CR1 Fork - Max height of spacers

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Westbank

by Westbank

Hi

Before I cut my CR1 fork, I wanted to know if there is a maximum height of spacers tolerated ? Usually they recommend a maximum of 1.5". I emailed Scott, but I wanted to get some feedback from CR1 owners.

Thank you.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Tippster

by Tippster

Westbank wrote:Hi

Before I cut my CR1 fork, I wanted to know if there is a maximum height of spacers tolerated ? Usually they recommend a maximum of 1.5". I emailed Scott, but I wanted to get some feedback from CR1 owners.

Thank you.

Instead of a bucket load of spacers... why not a frame that fits?
"Ride it like you've just stolen it!"

Westbank

by Westbank

The frame is the perfect size. When I say perfect, I would even say almost better than a custom frame. I just wanted to get informed in order to not void the frameset warranty.

OTH

by OTH

Mine came fitted with 40mm of spacers, i.e. just over 1.5", on an XXL frame.

fdegrove
Tubbie Guru

by fdegrove

Hi,

Before I cut my CR1 fork, I wanted to know if there is a maximum height of spacers tolerated ?

The answer is pretty simple, you can stack up to 2 cm above the actual fork height assuming a stem height of about 4 cm which is close to standard height.

Ciao, :wink:
Being a snob is an expensive hobby.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

wilboy

by wilboy

My 2005 CR1 Team Issue came with 40mm of spacers (1 x 20mm; 2 x 10mm). This is a little more than 1.5 in and I've been riding it that way for 5 months without problems. I finally decided to cut my fork tube last night, leaving only a 1 x 10mm spacer.

Cutting tip: I was prepared to take the whole fork off my frame, put the fork in a vise and cut the carbon tube with a 32 tooth hacksaw because someone told me you're not supposed to cut carbon tubes with a pipe cutter (because the carbon might fray). However, while the fork was still connected to the frame, I used a pipe cutter to lightly score the line I would cut with the hacksaw (pipe cutter can make a perfect line around a tube). As I spun the pipe cutter around the tube, I was curious to see how deep I could cut into the tube by turning the pipe cutter knob in very small increments. Turned out I was able to cut the carbon tube cleanly using only the pipe cutter! It was a perfect cut. This saved me a lot of headache taking the fork off and using a hacksaw.