertsand your explanation correctly that doesn't work either ! Right ?

Ivan

by Ivan

known as a big screw up!

AKA shimano ... lol

:-)

by :-)

shimano website wrote:12. Can I use the new 10-speed cassette on my current Shimano wheels?
The new 10-speed cassettes will be compatible with WH-7701, WH-7701-Carbon, and WH-R540* when used with a thin washer supplied with the aftermarket cassettes. In addition, you can only use the 12-25 &12-27 CS-7800 cassettes with the WH-7700 and WH-7700-Carbon wheels.

*Note: The 11-21 CS-7800 cassette combination will not be compatible with the WH-R540. All other ratios will work just fine.

are you refering to this? it says the 11-21? says everything else is ok.... surely that makes the 12-21 ok?

Joel

by Joel

This is just something typically ShimaNO. :roll:

Ivan

by Ivan

are you refering to this?

No i was refering to the explanation of Superlite:

It won't work because the largest cog, the 21 tooth has too small of a diameter to clear the hubs end at the free hub. Any thing larger will clear the tolerence

the cassette wont work because 21 tooth is too small. What about a 12-21 9 speed (instead of a 10 speed) ?
Are there other wheels/hubs that have this problem too ?

Oswald

by Oswald

Why would you want to mount a DA cassette on a 105 wheelset?

Ivan

by Ivan

no, as i said:
just curious.

Ivan wrote:
are you refering to this?

No i was refering to the explanation of Superlite:

It won't work because the largest cog, the 21 tooth has too small of a diameter to clear the hubs end at the free hub. Any thing larger will clear the tolerence

the cassette wont work because 21 tooth is too small. What about a 12-21 9 speed (instead of a 10 speed) ?
Are there other wheels/hubs that have this problem too ?

ivan, you quite clearly say that whilst searching the web you found that 12-21 doesnt work... & include the link? the link says 11-21 & says everything else is fine????

i cant see how in your origional post you were refering to superlite when he hadent posted it yet?

Ivan

by Ivan

Sure in my original post i was refering to the explanation from the shimano website (the one you quoted) but in my second post i was refering to the explanation of superlite. He says a 21 tooth is too small of a diameter so if i get it right a 12-21 9 speed is also too small of a diameter and now i am wondering are there other wheels/hubs that have this "problem" or is it just shimano ?
Sorry about the misunderstanding !

my dad has a set ov those wheels with a 21 tooth 9 speed casette on...

Ye Olde Balde One

by Ye Olde Balde One

Ivan wrote:Sure in my original post i was refering to the explanation from the shimano website (the one you quoted) but in my second post i was refering to the explanation of superlite. He says a 21 tooth is too small of a diameter so if i get it right a 12-21 9 speed is also too small of a diameter and now i am wondering are there other wheels/hubs that have this "problem" or is it just shimano ?
Sorry about the misunderstanding !

I think this can always be a problem depending on the hub flange. Velomax can have this problem, same with some Spinergy wheels. I tried fitting a Tiso 11-21t cassette to a Zipp wheel once and found it touched the hub unless I put in an extra spacer, problem was the rivets for the bottom sprocket were hitting the hub.
Ride lightly!

Ivan

by Ivan

my dad has a set ov those wheels with a 21 tooth 9 speed casette on...

so the problem is limited to a 10 sp cassette
I think im starting to understand the problem here ...
Im glad you all cleared that out. :)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com