The W word... Lets share our ideas

A light bike doesn't replace good fitness.

Moderator: Moderator Team

devinci

by devinci

Hello all

Its now almost :evil: WINTER :evil: here as Im pedaling the last kms of my 3rd road cycling season (2nd racing season). I though it would be a great idea to start (yet another) thread on our winter cycling specific preparation, so we could share our ideas/opinions/methods about it.

Here's what I will generally do this winter, knowing I cant ride outside from december to march (way too much snow) and I will start racing in may.

Me:
1.77 m
70 kg (scary for me, thin arms, can see my ribs, collarbone, lol)
MHR 195 bpm (yeah I train with HR)
Used to do weights in winter, but this year I wont so I can see if they were usefull in the past.
Focusing mostly on TTs cause I enjoy them a lot.

After my break (1 to 2 weeks of slow riding and reduced volume): Winter training will be based on 10 to 12 hrs a week with 4th week being a recovery week.

December:
-Ill work on SST 2 to 3 times a week (turbo sessions of 1 hour at a steady effort, about 80% to 85% of MHR, L2 and L3)

-Ill work on threshold intervals once a week (2 x 20 at 88% to 92% of MHR, L4)

-Core work (on swiss ball) and good stretching

-long snowshoeing in deep snow/hilly terrain on the weekend

January:
-Ill drop SST to 1 to 2 times a week

-Threshold work twice a week on turbo, L4

-Core work and good stretching

February:
-Threshold work once a week

-SST 1 or 2 times a week

-Short MAP intervals once a week, L5

March:
-If weather is fine, ill start riding outside

-Drop threshold to once every 2 weeks or so

-Short MAP intervals twice a week (30/30, 60/60, 2'/4', 5'/8') L5

-long snowshoeing in deep snow/hilly terrain on the weekend or long ride if weather's ok

Feel free to share your training for winter, your opinions and feel free to criticize my winter training too.

EspenBjørgan

by EspenBjørgan

I'll play.

Last race of the season is this saturday, followed by the party of the year, off course. The winter is dangerously close, 3 degrees and rain today, and the other day it was snowing. And speaking of the devil; there is the snow again. But okay. Training this winter; aiming for... 1000-1100 hours this season. Going to spend some time in january, february, march and april well south of Norway, which means, hopefully, good weather and loads of riding. Not much of a turbo-guy, but I might do a few more rides on it this winter depending on how the weather is. Got a Bianchi CX-bike that works great in the snow. But enough of the babble.

October: Break. Yup. A bit more then three weeks, where I just ride when/if I feel like it. And when I get out to ride, I'll ride my ass of. Really gunning it and having fun. Might start lifting weights again just to get used to it, and also do some stretching and core-work, but mainly I'll just do what I wanna do when I wanna do it.

November: 85 hours. Starting to go. Two long steady rides, two sub-threshold interval-rides, two trips to the gym followed by a few hours on the bike, and one day "off" with a few hours easy recovery and an hour+ of stretching.

December: 90 hours. Much the same as november, except one of the sub-threshold-rides will be bumped up to threshold.

January: 95 hours. Two rides at threshold, otherwise still much the same.

February: 95 hours. Same again. One of th threshold-rides might end up as shorter intervals 20-ish watts above threshold.

March: 85 hours. Time to get to raceintensity, doing some classics-inspired training as well as some sprinttraining.

April: Start racing.

Depending on where the camps end up, the gym-work will be replaced by on-bike strength-training. Everything will be done the good ol' 3 weeks on, 1 week off way. And what goes for hours... Well, might end up a littlebit more. But we'll see. This is just to get an idea for now.
Hell yeah!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

devinci

by devinci

Thanks for your reply EspenBjorgan.

And thats a $hiTload of monthly hours!!!!!!!

Are you racing as a living? That might be nice.

I like your planning, it looks like mine with the sub-threshold and threshold work. Only difference is, after reading much about it, I got convinced that weights are not a good way to improve my cycling performance, so is strength training on the bike, IMO (talking for me).

Lets see what others have to say about their training or about ours!!!

mattr

by mattr

Get studded tyres out of the attic.
Get box of thermal kit out from storage.

Ride bike as per normal.

(tho this year i will have to buy studs for the cross bike too.)

EspenBjørgan

by EspenBjørgan

I don't do much other then riding my bike, otherwise I wouldn't be able to do those kinda hours. Hehe. Just an amature, though. I kinda "study" at the local university, but that mainly means reading in my sparetime, so no stress there.

Two years ago I did a full strengt-program, last year I had to cut back some, and my timetrialling suffered from it, so I'll be doing more again this winter. Nice break from riding in the snow as well.
Hell yeah!

record

by record

Why do turbotraining if there is snow outside. Just take your MTB bike and go cycling to the wood! A lot of fun and much better workout!
A light bike does replace good fitness.

devinci

by devinci

Record:

I wish I could, but its impossible to ride my MTB in 1 meter + snow...even in the woods. Thats why I go snowshoeing.

EspenBjorgan:

You mean you did a full weight training program that actually helped your TTing?? Or you also did at the same time some quality training on the turbo? (i.e Threshold, sub-threshold work)

LouisN

by LouisN

record wrote:Why do turbotraining if there is snow outside. Just take your MTB bike and go cycling to the wood! A lot of fun and much better workout!

