Race Season Is here

A light bike doesn't replace good fitness.

Moderator: Moderator Team

DominicanBoy

by DominicanBoy

I did not do enough Foundation Miles this winter or Spring. Race Season is here. Should i keep on doing foundation miles or Should i go straight to Intervals and Tempo Work. Mountain Biking is only 4 months here in Minnesota.

kevbikemad

by kevbikemad

it's time to move on from base miles and into some "build" periods. by base miles i assume you mean long moderate aerobic rides. then yes, it is probably time to start working on some intervals and other higher tempo rides.

for a more structured approach and understanding of the basic principals, try a training book - Mountain Bike Training Bible by Joe Friel is a good one.

i am from winnipeg, manitoba (north of Min) and we obviously have a short racing season like you do.

by now i am starting my second "build period" of 4 weeks. each week includes roughly 2 different types of interval rides, one climbing day, and one long slow ride for endurance, plus a recovery/fun ride or two, depending on what my schedule allows.

BTW, my first race was at Buck in Minni about 10 years back. some great trails in the twin cities area.
blah, blah, blah

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Bruiser

by Bruiser

There is no evidence that slow rides build endurance better than a faster ride of the same distance.

Do paced endurance to build your base/foundation. Foundation rides are useful if you want to do alot more miles in a week and don't want to recover from strength work.

They do not create muscle endurance for race pace or anaerobic endurance. The aerobic endurance results are no better than normal paced training.

What focus of training are you moving to?

John979

by John979

Bruiser wrote:There is no evidence that slow rides build endurance better than a faster ride of the same distance.

More and more, the leading-edging training consensus rejects the notion of a "long steady duration" base in favor of more intense, but slightly shorter efforts. Instead of 4-6 hours at an easy pace, do 1.5-4 hours at tempo. In the off-season, reduce the volume of the rides, not the intensity.
John979

DominicanBoy

by DominicanBoy

Thanks, dis' helps a lot more.

I am trying to do more Recovery and Intervals for there is where i lack.
Does the Tempo or Speed Workouts need to be out of the Saddle if im doing them in the MTBike?

kevbikemad

by kevbikemad

the only thing you need to watch for is overtraining. by doing harder rides for shorter periods of time, you do run the risk of overtraining and injury.

as far as standing during your intervals, well that all depends on what kind of intervals, if you are just starting you will probably want to work on muscular endurance intervals. that is what is mostly needed in mtb racing. so 4 or more, 12 min intervals at race page or just below, full recovery for 3 min after each. concentrate on a nice smooth spin. do them on the road or smooth trails.

most of us can't stand for 10 minutes like lance, and the only time it is really used is for accelerating and on shorter climbs. so if you want to do short 15-30 spring intervals, standing is fine.
blah, blah, blah

bobalou

by bobalou

John979 wrote:
Bruiser wrote:There is no evidence that slow rides build endurance better than a faster ride of the same distance.

More and more, the leading-edging training consensus rejects the notion of a "long steady duration" base in favor of more intense, but slightly shorter efforts. Instead of 4-6 hours at an easy pace, do 1.5-4 hours at tempo. In the off-season, reduce the volume of the rides, not the intensity.

I agree.. but there is something to be said for the longer, steady rides. They burn fat better. And after all, it's losing that baby fat which is often needed at the beginning of a season. In fact, I think a strong arguement for doing base miles is just plain and simple - keeping the fat off!

Bruiser

by Bruiser

How much fat do ya put on?

You could keep training in the off season and do some real training in spring.

I race 52 weeks of the year (gotta luv the weather here) but I know a local who took the off season too easy. Given that he's getting whipped each week, I can guarantee he won't do it again any time soon.

DominicanBoy

by DominicanBoy

Muchas Gracias. Hare el entrenamiento de Intervalos Bien Suave..

smallfish101

by smallfish101

Bruiser wrote:How much fat do ya put on?

You could keep training in the off season and do some real training in spring.

I race 52 weeks of the year (gotta luv the weather here) but I know a local who took the off season too easy. Given that he's getting whipped each week, I can guarantee he won't do it again any time soon.

As a serious question, Bruiser, how do you keep motivated to race 52 weeks. Our season is about 25 races long, and at the end, we are all glad to see the end of it. I personally don't stop riding, but gone is the intensity for a few months - just the great, long, easy early morning rides followed by buckets of coffee.
GO HARD OR GO HOME

Bruiser

by Bruiser

I've given this topic a bit of though and it might be useful for others to consider it as the motivated athlete acheive alot more than an apathetic athlete.

Every person has a different motivating force for why they race or train.
Many won't have given thought to what their motivation is, but it will exist.

Some include:

Satisfaction of personal achievement (great self esteem builder)
Personal Expectations
Externally imposed expectations (we all know that group that won't talk to you useless you're a good rider)
Social participation
comaraderie of racing/training partners
the enjoyment of winning/dominating/exerting power
and of course the enjoyment of physical activity.

There are others and most people have a mix; but I looked at mine and have joined the club/circle of riders that helps me satisfy my motivating forces.

Personally I'm motivated by the drive for personal achievement more than anything. I rode a 5 hour century on dead roads today and I'm planning when I'll try for a double century.

I'm not driven by the need to win but always achieve new personal bests and I'll change club or discipline if I fail to satisfy my motivating forces.

I find each race motivating :)

smallfish101

by smallfish101

You are certainly right in that a motivated athlete will achieve more than an apathetic athlete. It's not the motivation, it's just sustaining that fire for a year. After year, after year. Without the fire, the races just become another training ride.
I used to do a lot of ultra distance running, and the whole year was devoted to it. It was not possible to just race - there had to be a time - and there stilll is now that I have changed over to biking - when it's really pissing down, dark as Hades, 04.30 a.m. winter morning - when you say " Bugger this, I am warm and comfortable." That's the fire that is difficult to keep up.
I guess if you do it for a living it is easier, but even the best need timeout.
Good luck - I admire your ability to do it.
I must say, that come New Year, when all the Christmas inactivity has started to bug, there is no staying in bed and it's out, early or late no difference, just out on the bike.
GO HARD OR GO HOME

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Bruiser

by Bruiser

I ride 75km on Xmas day to see my family and then 75 to get home :D
I used to do it to suprise my mum but the suprise wore off after a few years.

Even professional riders need to look at what makes them happy with their riding and stroking that desire/force is probably what makes the world's best riders. I don't think it's easier for them unless they are motivated by $$.

I just love my cycling and meeting my needs of personal acheivement and commeraderie during/after races.

If I couldn't find a club that meet my needs, I'd probably spend my Saturdays training at the same intensity that I race at. Being single makes this decision easier.

Lots of juniors have unlimited enthusiasm/motivation but lose it around the age of 18. I think the older riders need to help the juniors to know why they enjoy riding so they can make the right choice when that time comes.

We've all seen very tallented riders give up the sport because they lost their focus.