Upgrade decisions

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

alexroseinnes

by alexroseinnes

Hi there,

I am currently on a 2009 Giant TCR Advanced SL (non-ISP). I race crits with Zipp 404s. Should I:

a) Sell the frame and get a Cervelo S3 to use in crits with Zipp 404s - more aerodynamic.
b) Keep Giant and 404s plus get a set of Zipp 808s for racing.

The Giant is at 6.8kgs so no need to upgrade to any weenier parts :)

Alex

Murphs

by Murphs

You don't need to upgrade anything.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

alexroseinnes

by alexroseinnes

I know i don't "need" to upgrade anything. I am just wondering which would offer the biggest net increase in speed in a crit breakaway - Cervelo S3 with 404s or the Giant with 808s.

Tinea Pedis

by Tinea Pedis

You already have a power meter?

Stats

by Stats

Not based on any scientific data, i reckon an S3 with 404's would be faster than a Giant TCR Advanced SL with 808's...

simply because the 404's are already pretty aero wheels, but the new Giant frames have a down tube resembling a bit of 4 by 2 and do not look particularly aero IMO...

alexroseinnes

by alexroseinnes

I have a powertap laced to a mavic open pro - HEAVY. But I mainly use this on my old bike on the trainer. There seem to be so many changes these days in technology that I am holding off on a new purchase. The other option for me is to get a FSA Quarq. I must say that I am wishing I went SRAM Red to get the new SRAM Red Quarq. Not in love with DA 7900 as the levers have a really long reach.

alexroseinnes

by alexroseinnes

The more I race crits and road races, the more I'm sure that an aero frame makes a big difference. Aside from breakaways, the the effort required wrt small gaps that you are continually having to close must be made easier by an aero frame.

Tinea Pedis

by Tinea Pedis

Personally...from someone with bugger all race experience...there is something in it, to me, that not every bike frame is built with aero in mind.

I would really be surprised if you were that much faster with a bling new S3. Or found holding wheels that much easier.

Do you have a coach? Because power and coaching would be where my cash would be being directed if I raced and had the equipment that you have at my disposal....

Not the coolest or most exciting options - and only my .02 from a non-racing Fred.

2002SaecoReplica

by 2002SaecoReplica

alexroseinnes wrote:The more I race crits and road races, the more I'm sure that an aero frame makes a big difference. Aside from breakaways, the the effort required wrt small gaps that you are continually having to close must be made easier by an aero frame.

It doesn't make any difference. You'll benefit infinitely more by using the money you're going to spend on buy a new frame/wheels by getting a good coach that knows how to coach you using power. A power meter is totally worthless unless you know how to train with it.
- Zipp rims will break if you look at them too hard
- R-Sys wheels will spontaneously explode
- The ZG crankset will never, ever exist
- Everyone needs Lightweights, even if they're fat and old
- Parts actually made of metal are SO 10 years ago

Murphs

by Murphs

Ok if you think upgrading is necessary, S3 with 404s.

@Tinea, we're in Australia, you're a 'Hubbard' not a 'Fred' :D

Tinea Pedis

by Tinea Pedis

'Hubbard' eh? Where did that one come from? :lol:

And here I was starting to embrace the name 'Fred' :(

Murphs

by Murphs

'Hubbard' short for 'Mother Hubbard'

Same thing. Different smell.

alexroseinnes

by alexroseinnes

2002SaecoReplica wrote:
alexroseinnes wrote:The more I race crits and road races, the more I'm sure that an aero frame makes a big difference. Aside from breakaways, the the effort required wrt small gaps that you are continually having to close must be made easier by an aero frame.

It doesn't make any difference. You'll benefit infinitely more by using the money you're going to spend on buy a new frame/wheels by getting a good coach that knows how to coach you using power. A power meter is totally worthless unless you know how to train with it.

you seem pretty convinced even though there is data that says otherwise. I have spent money on a coach. Enough to know that it is not that hard to coach yourself with a powermeter and a thirst for knowledge.

So which is faster, the Giant with 808s or the S3 with 404s. That's all I want to know.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

awpincus

by awpincus

808's are not a great crit wheel, maybe 606's..The 808 seems to have more flex, unless you build them up clydesdale. Personally I like the S3 better than the TCR..I'm also not a fan of Zipp Wheels other than for TT. No way would I trust a new set of factory Zipp Wheels (newer models) in a crit.