The bike is DONE!!!

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

What do you guys think of my avitar?

Should i remove it
47%
Leave it
26%
Just dont care
26%

Total votes: 34

spytech

by spytech

this was my project for 3 months, and this is my first road bike.

these are the specs, i do not know exact bike weight i just added a couple of grams to whatever specs everyone else had but here it is:

Giant TCR ONCE Carbon 2003 M 1074 g
Giant TCR Composite 2003 1 1/8" 359 g
Mavic Ksyrium SSC SL 2004 1610 g
Campagnolo Record seat post 2003 27.2/350 mm 197g
Campagnolo Record Ergopower 10s 2004 332 g
Campagnolo Record 10s 2004 190 g
Campagnolo Record 10s 2004 braze-on 75 g
Campagnolo Record chain 280 g
campagnolo record cassettete 200 g
campagnolo cables 220 g
Fsa superlite carbon cranks 175mm 518 g
FSA Platinum Pro Ti 2003 68x108 mm Titanium 182 g
Look cx-6 345 g
cat claws brakes 207 g
Deda synapsi 445 g
Selle Italia SLR 2003 143.3 g
Tufo Elite Tubular clincher 635g

about 15.5lbs

i will have better pics later, i just took this with a binocular camera that sux.
Attachments
My_bike.jpg
Last edited by spytech on Tue Jan 13, 2004 2:21 am, edited 3 times in total.

Oswald

by Oswald

Sweet ride...

I've been dreaming about a composite tcr for quite a while now (I'm riding an aluminum tcr now and really like it)

I've already got a dura ace group and different wheelsets lying around, so the dream is becoming more and more a reality...

If you could post any more pics (or send them to me), I would really enjoy that...

How does it ride? Must be very plush and forgiving...

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

spytech

by spytech

as soon as i get my hands on another camera i will post other pics.

this is the second carbon bike i have ridden (im use to ti frames) and the stiffness is great on the frame especially going uphill, the only flex i get is from my fsa BB its Ti. i need to do some more riding before i say whats what for sure, but im love with this bike. only thing is i cant get use to the aero extension on my deda synapsi bars.

drew

by drew

spytech wrote:this is the second carbon bike i have ridden (im use to ti frames) and the stiffness is great on the frame especially going uphill, the only flex i get is from my fsa BB its Ti. i need to do some more riding before i say whats what for sure, but im love with this bike. only thing is i cant get use to the aero extension on my deda synapsi bars.
Are you sure its the B/B I have never had a single flex from my Ti FSA, are you a heavy guy? I think more likely frame at B/B than B/B itself

spytech

by spytech

im 174 lbs 6 feet tall, just weighed myself last week. its not much flex. my friend rides the same frame, and once he changed to the fsa with the chromoly spindle he said it was much better. but for now, its good. i just want the weather to get better in new york right now its 24°F
Feels Like 12°F

jim

by jim

those wheels could definitely be upgraded if you have the $. mavic make some nice products, but sl (superlight) they are not. interesting choice of tires there.

spytech

by spytech

jim wrote:those wheels could definitely be upgraded if you have the $. mavic make some nice products, but sl (superlight) they are not. interesting choice of tires there.

HUH :?:

jim

by jim

huh? in simple english for you then...

your choice of wheels and tires is interesting considering you're concerned with saving weight. neither are light. still a nice bike though. as for your avitar...

Superlite

by Superlite

He's a newb, he doesn't know what he's saying.

Jim, you know those are $850 wheels don't you? Plus spytech chose those wheels, he built up his bike from scratch. Besides, not every part is chosen just for weight, performance and handeling characteristics are other things to look at. Obviously spytech wanted a super stiff set of wheels. If performance and part characteristics wasn't important everyone here would have at least one part to replace, but trust us, we know what the lightest parts are. :wink:

My bike is 15.5lbs, and I could have saved weight all over the place. My seat weights 250g, wheels 1485g, brakes 310g, none of these super lite parts, so another 1.5 - 2lbs, but comfort and handeling and stiffness were paramount on my bike. One thing you have to learn is light weight is good, but it's not always the best for the application.

You shouldn't just tell people to get a lighter part, thats easy, but getting a lighter part that fits the need of that person and does it as good or better then the original is what its about.

Not trying to hassel you, your new here, so welcome. Just keep some of these things in mind in the future.
Last edited by Superlite on Fri Jan 09, 2004 8:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

drew

by drew

jim wrote: your choice of wheels and tires is interesting considering you're concerned with saving weight. neither are light. still a nice bike though. as for your avitar...

Jims right Ksyriums are really nice, reasonably light but not weight weenie ish by any means. As for tyres 635g for 2! holy crap and they aint even that good!. Decent allround training tyres try Vittoria Rubino pro, of course Conti S/Sonics for real light weight

drew

by drew

Superlite wrote:He's a newb, he doesn't know what he's saying.

One thing you have to learn is light weight is good, but it's not always the best for the application.

You shouldn't just tell people to get a lighter part, thats easy, but getting a lighter part that fits the need of that person and does it as goo or better then the original is what its about.
Not trying to hassel you, your new here, so welcome. Just keep some of these things in mind in the future.

Man you really have changed, even giving people friendly advise. Did you have an epiphany over they new year or something :D

Superlite

by Superlite

naw. :D

Not at all, I was just grouchy at the time when you joined up because I had to sell my bike, maybe you didn't see my post about that. My car engine blew up and I had to use my tuition money to pay to fix it. So I had to sell my bike, hence me being grumpy. :wink:

jim

by jim

superlite, not meaning to piss you off here, but i know a thing or two about what i'm saying. enough about getting into a pissing contest here anyway lol. i'm not new either... i've just been lurking. point is, for $850, there are many wheelsets much lighter than the ksyriums. ac and topolino are two companies who manufacture such wheelsets, and they work well with a person in the original poster's weight range

Superlite

by Superlite

Spytech knows that, everyone here knows that, but he wanted ksyriums. Just respect his decision.

I bought AC 420's with DT bladed spokes that weigh 1485g, but I could have gotten them with sapims and they would have weighed 1380g, or I could have gotten the 350's at 1280g. It's all about what the person wants on there bike.
Last edited by Superlite on Fri Jan 09, 2004 9:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

jim

by jim

read the original post. i only suggested if he had the $ he may want to look upgrading. no mention telling him to buy a wheelset there. are you the forum admin or something? that was florian's job when i last looked