What tools to remove Sram Red crankset?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Lars D.

by Lars D.

Hi guys!

I am changing frame and thus I need to move my Sram Red crankset. What tools do I need? And anything to be extra aware of?

Cheers and thanks!
Lars
Cannondaler

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Starter

by Starter

I'm not super familiar with SRAM cranksets, but I assume they use a large diameter hex for the bolt on the non-drive side crank arm. Loosen that, and remove it.

Now you'll need a crank-puller, which is a device that will screw into that bolt hole while at the same time pushing against the spindle, causing the crank arm to come off. The mechanics of the device are sort of hard to explain in writing but fairly obvious in practice when you have one in front of you.

Once the non-drive side crank arm is off, the drive side portion of the crank is free. It may be slightly hard to get out, however, so gently (but with sufficient force) pull the drive side crank away from the frame. You'll be pulling the spindle out through the bottom bracket portion.

After you've pulled the crankset off the bike you'll need a bottom bracket tool to get the bottom bracket off your frame... when doing this, remember that the cups loosen clockwise on the drive side, and loosen counter-clockwise on the non-drive side. Start with the non-drive side. It's a pretty simple operation.

You should be able to pick up a crank puller and a BB tool at your bike shop for around 10-20 bucks each.

sml12

by sml12

This is the Rival & Force videos. The Red might be similar and it sounds like it from the post above ...

http://willyoumaketheleap.com/

Then click Service.

Shouldn't take you very long to remove!

RollinOn27s

by RollinOn27s

8mm hex wrench.

External BB tool.

sml12

by sml12

RollinOn27s wrote:8mm hex wrench.

External BB tool.

And a huge hex key for taking off the locking screw over the nut that requires the 8mm hex.

Arrow

by Arrow

nope... no big hex.
just turn the 8mm in the direction opposite the arrow on the crank near the bolt. the crank comes off automatically.
Super easy.
The other side might need to be banged out a big by hand.
Don't remove the 15mm hex... its the thing the makes the cranks come off by them selves.

DocRay
Banned

by DocRay

The external BB tool:
It's called the GXP tool or Howitzer tool, ~$25.
Google: Results 1 - 20 of about 88,500 English pages for _doping_, _cycling_ and _denies_. (0.33 seconds)

yakk

by yakk

You have your choice of either a wrench or a socket for the BB. I like the socket better - it allows you to use a torque wrench when you reinstall it.

DocRay
Banned

by DocRay

yakk wrote:You have your choice of either a wrench or a socket for the BB. I like the socket better - it allows you to use a torque wrench when you reinstall it.

Wrong wrench tool. SRAM is not hollowtech . You should never wrench a BB on a CF or aluminum frame.
Google: Results 1 - 20 of about 88,500 English pages for _doping_, _cycling_ and _denies_. (0.33 seconds)

yakk

by yakk

DocRay wrote:
yakk wrote:You have your choice of either a wrench or a socket for the BB. I like the socket better - it allows you to use a torque wrench when you reinstall it.

Wrong wrench tool. SRAM is not hollowtech . You should never wrench a BB on a CF or aluminum frame.

I believe I used the wrench on both my Shimano and SRAM/GXP BB's. If you look at the spec's for the socket, it fits both.

DocRay
Banned

by DocRay

You can use a wrench, but you have no idea about the proper torque, and it's easy to over-tighten and tear out the BB shell from the CF at 30Nm+.

FreaK

by FreaK

DocRay wrote:The external BB tool:
It's called the GXP tool or Howitzer tool, ~$25.

or the shimano tool, or any of the sockets you can now get. all the same shit.
the campy one works too.
it's actually possible to come to the conclusion even before realising it makes no sense at all
-
tymon_tm

ty-ro

by ty-ro

Bringing this one back from the dead...

So how do you REALLY get a Sram Red crank off? You have to take out the big hex nut to get the smaller one out. Crank puller or no crank puller I can't get the friggin' thing off!

Any help?

Raxel

by Raxel

Just unscrew the big nut and crankarm comes off
and you need BB tool to unscrew bb cups

Gearjunkie

by Gearjunkie

Nope.

Leave the big nut well alone. You don't need to take it off, it's part of the self extracting mechanism (that avoids the need for a crank puller).

Just undo the smaller (central, NDS) bolt using an 8mm hex wrench (allen key). That will get the crank off.

If you want to take the BB off too, just use a standard Shimano BB tool.

Hope that helps.

:D

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com