My new Vellum Equilibrium

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

QuattroAssini

by QuattroAssini

I've been riding off and on for well over twenty years, many of them racing. However I've not had a carbon fiber frame yet on any bike.... I've always been a steel and aluminum guy :)

I managed to bend my Quattro Assi, so it was time to pick a new bike. I looked a several used framesets and a few closeouts, but none got to the right budget level.... :roll: I loved the QA, and it helped me get back to some form of riding shape and nearer to a good riding weight.

So, I found the Vellum and got it today at noon. Bike was rideable by 1:30 8)

Final "spreadsheet" weight is 15.26lbs, done with a calibrated scale.

Dura Ace 9 Shifters
Dura Ace 7700 Brakes
Dura Ace 9 Rear mech
Ultegra 6500 Front mech (on Vellum band)
Easton Orion II Wheelset
Conti 4000 tires
Speci Tubes
Dura Ace 9sp cassette (12-27)
FSA Compact Carbon Pro Crankset
Generic ti spindle / carbon shell BB
Dura Ace pedals
Dura Ace housings/cables
Cateye computer
Ritchey WCS Stem (100mm)
Deda 215 handlebar 42cm width, shallow drop
ProCarbon Carbon seat post (looks like a Ritchey)
Specialized Toupe Team
FSA Integrated Headset
Vellum carbon fork with carbon steerer

I already know several places to pull weight from it, such as the headset, band clamp, and the spacer I had to use to put my existing post in the frame.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

shotgun

by shotgun

Great build! I've got the same frame and I'm pretty happy with it. It's not as responsive, but is very forgiving on rough roads.

mathi

by mathi

8) I like

QuattroAssini

by QuattroAssini

Thanks guys!

Here are a few more pics, including the ubiquitous 'Garage Door' shot.

TheBugMan
Location: Seattle ZOO - AfterReceivingComplaints, MyAvatarIsNowChanged. IGiveYouMySexyMug.

by TheBugMan

There seems to be some kinda correlation between white garage doors and cool bikes.
CLICK HERE to see my weenie

Click THIS to hear what happens when I see your and my weenie.

QuattroAssini

by QuattroAssini

I got in just shy of 100 miles on this bike this weekend.

I am very happy with it overall. The ride is comfortable when seated and it climbs well. However, the bottom bracket does not give when standing and climbing, or sprinting.

Road chatter seems to be 'absorbed' before it gets to the seat, and though I can tell its there, it is significantly more 'muted' than on my previous aluminum ride, or the Reynolds 853 that preceded it.

Handling wise, it tracks well at speed, but can be a little more nervous when going slow. Nothing I can't get used to, just different from my previous bike. The front end is extremely stiff, which adds to the solid feel while cornering.

Most important factor to me? I can't wait to take it out again!!!

On a side note, my trusty DA9 left/front shifter shattered Sunday afternoon while making some fine adjustments on the workstand.... :? I stole a shifter from my wife's bike to use until I can find a suitable replacement.

QuattroAssini

by QuattroAssini

Made an update to the Equilibrium this week.

When I assembled it initially, I built it with a 27.2 carbon post with a huge Cane Creek shim on it to ride until I found a good post of the right size.

Found a Controltech I-Post on the 'bay for a good price. When it got here, it was 203 grams. Some work with the hacksaw tuned it down to 170 grams. The shim weighed 45 grams, and the 27.2 post was 185, so I got a savings of 60 grams out of the post replacement.

Current build is 15.13lbs:

Dura Ace 9 Shifters
Dura Ace 7700 Brakes
Dura Ace 9 Rear mech
Ultegra 6500 Front mech (on Vellum band)
Easton Orion II Wheelset
Conti 4000 tires
Speci Tubes
Dura Ace 9sp cassette (12-27)
FSA Compact Carbon Pro Crankset
Token ti spindle / carbon shell BB
Dura Ace pedals
Dura Ace housings/cables
Cateye computer
Ritchey WCS Stem (100mm)
Deda 215 handlebar 42cm width, shallow drop
Control Tech I-Post
Specialized Toupe Team
FSA Integrated Headset
Vellum carbon fork with carbon steerer

QuattroAssini

by QuattroAssini

My goal when I got back cycling (3yrs ago) was to get under 200lbs (started at 250) and to keep up with the 'A' group on my local training ride (I could not keep up with the 'C' group at the time).

So as of right now, I'm down to 195lbs. I finished my Tues night training ride last night with the A group and an average of just over 20mph.

To celebrate all that, I upgraded my Vellum....

Upgraded to DA7800 brifters, added a SRAM Red Cassette and a SRAM 1090 chain. Add some new bar tape and new cables, and I have a very fresh, clean, perfect running bike! :thumbup:

To top all that off, I finally got back the rear Easton Orion II wheel from warranty and installed it tonite as well! : )

Still need to get a weight on it, but it sure rides nice.

(Oh yeah, Juan, I still have the wife too! )
Attachments
DSC09074.JPG

Tinea Pedis

by Tinea Pedis

Really nice bike there mate! Like the colour scheme on it a lot! Plus I imagine there wouldn't be many other Vellum's out there in the bunch's? It's nice to have a bike that not everyone has.

And way to do it as far as upgrading it all goes.

Also top, top work on dropping the weight and now being able to cut it with the A's! Would have felt good getting home after achieving that!

deepsky

by deepsky

My club does things backwards wrt ride ratings, I guess :) A riders are people who have a tough time making it over an overpass, and would probably pass out during a spinning class. Don't start seeing 20mph averages until the higher level C's or high end D's on a hilly route.

Just interesting to see that everyone else except my club does it different.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

QuattroAssini

by QuattroAssini

Resurrecting an old thread, but its still the same bike.... However, I've made some updates.

I decided for this year, I wanted to try something new, and to take some more weight off the bike.

To do so, I've changed out the wheels, tires and bars.

-Wheels- Archtek 50mm carbon tubular rims with OffTheFront hubs and Sapim spokes/nipples. Laced them up a couple years ago, but raced 'cross on them instead of riding road. Just set them up with some Tufo's I had hanging in the garage and they seem pretty nice on the road.
-Bars- Modolo carbons. I liked the Deda 215's I had on there, but wanted something with a different shape. I like the look of the 3T's out there, but did not like the cost. The Modolos have a great shape and took a good bit off the bike.

Wheel/Tire Savings - 469 grams (Just over 1lbs!)
Bar Savings - 39 grams

Hopefully before spring arrives, I'll put in a new bottom bracket which should drop the weight down a bit more. (I need to re-do that bar wrap job too...)

20130108_162527.jpg