Light Brake Shoes to go with My AX's

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Carbonman

by Carbonman

Decisions, decisions....

Got my AX brakes recently and put my old faithful Corima shoes and pads on as a temporary measure (they weigh about the same as the brakes !!!). Need new shoes and I want to continue using Corima pads.

Ideas thus far:

1) Tried to get some of the Zero G shoes but they don't work with the AX brakes Ted informed me (thankfully) before handing over some serious amounts of cash. V light at circa 30gms for a set of four (not sure if this is with or without pads).
2) BTP are great, the lightest I believe but I have to send them back to have new pads glued on at a cost of 30 Euro each time.
3) Jagwire Elite Road Carbon. Can not get any response from the UK Distributor. Look nice but I need to know if the quoted weight of 31.3gms is for a set (two) or each, if it includes the pads and can I replace the pads with Corima's (I think they use Koolstops and these are interchangeable with Corima pads on the Zero G shoes so looks promising).

Does anyone have any experience with option #2 and is it possible to remove the old pads and glue new ones yourself (saw a post on this but no conclusion).

Can anyone answer my questions of option #3 ? Does anyone know were I can purchase a set in England ?

Any other suggestions are also greatly appreciated. This is not an easy topic to search for on the web (lots of car and m'bike related noise.

LJ
WWotY 2006 / Smart convert

by LJ

The DA shoes looked ok on my set until I had to send the brakes back!

Jagwires are not that easy to get hold of. I tried and failed.
Attachments
AX Brakes.jpg

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mises

by mises

The Jagwire elite carbons I have are 22.3g per pair with all hardware, without pads. They could be modified to reduce weight similar to the ZeroG ones - remove the wheel guides and put some holes in the back, etc. but I haven't tried it (yet). Pads were tight to remove but nothing a pair of pliers couldn't handle.

I know aebike.com has them and I think they ship internationally if you want spend the money.

Carbonman

by Carbonman

mises wrote:The Jagwire elite carbons I have are 22.3g per pair with all hardware, without pads. They could be modified to reduce weight similar to the ZeroG ones - remove the wheel guides and put some holes in the back, etc. but I haven't tried it (yet). Pads were tight to remove but nothing a pair of pliers couldn't handle.

I know aebike.com has them and I think they ship internationally if you want spend the money.

Many thanks for the information - it is great to get some feedback on these. What pads are you using ?

stumpyracer

by stumpyracer

I have two pairs of Dura Ace 7800 brake shoes and mounting hardware if youe decide to go with DA brake shoes.....I'll let em go for $55 for 2 pairs if you're interested.

sharkman

by sharkman

You might also go for the new AX lightness carbon brakepadholders. They should be introduced (according to info from Axel) in may.
This combination should make your set lighter than 0g.

LJ
WWotY 2006 / Smart convert

by LJ

Yep! The AX one's would probably be a good choice!

mises

by mises

Carbonman wrote:What pads are you using ?

Lightweights. Corimas are lighter and way cheaper but sometimes I need to do a full stop in less than 1/2 km. :o

Carbonman

by Carbonman

Thanks for the lead on the AX shoes. I mentioned shoes to AX when ordering the brakes and not a word about them coming up with a set !!!

No doubt they are going to be seriously expensive.

Anyone seen any pictures ?

jozuph

by jozuph

My Jagwire elite carbon weight 31,2 /31,4 gr per pair with lightweight pads and all harware , with the original [black] pads they are a bit more heavy, 31,5/31,7 gr. They look nice, at least fitted on the ax brakes.
cheers,

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Carbonman

by Carbonman

Just got a reply from Axel and he is aiming to have the ready in August. No price yet, they are going to weigh about half the Jagwire's and are adjustable.

Better start saving up.