New 160g rim from ax lightness

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

maxxevv

by maxxevv

Hey Nils!

You guys have fun at Interbike! And remember to post more photos. Can't be there this year due to personal commitments.

Have fun! :thumbup:

phallenthoul
in the industry

by phallenthoul

end of the legend of Edge? :(

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

So that's the weight with the decals on the rim... so, technically we can reduce the rim weight by 10-15g per rim by removing the decals? :shock:

And if the price is that high, those decals better be removable!
Exp001 || Other projects in the works.

tranzformer

by tranzformer

phallenthoul wrote:end of the legend of Edge? :(

Not so sure about that. I don't think just because a company comes out with a lighter wheel that all of a sudden "the legend of Edge" has vanished. Edge is still Edge. If you loved there work before, there is no reason not to continue and support their work.

madcow
Shop Owner

by madcow

I'd like to take a moment to clear up some misunderstandings.

The 160gram rims that I showed last week, ARE NOT production and will not be production anytime in the near future. These were simply an exercise to show what is possible if a rider were light and money was no object.

Ax seems to be moving into a new direction with the company. They are trying to produce things in a way that are more cost effective and with higher rider weight limits. This means that some production items are not as light as they could be, but the trade off is that many more people will be capable or riding and affording them. The production version of the 24mm rim will be right at 200 grams.

The wheelset that we built with them, used the new Tune Mag90 and C-4 front hub, total wheelset weight was 608.8 grams.

You can see some pics and more details here: http://fairwheelbikes.com/forum/viewtop ... =25&t=6575

mythical

by mythical

DAAAMMN 608.8g is an impressive weight for wheels! :shock: I've heard from a friend who spoke with Uli Fahl at Eurobike that the Mag90 hubs are as strong, if not stronger and more foolproof than their heavier counterparts due to its magnetic freewheel mechanism. It's nice to see a serious competitor to Edge Composites enter the rim market like AX does.

“I always find it amazing that a material can actually sell a product when it’s really the engineering that creates and dictates how well that material will behave or perform.” — Chuck Teixeira

phallenthoul
in the industry

by phallenthoul

tranzformer wrote:
phallenthoul wrote:end of the legend of Edge? :(

Not so sure about that. I don't think just because a company comes out with a lighter wheel that all of a sudden "the legend of Edge" has vanished. Edge is still Edge. If you loved there work before, there is no reason not to continue and support their work.

well by legend I mean "being the lightest"..
for sure Edge is still Edge. I still love them.

tranzformer

by tranzformer

Oh good phallenthoul. I was starting to worry that you stopped drinking the Edge Kool-Aide with the rest of us.

phallenthoul
in the industry

by phallenthoul

nah I'll be the last one.

Epic-o

by Epic-o

Madcow or pkOr...

Can you comment anything about the prototype Ax cranks??

Weight if it is possible...

pk0r

by pk0r

The prototype is ~325g. The production version is going to be 350-360g with stock steel bearings, but it is also planned to offer ceramic bearings as upgrade which would save ~15g. There is going to be a BCD130 as well as BCD110 version of it right at launch. Price is going to be "competitive", i.e. as first rough guideline: noticeably lower than a THM for instance.

Hiii Lee and Rico btw. :hello: :popcorn:
| works for an European bike manufacturer |
| "I respect the work in coloring parts but the result is stupid-monkey in silk clothes is still monkey." |

Raxel

by Raxel

pk0r wrote:The prototype is ~325g. The production version is going to be 350-360g with stock steel bearings, but it is also planned to offer ceramic bearings as upgrade which would save ~15g.

Sounds too good too be true... THM weighs ~410gr including BB and new AX crankset weighs 50~60gr less AND cheaper? :shock:

mythical

by mythical

I foresee a lot of 2nd hand Clavicula's on offer in the not so distant future! :lol:

What I'm curious about is if the AX cranks have a Q-factor closer to Shimano's than Clavi's... And do the AX cranks work with BB30 or just BSA, Italian perhaps? What about EN compliance?

Hell, with that weight, I'm almost tempted to get a pair! :mrgreen:

Then there's this...
“I always find it amazing that a material can actually sell a product when it’s really the engineering that creates and dictates how well that material will behave or perform.” — Chuck Teixeira

mca56

by mca56

What is the C-4 front hub that Madcow is referring to?

djconnel

by djconnel

Ruegamer + EE + FiberLyte + Shimano????. I'm having a hard time here..... :)

But fantastic work by Jason and company. God, I wish I was there right now....

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com