My 2009 Lynskey r330 Houseblend w/etched logos (7598g)

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

mrkenito

by mrkenito

2009 Lynskey r330 Houseblend (small) w/etched logos (7598g)

My Goals for this bike
  • Put together an all-around performance bike that is durable, light on climbs, stiff on sprints, and comfortable to ride
  • Aim towards the 15lbs (6.8-7.25kg) range without having to sacrifice performance x
  • Use clinchers
  • Use brake shifters
  • Maintain a titanium/black color palette with red/white/silver accent colors in regards to parts

10/22/1009
  • Dura-Ace 7800 brake shifters/bottom bracket/brakes/cassette (12-25)
  • Dura-Ace 7803 crankset (170mm)/front derailleur (34.9mm clamp-on)/rear derailleur (long cage)
  • Dura-Ace 7810 pedals
  • Deda Zero100 stem (100mm)
  • Deda Supernatural handlebars (44cm)
  • Deda Perforated Logo tape (black)
  • Chris King NoThreadSet headset (silver)
  • Chris King stem cap (Black)
  • Carbon fiber headset spacers (20mm & 5mm)
  • Easton EC90 SL carbon fork
  • Easton Compression plug
  • Easton EA90 SL wheelset
  • Easton supplied wheel skewers
  • Continental Grand Prix 4000s tires
  • Selle San Marco Aspide Carbon FX Arrowhead saddle
  • 3T Doric Team carbon seatpost (280mm uncut)
  • Lynskey supplied seatpost clamp
  • Token Ultra-light carbon waterbottle cages
  • Dura-Ace brake & shift cables/housing
  • Dura-Ace 10-Speed inline gear indicator <-so Fred but useful
  • (7620g)

10/31/2009
  • Polar Mount & Speed Sensor (+40g)
  • Zipp Ti Wheel Skewers (-35g)
  • OMNI Racer Seatpost Clamp (-15g)
  • Hawk Racing BB (-12g)
  • (7598g)

Glamour Shots

Last edited by mrkenito on Tue Oct 12, 2010 11:23 pm, edited 14 times in total.

astardotcom

by astardotcom

I love the polish and decals on that frame. Nice bike. I have a Lynskey Cooper and if there was one thing I could change it would definitely be the finish to the one you got there.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mrkenito

by mrkenito

thanks astardotcom.

I'm loving the ride of this bike. I was riding a steel Waterford built Paramount before and the r330 is about 3lbs lighter. Now if I can only drop some pounds, myself.

Btw, how much does your Cooper weigh? My SMALL frame weighed in at 2.8lbs as opposed to it's claimed weight of 2.5lbs.

I'm still trying to weenie the bike so I can get it in the sub 15lbs range. Some things I'm considering are...
  • switching to a compact crank (DA 7950)
  • cutting down the excess seatpost <--is this recommended?
  • cutting down an inch off the ends of the handlebar
  • replacing DA 10sp cassette out with an OMNI Racer Ti Ceramic Road Cassette
  • replacing current DA pulleys with a TOKEN TIRAMIC Bearing Derailleur Pulley Set
  • replacing current DA bearings with a TIRAMIC Ti Ceramic Bottom Bracket Bearings
  • upgrading to DA 7950/7900 gruppo
  • a lighter wheelset (although I'm loving my Easton EA90 SL)
  • titanium/alloy bolt upgrade
  • losing some body weight <-most important ;)

I'm still doing research on part and performance but I'm not willing to sacrifice that for weight.

Anybody have any thoughts, feedback, or advice?
Last edited by mrkenito on Wed Nov 25, 2009 7:16 am, edited 5 times in total.

mrkenito

by mrkenito

Thanks Juanmoretime...nice bike yourself.

In fact when I was talking with Don Erwin at Lynskey Performance, I used your bike as a reference. I thought the gold headset was a nice touch.

Just curious, does your frame have a solid etched logo or an outlined/solid version? It's hard to tell from the photographs.

fa63

by fa63

Nice bike; the brushed finish looks great on this bike.

The extra 0.3lbs over the claimed weight is kind of a bummer.

astardotcom

by astardotcom

My Cooper has a claimed weight of 2.8 pounds and it came in at 2.9 for a medium. As far as my whole bike goes, it weighs 7330 grams with 2010 SRAM Force (11-23 compact), HED Ardennes, Reynolds Ouzo Pro fork, CK headset, Thomson seatpost/stem, and an Antares saddle.

I've been starting to lower the weight within a reasonable budget by using Al bolts on the bottle cages, Ti skewers, and 55 gram Vittoria tubes so far. I have a rear derailleur tuning kit, new cables, Deda stem, 3t handlebars, KCNC pulley wheels, and a new cassette coming in the near future. I'm hoping all of this will bring me in the low 16 pounds range.

I think that if you decide to switch from your triple to a compact and get lighter wheels, you will definitely be more satisfied with your weight without sacrificing anything ;)

by 0302

Nice 330. It is disappointing that it came in that much overweight. Like the others said, a compact crank and different wheels will definitely get you to the weight you are looking for.

mrkenito

by mrkenito

Juanmoretime wrote:Its a solid etch. Etching is really the way to go since decals always seem to crack on titanium frames. This January I'll have had mine 2 years and it still feels as good to me as the first ride.

Damn, I wish I had the solid etched logo but Lynskey informed me they haven't done that style of etching in 2 years and would have to do a custom job. While I like the outline/solid logo, I think the solid version really stands out.

