Barrel Cable Adjustors?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

fdegrove
Tubbie Guru

by fdegrove

Hi,

Granted, all the brake adjusters I've seen so far are meant to be used for fine adjustment when you're NOT on the bike riding it.

Come to think of it, all Shimano groups have adjusters on the cable entrance of the brake callipers, don't they?

While the front brake and its barrel is within reach, the one at the rear is rather tricky to find whilst pedaling....
Still, assuming there's a cable guide lug running along the top tube of the bike, the barrel for the rear brake could easily be moved to the front just the same...
Voila, total weight preserved and the brake can now be adjusted from the comfy chair.
Just tell the mechanic it's not where he expects it be anymore next time you bring the bike around for a tune up. :?

BTP makes some cable adjusters too.

Yep....
At 3.6g they seem light but then again I haven't got the foggiest what such an adjuster would weigh at all.... :noidea:

Ciao, :wink:
Being a snob is an expensive hobby.

MGS9500

by MGS9500

Am I the only one who has had trouble with in line adjusters??

I always had trouble with the adjuster holding the tension that I set. I would get the rear derailleur set and then the next ride, the tension and derailleur would be off.

They came with the Scott CR1. After liking the idea, but hating the way they worked I got rid of them. Since then, my shifting has been perfect. I set up the front and rear and have not had to re-adjust over the last two weeks.

I though I was the only one with this trouble, but just read on on line review of the CR1 where the reviewer noted that the in line adjusters would not hold the setting over two days.

I live without them on the CR1 and have not had a probem.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

fdegrove
Tubbie Guru

by fdegrove

Hi,

Am I the only one who has had trouble with in line adjusters??

I doubt it.....
Same experience as yourself and I don't run a Scott.
The RD especially, ofcourse the one we all use most, tends to lose its setting after a couple of rides.
Normal, I always thought, as it sees an awful lot of tension when shifting...
Go to your LBS and most of the time you'll see one of the guys adjusting a RD, right?

I set up the front and rear and have not had to re-adjust over the last two weeks.

By just pulling the cable with a set of pliers and clamping the screw when done?

Ciao, :wink:
Being a snob is an expensive hobby.

BigFloppyLlama

by BigFloppyLlama

I'm not too fond of the ones on my Giant either. Wish I could devise a better way than taping them in place, but for now it works fine.

yourdaguy

by yourdaguy

I bought the Jagwire in line adjusters and they came with 2 different sets of inserts. I set is shift size and the other set is brake line size and they said you could use them for brakes or shifting. When they were new they didn't have a problem with holding, but as they aged they recently started to slip a little. I am going to experiment with unlubricants to solve the problem. I will report back (it is not a huge problem- like every 50 miles the rear derailer one moves maybe an eight of a turn).
For certain parts stiffer is more important than lighter.

Cyco

by Cyco

I have a friend with a 'dale who remover the brake lever from his STIs, tapped the cable exit, and installed the Shimano spring loaded adjuster in there.
Success is how far you you bounce back up after being knocked down

drjones96

by drjones96

Cyco wrote:I have a friend with a 'dale who remover the brake lever from his STIs, tapped the cable exit, and installed the Shimano spring loaded adjuster in there.

Wow that's a pretty cool idea.

nicrump

by nicrump

yourdaguy wrote:I bought the Jagwire in line adjusters and they came with 2 different sets of inserts. I set is shift size and the other set is brake line size and they said you could use them for brakes or shifting. When they were new they didn't have a problem with holding, but as they aged they recently started to slip a little. I am going to experiment with unlubricants to solve the problem. I will report back (it is not a huge problem- like every 50 miles the rear derailer one moves maybe an eight of a turn).

teflon tape.

DGSdale

by DGSdale

drjones wrote

Ok....a little complaint about my bike....
I own a C-Dale CAAD4. I like it but there is something that has bothered me every day since I've owned it. It doesn't have cable adjustors on the downtube so I can adjust my Der's on the Fly. It sucks sometimes...like yesterday. When I was in my top ring my adjustment was off on my FDer and the chain clattered against it....GRRRR. It wasn't that far out of adjustment but it was enough to upset me. The only solutions are to either pull off the road and wip out ye-ole-multi-tool or drop it in the low ring where it doesn't clatter. I chose the latter. So does anyone know of a simple solution to this. Is there a downtube cable adjustor that works on this frame?(this may be an easy question to answer but I don't know it)

I don't know if C'dale actually still carry the barrel adjusters you need but they do still show them on thier website as a spare part. On their website go to: Tech Center - Kits/service parts - Cable guides/adjusters - CAAD4 barrel adjuster. I'm sorry, I just could not get the link to work
Attachments
cannondale team bike 4.jpg

drjones96

by drjones96

DGSdale wrote:drjones wrote

Ok....a little complaint about my bike....
I own a C-Dale CAAD4. I like it but there is something that has bothered me every day since I've owned it. It doesn't have cable adjustors on the downtube so I can adjust my Der's on the Fly. It sucks sometimes...like yesterday. When I was in my top ring my adjustment was off on my FDer and the chain clattered against it....GRRRR. It wasn't that far out of adjustment but it was enough to upset me. The only solutions are to either pull off the road and wip out ye-ole-multi-tool or drop it in the low ring where it doesn't clatter. I chose the latter. So does anyone know of a simple solution to this. Is there a downtube cable adjustor that works on this frame?(this may be an easy question to answer but I don't know it)

I don't know if C'dale actually still carry the barrel adjusters you need but they do still show them on thier website as a spare part. On their website go to: Tech Center - Kits/service parts - Cable guides/adjusters - CAAD4 barrel adjuster. I'm sorry, I just could not get the link to work

THANK YOU!!!! This is exactly what I was looking for! :D

Try-Athlete

by Try-Athlete

I installed a set of these on my Mountain to Road bike conversion. I call it my Frankenbike.

Anyways, the rocket adjusters mount on the STI. They are pretty stealth. They don't stand out as much as the inline adjusters.

If you are using Campy, then the rocket adjusters won't work. However the jagwire mini inline adjuster would be better than the big inline ones.

Hope this helps...

-Try-Athlete
Attachments
jagwire rocket adjuster.gif
jagwire mini inline adjuster.gif

drjones96

by drjones96

Those are pretty cool too. I like the ones in the second picture.

the Repeater

by the Repeater

Do you know if the second one can be used w/ 5mm housing? I need adjusters for my Klein.

Try-Athlete

by Try-Athlete

I use it with the Dura Ace housing. I think the Dura Ace housing is 4mm. However I use the plastic ferrules with the Dura Ace Housing. The ferrules are 5mm. So if you use the 5mm housing and not use the ferrules, then it should work.

You can get the rocket adjust for around $11 US dollars.

-Try-Athlete