Best rubber...

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

Timo

by Timo

For pure stopping power, which canti rubbers are the best for alu rims and which for carbon rims?

Thanks in advance,

Timo

Boonen

by Boonen

I think that brakesetup is more important than the actual brakepads.
I use mtb-style cartridge pads from bbb. The cartridge makes them easy to adjust and super easy to exchange and because of the soft rubber they brake very well. I believe they cost somewhere between 1,5 and 2 euro per brake. In muddy conditions they don't last long, but they brake good and because they are so cheap I replace them very often.
If you switch to cf rims I would go with the coolstop pads made for cf rims.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

srides

by srides

Setup is sooo important. I use spooky canti's, and the setup will make the difference between stopping on a dime or feeling like you have ice on your rims. ritchey pads are a good choice, as is koolstop/avid

Samu Ilonen

by Samu Ilonen

If you thy those new Shimano Cantilever brakes, you will be amaized. VERY powerfull!

Timo

by Timo

Boonen, could you tell me which type of BBB cartridges you use? I use their BBS-08 cantistop rubber (medium compound) but I am not very satisfied with their stopping power.

Boonen

by Boonen

@Timo. I can't find the type number on the pads themselves. All I know is they come in both black and blue and that they aren't expensive. The pads are pretty soft, wear fast but work good on the ceramic rims I use. Because they were so fast I just get the cheapest pads I can find that fit standart mtb brakeshoes.
There is also a (more expensive) BBB version with a black, a grey and a light grey area on the pad, but to be honest I didn't feel any significant difference in the brakingpower between them.
I think the setup of the brakes is more important than the type of brakepad used.
I had braking problems on crossbikes as well, and never had enough power to fx. lock up the rear wheel. Last winter I exchanged a pair of spooky's with some tektro's because I had some problems with a vibrating front fork on a new bike. The tektro's are more mtb style and very adjustable so toe-in adjustments are easy to make. I also changed the setup of the brakes a bit after reading an article by Keith Bontrager about canti setup, and that really made the difference for me. I couldn't find the article but think you get the point if you read this thread:

http://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum ... php?t=3359

Hope this is any help for you.

Timo

by Timo

That would be a very interesting article! If somebody saved it somewere please post it here.

Boonen, are the pads listed on their website:

http://www.bbbparts.com/products/bike_parts/brakes.html

Boonen

by Boonen

Thanks for the webadress, I couldn't find the site earlier.
The pads I use should be the BBS-06 VeeStop (or an earlier model, because I haven't seen the red and gray pads before, only blue and black)

Because of the mtb-style padholders they are easily adjustable and very quick to replace. I'm not sure if you can somehow modify your spooky's to work with these.

But again, I really think it is the overall setup that is the most important, not the pads used.

I did a little search for Keiths article, but I can't find it. Too bad it isn't on their website anymore...
Maybe you can use this, it basically says the same but isn't written as well: http://www.sheldonbrown.com/canti-trad.html

Timo

by Timo

Thanks. Upto now my brakes are not even near being able to "lock" the rear wheel when braking. Could you please take some pics of the setup on your bike?

Boonen

by Boonen

Sure, I'll get to it when I come home tonight.

Timo

by Timo

Cool! Thanks in advance 8)

Boonen

by Boonen

Timo, sorry for the delay.
Here is my setup: On the front the straddle is mounted high for smoother braking and to prevent the fork from trembling when braking (it's still plenty strong though). On the rear the straddle is mounted lower for maximum braking power.
Attachments
rear-brake.jpg
front-brake.jpg

Timo

by Timo

Thanks, that's hardly a delay. And as you know, a pic tells more than a thousand words 8)

Boonen

by Boonen

Timo wrote: And as you know, a pic tells more than a thousand words 8)

That's so true. Let us know how it works out for you,
Good luck!

Timo

by Timo

Boonen, I owe you one! I changed the setup and...locked the rear wheel first time I hit the breaks today 8)

I use 65 mm BBB rubber in front and 72 mm BBB rubber in the rear with the cables and angles similar to your bike.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com