Tokyo Drifter

by Tokyo Drifter

# switching to a compact crank YES, YES, and YES. Better in every way!
# cutting down the excess seatpost <--is this recommended? Sure, for 10-20g, but only if you are confident of your position and sure that you are happy with the post ie, you'll never sell it if you cut it.
# replacing DA 10sp cassette out with an OMNI Racer Ti Ceramic Road Cassette Nope. DA functions best, you'll be better off with a short cage if you go to compact cranks, but there is no reason to get the OMNI parts
# replacing current DA pulleys with a TOKEN TIRAMIC Bearing Derailleur Pulley Set I wouldn't bother. You won't save much weight, and they are a lot of $$ for a stupid small part
# replacing current DA bearings with a TIRAMIC Ti Ceramic Bottom Bracket Bearings The point of ceramics is not weight savings, but that they roll much better. I would just stick with DA, as a ceramic BB is pretty spendy and only saves you 1-2kw (ie not much at all)
# a lighter wheelset (although I'm loving the Easton EA90 SL) This is the second thing I would do, behind a compact cranks and a short cage derailleur. [b]There are many options and what you choose really depends on your style of riding. It is not uncomplicated.[/b]
# titanium bolt upgrade. Maybe 80g to lose, but again, big outlay. Alloy bolts are lighter and cheaper and fine in most places on a bike.
# losing some body weight <-most important

TheBugMan
Location: Seattle ZOO - AfterReceivingComplaints, MyAvatarIsNowChanged. IGiveYouMySexyMug.

by TheBugMan

Great looking bike mrkenito, she will never go out of style and I bet will last forever also.

BTW, are there two diff handlebar tapes on it or are my eyeballs playing tricks?
CLICK HERE to see my weenie

Click THIS to hear what happens when I see your and my weenie.

mrkenito

by mrkenito

TheBugMan wrote:BTW, are there two diff handlebar tapes on it or are my eyeballs playing tricks?

Thanks TheBugMan. I really admire your bike as well...and your humor on this board.

Sharp eyes. I did have 2 different Deda handlebar tape (perforated black & faux carbon black) at the time of the photoshoot. I favored the perforated tape due to it's feel and weight (20gram savings) but unfortunately ripped the left side in the middle of the wrap. Not wanting to stall the photoshoot, I simply used the faux carbon temporarily and since changed that side.

Note: I'm using a reverse wrap on the bars (starting the wrap at the top) and the Deda perforated tape works perfectly. I prefer this wrap because it leaves a cleaner look at the top without the use of additional tape. With the perforated tape, the edges disappear however this requires a tight wrap (which is why I ripped it earlier)
Last edited by mrkenito on Fri Nov 06, 2009 10:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mrkenito

by mrkenito

Tokyo Drifter wrote:# switching to a compact crank YES, YES, and YES. Better in every way!
# cutting down the excess seatpost <--is this recommended? Sure, for 10-20g, but only if you are confident of your position and sure that you are happy with the post ie, you'll never sell it if you cut it.
# replacing DA 10sp cassette out with an OMNI Racer Ti Ceramic Road Cassette Nope. DA functions best, you'll be better off with a short cage if you go to compact cranks, but there is no reason to get the OMNI parts
# replacing current DA pulleys with a TOKEN TIRAMIC Bearing Derailleur Pulley Set I wouldn't bother. You won't save much weight, and they are a lot of $$ for a stupid small part
# replacing current DA bearings with a TIRAMIC Ti Ceramic Bottom Bracket Bearings The point of ceramics is not weight savings, but that they roll much better. I would just stick with DA, as a ceramic BB is pretty spendy and only saves you 1-2kw (ie not much at all)
# a lighter wheelset (although I'm loving the Easton EA90 SL) This is the second thing I would do, behind a compact cranks and a short cage derailleur. [b]There are many options and what you choose really depends on your style of riding. It is not uncomplicated.[/b]
# titanium bolt upgrade. Maybe 80g to lose, but again, big outlay. Alloy bolts are lighter and cheaper and fine in most places on a bike.
# losing some body weight <-most important

Thanks so much, Tokyo Drifter!

As far as compact cranks go, I've looked at DA 7950 (665g) and SRAM Red (740g). I'm leaning towards the DA compact due to the weight and SRAM Red due to the price...but I'm wondering which ones plays nicer with DA 7800/7803. With either option, I still need to switch out my left triple brake/shifter to a standard one. Aesthetics is also an important factor for me.

Until then, I'll continue strolling the message boards for answers.

Thoughts, advice, recommendations anyone?

Tokyo Drifter

by Tokyo Drifter

Someone can correct me if I am wrong, but I don't think that you need to change your shifter. If you put a compact crank on and set up the front derailleur, then the limit screws will prevent the shifter from going to 3rd gear... I am not so sure though, I have never had or worked on a road triple. :noidea:

7900 will look nicer aesthetically, red will work better as far as shifting (I think 7900 has slightly different spacing). Both lovely cranks. If you don't like the franken-group look of Red you could just get old force for cheap (and basically the same crank) and bust out the wet/dry sand paper.

themountaintop

by themountaintop

Very nice bike! What is the finish on it called? Is it the Industrial Mill or the Hand polished? Have you had any chances to take it up Mt. Tam or Mt. Diablo yet?

mrkenito

by mrkenito

themountaintop wrote:Very nice bike! What is the finish on it called? Is it the Industrial Mill or the Hand polished? Have you had any chances to take it up Mt. Tam or Mt. Diablo yet?

Hey thanks themountaintop!

I have the brushed finished. Seeing now that Lynskey offers 4 types of finishes on their frames (satin, brushed, milled, and polish), I'm very curious about the milled finish. Hopefully somebody will post these bikes here soon.

Haven't taken the bike up Diablo or Tam yet although I'm dying to do a long climb. I'm currently working on my aerobic base until spring with my brother who's training for an Ironman event. I did take it up the short Camino Alto climb on the way to Fairfax with some ease and I'm loving the responsiveness of this bike. Feels like a rocket upon acceleration.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com