2003 Trek Carbon Framed Fuel heavier than the 02' aluminum?

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

May191

by May191

Hey I was just wondering if you guys had info on this subject. Last year I owned a 2002 Trek fuel 100 with the aluminum frame, and carbon rear triangle. It was a nice bike, and weight in competitively stock. This year I got my new race bike an 03' Fuel 98, and have been working tirelessly on getting the weight down, but cant seem to find out where it seems there is mystery weight comming from..

I was also disapointed when i felt the weight of the new carbon framed fuel 100, with full o3' xtr and bontrager x-lite rims, it seemed still hevier than my trusty old aluminum frameed fuel.

Word from my shop was that trek aparantly removed 1/4 of a pound from the aluminum front tubing.

The wording on that seemed sorta tricky, So I gave trek an email and asked them if there entire 03 carbon fuel frame and rear shock weighd more than there 03 aluminum entire frame and reaer shock. But have received no response on the subject..

If any one has any info or input on the supject let me know, other wise I will have to tear it down and find out for myself.

thanks

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

May191

by May191

I final got emailed back regarding the frame isue... They claim that the new carbon frmaed fuel ends up being the same weight as the old aluminum because the fox rear shock they attatched was heavier this year than last..

So the frames end up weigng the same..

that was the trek's answer