Tarmac SL vs Orbea Orca SL

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

neb

by neb

I currently have a 2008 Specialized Tarmac S-WORKS SL (now named the Tarmac Pro SL) and i am thinking about changing over to a 2009 Orbea Orca SL. I have not been able to find many reviews on the Orca SL apart from the market spiel Orbea puts out.

Any thoughts on pros of a Orca SL over that of the Tarmac SL.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

chiltonp

by chiltonp

I have a 2009 Orca EVO (believe this is what you're referring to, i'm not aware of an SL). I have only had it for about 6 weeks but I am really enjoying it. I am coming from a CR-1 for comparison and have never ridden a Tarmac.

I saw one review of the 09 Orca that compared it to a European sports car, in the way that it may not be the best at anything, (such as climbing or sprinting) but it does everything very well if that makes sense. For instance I think the CR-1 was a little better as a climbing bike but I find the Orca just as stiff, more comfortable and better handling.

This forum doesn't seem to give Orbea much love, but i'm very happy with mine and I like it because it's not as common as a Tarmac. Here is mine, I have since added a zero setback Masterpiece, 3t Ergonova Team bars and white tape.

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=60452

neb

by neb

Yeah, that is the bike - here in Oz they are calling it an Orca SL (meant to be 20% lighter than the standard Orca model).

It is definitely a nice looking bike and agree that it would be nice to have a rig that is not that common - particularly compared with the Tarmac.

I am thinking of getting the Orca with;
FSA K-wing compact carbon bars
FSA - K-Force stem and seatpost
SRAM Red
Kyserium SLs

:thumbup:

Taz

by Taz

I had a Tarmac SL and many of my friends have orca evo so have ridden them many times.
I would say that the orca is very similar to the tarmac except from the front end which a find a little less stiff than the tarmac but not considerably.
Geometry wise at my size the orca is a bit slow steering.
Summing it up I would not consider it an upgrade from the tarmac, there are better bikes than both out there.

UGASkiDawg

by UGASkiDawg

I've ridden both and noticed no significant performance differences between the 2. The Orca felt a little more supple (i.e. comfortable) to me but that could just be my perception. I personally would never buy the Tarmac over the Orca given anywhere close to comparable performance simply because the Orca is sooo much better looking. The Orca is one of the 2 or 3 hottest looking bikes around imo...ymmv.

chiltonp

by chiltonp

I agree there may be better performing frames than the Orca in its price range. But as UGASkiDawg said I've always been drawn to the looks of the Orca, and it's not a slouch in performance either, plus mine has been a joy to ride.. I got my complete bike brand new for $3k...so hard to pass up!

neb

by neb

Thanks for all the comments. It is a very nice looking rig, but agree - from the some other brief reviews it may not have the rigidity of the Tarmac SL.

Perhaps back to the drawing board!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com