How many hours do you train each year?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

spaniardclimber

by spaniardclimber

Following superlite question I would like to ask how many hours do you train each year. Im curious about the time people spend training when they aren't pros and have a full time job.
I train 400 hours a year, but this year I want to reach 550 hours.
Regards,
Gonzalo

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

JTC

by JTC

I manage about 400 HR a year as well between 6000-7000 miles a year.

Joel

by Joel

I think you're better change your question in: how many km/miles.
For me it's about 15000-20000km last year. Can't say exactly because in the winter I train with my cyclocross bike.

drew

by drew

Joel wrote:I think you're better change your question in: how many km/miles.
For me it's about 15000-20000km last year. Can't say exactly because in the winter I train with my cyclocross bike.

Thats why hours are more important than kms. When you look back at your log seeing "3hrs steady, few hard efforts" is way more useful than "80kms etc, etc" Mileage does not take into account amount of climbs, MTBing etc.

Joel

by Joel

You're right but I don't really count my training hours, but I think it must be about 600houres a year

drew

by drew

Joel wrote:You're right but I don't really count my training hours, but I think it must be about 600houres a year

Thats quite a lot. I have just finished my training plan for 04 using Joe Friels training bible (excellent book) and 600 hours = 15-18 hrs a week. Theres no way i could fnd that kind of time anymore. I spend more time on my MTB towing my 1yr old around in his chariot than actual training (at least I get riding and baby sitting in one shot:D )

bobalou

by bobalou

spaniardclimber wrote:Following superlite question I would like to ask how many hours do you train each year. Im curious about the time people spend training when they aren't pros and have a full time job.
I train 400 hours a year, but this year I want to reach 550 hours.
Regards,
Gonzalo

Gonzalo, I've got a FT job but wish I could ride FT! Just casual competition in a local club with an occasional TT thrown in. If I count only cycling hours, looking at the logbook it adds up to just over 300 hours for 2003. 2004 I plan to do about 500 hours as I'm planning some Randonee' and will be riding year round. If I qualify for PBP I might do that (we'll see). These amounts do NOT include indoor trainer or time running which I also do.

-Bob

Oswald

by Oswald

I did 8800kms in 2003... I guess that's about 350 hours...

I have a full time job and have been taking evening classes for the last 3 years (3 nights a week)...

This is (hopefully) my final year in school, and I'm looking forward to spending all that time on my bike after I finish school...

So hopefully next year I'll be riding my bike for about 500 hours...

mises

by mises

Last year a little over 700 hours. I wanted to get back to my old racing weight and needed to lose 21 kg. Probably do more like 500 hours this year (and climb a hell of a lot faster without that weight).

benz76

by benz76

Last year I did 450 hours (including 50 hrs running), 12000km (only on the bike), very hard climbs all year long... Hope this year I could do the same distance, but with even more climbs: that's Quality for quantity...

Bye, Benz.

spaniardclimber

by spaniardclimber

Drew: I have also made my training plan using Training Bible, I think it's a wonderfull book, very well written, very clear...I love it. Do you have a power meter? I just bought an ergomo (www.ergomo-usa.com), It's not a weight weenie BB for sure, but I think I will go faster by training with it!

Tsielio

by Tsielio

nice stuff www.ergomo-usa.com

i train about 20hours a week (between 16 and 25) from november till the end of september
no training in octobre
24000kms a year

spaniardclimber

by spaniardclimber

Tsielio: Do you have a full time job? Where do you find that much time to ride??

Paul_nl

by Paul_nl

spaniardclimber wrote:Drew: I have also made my training plan using Training Bible, I think it's a wonderfull book, very well written, very clear...I love it. Do you have a power meter? I just bought an ergomo (www.ergomo-usa.com), It's not a weight weenie BB for sure, but I think I will go faster by training with it!

Have you already used the ergomo powermeter? How do you connect it to the computer? My laptop doesn't have a serial interface so I hope I can connect it with USB.

spaniardclimber

by spaniardclimber

Haven't used the ergomo yet, I ordered it two days ago...Hope to start using it by the end of next week. I'll let you know if it can be used with USB. BTW: which laptop are you using? All the laptops I've seen had serial ports.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com