How to polish my fork ?

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Andy

by Andy

Hi !
At the moment I build up my 10th anniversary Marin Indian Fire Trail (1993; yes you call this "Retro") again. Weight-aim: 8750 gr ;-). But the color of the RS Mag 21 doesn´t fit and I want to polish it, to get a silver one.
I never did anything like that, so I need your support how to proceed right. Please give me some hints how to to best.
Thanks.
Andy.
BTW. Does this proceeding bring some weight-saving ;-) ?!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

visby(SK)

by visby(SK)

i would try to search some experts, like car tuners or so, because mostly they know what to do in these cases...
8.7kg??? good target... :-)

Cyco

by Cyco

If you remove the powder coat from the magnesium outers they will have to be very carefully looked after. Mg is liable to corode very quickly if exposed to the atmosphere and clearcoats dont stick as well as colour due the lack of primer.

Andy

by Andy

Hi Cyco,
thanks for your advice. That sounds pretty bad...Best thing instead of clearcoat would be another powder coat, or what is your suggestion ?
...what a mess, I dreamed of a silver-polished-fork :cry:
So long,
Andy.

jenndy

by jenndy

Hello Andy
What you want to do is not possiable due to the magnesium is to porous and will not polish well . It will turn out pitted looking and worst off. Some custom frame builders can re paint for you
Andy