How many hours do you train each year?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Tsielio

by Tsielio

my laptop doesn't have a serial port (acer)
the most new laptops only have usb
serial ports don't work that well with laptops

i don't have a fulltime job (too young :)
but cycling + studying (only 18years old) requires a good organisation
i don't have a lot of free time left of course!
school from 8am till 4pm
start training at 5pm

martin

by martin

Gonzalo, I've got a FT job but wish I could ride FT! Just casual competition in a local club with an occasional TT thrown in. If I count only cycling hours, looking at the logbook it adds up to just over 300 hours for 2003. 2004 I plan to do about 500 hours as I'm planning some Randonee' and will be riding year round. If I qualify for PBP I might do that (we'll see). These amounts do NOT include indoor trainer or time running which I also do.

PBP was in 2003 and i understand it is only every fourth year?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Cyco

by Cyco

I'm only getting in about 6-8 hrs a week, (but got a mid week ride, 3hs, this week for the first time in ages) at the moment.

Don't wish you could ride like a Pro - 35-40hrs a week on the bike is both VERY tiring and boring! Does get you fit though ;) as long as you can recover properly- Massage, eating , sleeping, more eating, more sleeping.

Two years as a domestic Pro was fun :? but I wouldn't hurry back to it without full Div1 team support.
Success is how far you you bounce back up after being knocked down

manny

by manny

I am fortunate to live in the Florida Keys, I train year round non-stop. I ride between 650-700 hours, get about 12,000 miles in.

spaniardclimber

by spaniardclimber

That's my dream...to live in a country with light from 7 am to 9 pm and warm weather year round!!

Tsielio

by Tsielio

are there mountains and high level races also???

manny

by manny

News flash. This time of year it is dark by 6pm. I have to find time early morning or middle of the day to train. I can't train in the evening. I am also in the gym for about 1.5 hours a day.

manny

by manny

There are no mountains. Flat as a pancake. Lots of wind year round. Have to go up to the mainland for races, many races in Florida for all levels of amateurs, not many pro level races. I am leaving today on a friend's plane with three other riders for a race.

Tsielio

by Tsielio

belgium is a really small country but during the road season there are 10races on the same day sometimes

a bit hilly but mainly cobblestones...

manny

by manny

It would be great to be able to ride mountains all the time. I would settle for some hills. I'll take a pass on the cobblestones.

bobalou

by bobalou

martin wrote:
Gonzalo, I've got a FT job but wish I could ride FT! Just casual competition in a local club with an occasional TT thrown in. If I count only cycling hours, looking at the logbook it adds up to just over 300 hours for 2003. 2004 I plan to do about 500 hours as I'm planning some Randonee' and will be riding year round. If I qualify for PBP I might do that (we'll see). These amounts do NOT include indoor trainer or time running which I also do.

PBP was in 2003 and i understand it is only every fourth year?

You're absolutely correct, Martin! Even better, that gives me 4 years to qualify. :) I'm new to randonnee and I thougt PBP was yearly, my bad. I'll consider qualifying a success but I'm sure I can do it .. I think avoiding injury like pulled muscles etc will be the issue for me. I'm sure I could sub BMB instead. Either way, they're both real bears. :shock:

Cyco

by Cyco

Theres some rides around Sydney that allow you to put in a long ride ~180-210km with several climbs of 10- 12km and great weather (top of the climbs can get a bit cloudy at times). Give it a couple of weeks and it wont get dark till 9.30pm and still be 28-35C.
Success is how far you you bounce back up after being knocked down