Yeah,

In my region (wayyyy up north in Canada), we have from 2 meters up (record 4 meters in the mountains last year) of snow cover in the winter.

I'll be skiing for shure :thumbup:

Snowshoeing sounds like a good idea.

This winter, I'll plan NOT to gain 25-30 lbs :lol: ...And start with a better power/weight ratio.

Cut down on saturated fats (I'm surrounded by yummy food where I work) is first on the list :cry: ...Geeez! When the weather gets cold, the body (read the brains) is craving for fat and sugar !!!!)
Go on the trainer two or three times a week, just keeping the legs and lungs alive till the new year's resolutions.
I made a personnal training plan to be ready for (Masters and local) races in May (that was three years ago!!! ), but the usual base training for that (bigger volume) would have to be made in february-march (like 10-12 hours/week , all on the trainer)!!!! NOT THINKABLE for my lifestyle !!!!
This winter, starting february, or march, or april....I'll TRY to increase intensity (on the trainer), and forget about volume (not enought time available)...
Use time to STRECH a few times a week. Working on core muscles and basic weights in the basement.
Enter races when I feel "ready" to be competitive, that is june or july...

Louis :)

record

by record

I complety forgot that winter weather can be so hard :o In Poland we did have mild winters for some years, so the are only few cm of snow for not many days during winter (I'm sorry, but I had to add that it is actually possible to ride road bike here even in January :twisted: ) - but riding MTB bike in the woods is still fun though :thumbup:
A light bike does replace good fitness.

EspenBjørgan

by EspenBjørgan

devinci wrote:EspenBjorgan:

You mean you did a full weight training program that actually helped your TTing?? Or you also did at the same time some quality training on the turbo? (i.e Threshold, sub-threshold work)

Both threshold and gym-work. A strong gluteus seems to be important when it comes to timetrials.
Hell yeah!

OJ

by OJ

Two rest days every week. Three days of SST and threshold work and two days of tempo or fartlek (usually on skis). Weekly hours will be 6-12, mostly under 10h. No weights for me but I'll train my core at home. Season goals are Canadian road nationals and TransRockies so July-August.

We don't get too much snow, but when it's -20 or colder and wind blows over the frozen prairies, doing anything outside is far from good training. It's supposed to be el Niño winter so hopefully it will be bit milder.

I've found improving my threshold power to be much more beneficial than reeling in massive hours and I'll train my threshold all year round.
http://demarere.blogspot.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

devinci

by devinci

OJ

I was waiting for your contribution to this thread. I remember some posts from last winter when we discussed about 2 x 20 and threshold VS map work.
I didnt noticed you were canadian... Did you raced the nationals this year? They were held in my hometown!

Could you tell me how you manage your 3 SST and 1 threshold workouts (how do they fit in your week) and what they exactly consist of...??

Looking foward for your reply!

Geoff

by Geoff

Cut it out. Now. I am in Calgary and we now have snow forcasted for the weekend. I blame you. Thanks a lot. :lol:

OJ

by OJ

devinci wrote:OJ

I was waiting for your contribution to this thread. I remember some posts from last winter when we discussed about 2 x 20 and threshold VS map work.
I didnt noticed you were canadian... Did you raced the nationals this year? They were held in my hometown!

Could you tell me how you manage your 3 SST and 1 threshold workouts (how do they fit in your week) and what they exactly consist of...??

Looking foward for your reply!

Monday: Off
Tuesday: Trainer, 15min warm-up, 2 x 20min with 5min between, 15min cool down.
Wednesday: Same as Tuesday or one less interval if 3 x 20 on Tuesday
Thursday: Trainer or XC ski, 15min warm-up, 45-90min tempo/fartlek, 15min cool down. If XC ski then usually over an hour, less on a trainer.
Friday: Off or very very easy spin for 30-45min. I don't do this too often.
Saturday: Same as Tuesday.
Sunday: Same as Thursday or 2 x 45min tempo/fartlek on skis. 2-3h all together.

I meant SST and/or threshold work 3 days per week.

If weather is nice, I ski bit more or even go outside for a ride. When it's really cold, I stay inside.

No I didn't do nationals because we had a daughter at the beginning of June and that kinda took a chunk out of my summer. We tend to head to US for races more than do Canadian races because even Minneapolis has pretty good racing. I hope to travel more next summer but we'll see. There should be good races in Wisconsin before nationals and Superweek would work really well before TransRockies. Nationals and TransRockies I'll do for sure.

Canada and Norway are chiming in, we're waiting for Sweden and Finland to contribute...all the f***n winter countries :lol:
http://demarere.blogspot.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

devinci

by devinci

Hello guys

I got a question for those of you who are really used to 2x20'.

I did this workout this morning on the trainer cause the weather was sh!t here. I would only like to know if the intensity was right or if I overcooked it a bit...

max HR is 195 bpm
TT HR is 180-182 bpm
the 20 min intervals were done at 168-175 bpm (the second was higher, see polar file)
Cadence was fairly constant during both intervals. I used same resistance and same gear during both intervals.
I'd say my effort was at 4-5 (medium to strong) ou of 10 on PE scale, fast breathing. The workout seemed harder psychologicaly then physicaly...

thanks for inputs
Attachments
2x20.GIF

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com