BH G5 in Taiwan..

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

cogsci

by cogsci

I had a chance to ride one for two weeks. I tested the Cervelo S3, R3, and a Tarmac in the same week. I unfortunately was not too fond of the BH. The front end felt stiff and very responsive but the rear end felt mushy and not tracking correctly with the front end of the bike. I felt the bike was smaller in some sort of qualitative manner and felt jumpier. I spent some time descending on very long and steep hills and I wasn't very confident in it's handling coming down the mountain at 50mph. Aesthetically I think the bike is gorgeous but there is something fundamentally odd about the frame, I tried compensating for the shorter head tube via fit and I tried various wheel sets along the way. So in the end I think the consumers money would be best spent on another bike. The only long non-biased review I could find on the web was here:
http://www.epictrain.com/Product_BH_G4.html
and although the review was on the g4 I felt the exact way about his comments on unstable out of saddle efforts.
Last edited by cogsci on Fri Aug 21, 2009 6:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tinea Pedis

by Tinea Pedis

Add an Edge fork to the list of what this bike has over others.

Is there a listed set of geometries out yet?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

phallenthoul
in the industry

by phallenthoul

thanks for the ride report cogsci
can you also compare the ride of G5 with the other bikes you tested?

giant man

by giant man

cogsci wrote:I had a chance to ride one for two weeks. I tested the Cervelo S3, R3, and a Tarmac in the same week. I unfortunately was not too fond of the BH. The front end felt stiff and very responsive but the rear end felt mushy and not tracking correctly with the front end of the bike. I felt the bike was smaller in some sort of qualitative manner and felt jumpier. I spent some time descending on very long and steep hills and I wasn't very confident in it's handling coming down the mountain at 50mph. Aesthetically I think the bike is gorgeous but there is something fundamentally odd about the frame, I tried compensating for the shorter head tube via fit and I tried various wheel sets along the way. So in the end I think the consumers money would be best spent on another bike. The only long non-biased review I could find on the web was here:
http://www.epictrain.com/Product_BH_G4.html
and although the review was on the g4 I felt the exact way about his comments on unstable out of saddle efforts.

I was going to ask a similar quetion. What in particular was the S3 like? I have ridden an R3 so I know the ride qualities of that model, but the S3 does intrigue me ......

morephyous

by morephyous

Tall head tube on most of those bikes :evil:

Flyingfrenchman

by Flyingfrenchman

I will write a full review soon...
I order one a couple weeks ago and will take delivery next week i.e week of the 24 of august

Why I choose the G5 whitout any test ride:
- I love the handling characteristic of my girlfiend Giant TCR
- I love the fact that the fork is suppose to be very good EDGE (this is from all of you guys)
- I wanted a BB30 crank (I truly beleve that this is the future)
- No BH dealer in Canada I will have a truly exclusive bike not like a Prince or a Time and be a pooser (sorry guys but all people I see with thoses bike can't ride for ...)
- I like the look and the color

rudder

by rudder

Tinea Pedis wrote:Is there a listed set of geometries out yet?

Geometry is up on their US site - http://www.bhbikes-us.com/bikes.php

Seems like short chainstays and relaxed seat tube angles, not as extreme as their G4 model though.
Also there's a long head tube on the 57cm model - 185mm

djconnel

by djconnel

The "XS" = 52 cm BH G5 is 74 degrees, the S = 54 cm is 73 degrees, the rest are 72.5 deg. So yes, it's on the slacker side. But the XS isn't all that small, with a 52 cm effective top tube. In the Cervelo line, this would be the second-smallest frame, and would have a 73 deg seat tube.

Tinea Pedis

by Tinea Pedis

rudder wrote:Geometry is up on their US site - http://www.bhbikes-us.com/bikes.php

And I think the M and L fall either side of my preferred size.

Bah.

DeiviX

by DeiviX

Tinea Pedis wrote:Add an Edge fork to the list of what this bike has over others.

Is there a listed set of geometries out yet?

The_Dude
Shop Owner

by The_Dude

Would you guys all agree that any bike that is not lugged is made by a Chinese speaking person?
Last edited by The_Dude on Tue Aug 25, 2009 12:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

cogsci

by cogsci

Flyingfrenchman wrote:I will write a full review soon...
I order one a couple weeks ago and will take delivery next week i.e week of the 24 of august

Why I choose the G5 whitout any test ride:
- I love the handling characteristic of my girlfiend Giant TCR
- I love the fact that the fork is suppose to be very good EDGE (this is from all of you guys)
- I wanted a BB30 crank (I truly beleve that this is the future)
- No BH dealer in Canada I will have a truly exclusive bike not like a Prince or a Time and be a pooser (sorry guys but all people I see with thoses bike can't ride for ...)
- I like the look and the color

The Giant TCR is a different bike and the handling is not similar at all

One most consider rake, geometry of the frame, and the matted/paired composition of two different material characteristics. Throwing a Edge fork on does not solve fundamental issues.

If you are a mechanic or know any mechanics that work extensively on high end bikes and see every kind of BB issue, know that BB30 has very tight tolerances and in most cases are never properly pressed in my mechanics. BB30 in it self is an interested concept but as a mechanic who has seen over 10k bikes I can say that it hasn't been executed properly

Look and color?

phallenthoul
in the industry

by phallenthoul

The_Dude wrote:Would you guys all agree that any bike that is not lugged in made by a Chinese speaking person?

EddyMerckx AXM is monocoque and claimed made-in-italy..
De Rosa, Trek, Ruegamer and Crumpton are not lugged, but not monocoque either.

53x12

by 53x12

cogsci wrote:
The Giant TCR is a different bike and the handling is not similar at all

One most consider rake, geometry of the frame, and the matted/paired composition of two different material characteristics. Throwing a Edge fork on does not solve fundamental issues.

If you are a mechanic or know any mechanics that work extensively on high end bikes and see every kind of BB issue, know that BB30 has very tight tolerances and in most cases are never properly pressed in my mechanics. BB30 in it self is an interested concept but as a mechanic who has seen over 10k bikes I can say that it hasn't been executed properly

Look and color?

cogsci,
What is your take on the new G5? Are you not looking favorably upon it?
"Marginal gains are the only gains when all that's left to gain is in the margins."

cogsci

by cogsci

cogsci,
What is your take on the new G5? Are you not looking favorably upon it?

I think the consumer's money would be better served else where.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com