8.4 pound Ruegamer now 8.2 pounds

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

donald

by donald

Here are some new pictures of my bike. I have a heavier fork and seat post on it but a few other things are lighter. For now I have a Dura Ace 9-spd rear derailleur. AX lightness Orien brakes, a lighter saddle, lighter cable housing, a new Extralite SX hub, the 13 and 12 tooth cog are carbon fiber, an Extralite UL3 stem, the headset is a combination of Cane Creek AER & Extralite, and I no longer have a seat post clamp. I have about 2000 miles on it without using a seat post clamp. I can give more details later.
Attachments
Copy of 100_0156 (800x604).jpg
100_0157 (800x604).jpg
100_0158 (800x604).jpg
100_0159 (800x604).jpg
100_0160 (800x604).jpg

tochnics

by tochnics

thats pretty light
however personaly i would like to have shifting from the bar as a high priced bike should have
not to rant because because it works on my commuter to ( da7800 version)
are you using hollow headset spacers?
u can still trimm the innercable that sticks beyond the brake and derailler clamps and use less bar tape on the top
only small weightlos ofcourse but every gram counts
what front derailleur do you have?
Join the light side

a light bike does make you go faster unless you are slow

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Raxel

by Raxel

A great example of classic WWism. :thumbup:
Still using that uberlight clincher rims? :shock:
And I wonder if those pneumatic hoses are usable for brakes too

donald

by donald

The bike is now 2 1/2 years old, with many, many miles on it. It is 8.21 lbs, 3,725 grams. Most everything is modified to some degree. The AX brakes weigh 101 grams, thats with pads and all hardware. My clincher wheels now weigh 750 grams, I have three rear wheels and four front wheels for this bike, all with Fred Johnson mag rims and various modified hubs. the lighest being an M5 flanged hub on front. As far as m;y not using a seat post clamp, the post fits very tight, I drilled a small hole in the post and have a small carbon screw at the bottom of the seat tube slot, going into the post to prevent the post from turning. I have about 1500 miles with this set up, over many rough roads, no problems at all. The post is a Performance Forte, modified it weighs 88 gra;ms, 295 mm. The front derailleur is campy Record, 46.5 grams. The rear derailleur is 124 grams, I made a ti spring but have not installed that yet. The stem is 78 grams, 110 mm. The modified rear hub is 128 grams. The cable housing works great. The headset weighs 23 grams. The saddle weighs 43 grams. More later.

Raxel

by Raxel

How do you modify those parts, just by shaving with dremels?

donald

by donald

I often use a dremel. Also a drill with various atachments depending on what I am modifing. Also a palm sander for a few things. Most things on my bikes are modified. When I bought my first road bike in 1970, I thought it was nice, my brother bought a lighter one and from then on I was interested in light bikes and how to make them lighter. As always, cycling is to enjoy. You really can't enjoy your ride if you have to worry that something is going to break. I have had many light bikes, with very few problems, I know what works for me and I don't go crazy with critical areas that could cause a crash. I have won many races with down tube shifters, it has never really been a problem, and this bike is made for being very light.

Raxel

by Raxel

I think it will be great if you can share how you modified all those parts yourself.
And just one more q: are those bar tapes benotto vinyl tapes? How much do they weigh?

Frankie - B
Admin - In the industry

by Frankie - B

Hi Donald,

Good to see that you found your way back again ;) Your bike is looking as WW as it can be! I have one question for you though: Did you cut parts out of the front rim, or is that just the strange color working in the pic?

Thanks
'Tape was made to wrap your GF's gifts, NOT hold a freakin tire on.'
If you want to see 'meh' content of me and my bike you can follow my life in pictures here!

TheBugMan
Location: Seattle ZOO - AfterReceivingComplaints, MyAvatarIsNowChanged. IGiveYouMySexyMug.

by TheBugMan

That is a unique bike you have there Don.
CLICK HERE to see my weenie

Click THIS to hear what happens when I see your and my weenie.

jipperd

by jipperd

Good to have you back here Donald.
This is what's WW is al about, :thumbup: making light bikes and light parts even lighter. These days it isn't difficult to build yourself a light bike due to recent technology’s. The WW factor is to take it a step further and this is it. This is WW all the way, I love the trick you’ve done with your seatpost clamp, or better the lack of it. I find it very cool to read you’ve driven the hell out of it, and still manage to make it lighter without sacrificing ride ability.
Congrats with this stunning bike, can you please supply us a spec sheet :D

Sleg8

by Sleg8

+1
Respect :thumbup: This is the essence of WWism.
"All I ask is the heavens above and the road below"

aerozy

by aerozy

A rideable 3.7kg bike! :shock: Im in shock! Congratulations... this is the coolest WW bike Ive seen here since Ive joined!

Btw what cable housing is that?
Factor O2 Rim / Winspace 1500 Disk / Yoeleo R6 Rim / Cervelo S2 Rim

Frankie - B
Admin - In the industry

by Frankie - B

@ aerozy: seen this one yet?
'Tape was made to wrap your GF's gifts, NOT hold a freakin tire on.'
If you want to see 'meh' content of me and my bike you can follow my life in pictures here!

KB

by KB

As others have stated, this is the essence of WW'ism.

I personally wouldn't return to to downtube shifters, but I have great respect for what's been done here. Would love to see a full build list of mods.

People like Donald have pushed the window to give us an appreciation of what we can possibly achieve in reducing weight off our bikes.

spoke n words

by spoke n words

10 more posts of bikes like this and a bunch of posts about the part mods and WW will be back on track!

Thanks for posting your bike! Well done! :thumbup:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com