Spare tubular bag- Show me yours.

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

dgasmd

by dgasmd

I ride tubulars exclusively. I have been folding the spare and putting it under the seat tightly wrapped in velcro and attached with a little belt. It works OK, but I have 2 issues with it:

1. As time goes by, the glue in the tire picks up dirt and sand, which makes it very poor when actually needed.
2. It moves around over time no matter how tightly I put it to begin with. As it moves a bit, it starts to rub against my leg and my shorts, which can ruin them over time.

I think the ultimate solution wold be a little "bag" made of carbon fiber in a curved shape that would open like a clam shell housing the tubular tightly folded inside. It would fit the best, be light, and would look cool as heck. Maybe a project for someone?

I would like to see what type of bags some of you use to put your spare tubular on your bike.
:thumbup:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

rikdewy

by rikdewy

One option is to cut the top off an old water bottle and wedge the tub in there with all other necessities. Make sure you put some drain holes in the bottom. Then use a large water bottle on the downtube.

I know if it's hot you have to stop more for water refills but it's a simple, secure, effective way of doing it. :wink:
It's all about the bike! well nearly all.

tri-core

by tri-core

My solution lately is to put the tubular spare in an sock and put it in one of the water bottle cages. It means sacrificing a cage but elimanates the nuisance of having it under the seat where it can loosen and interfere with the pedal motion. Also it puts that weight closer to the bottom bracket (moment of inertia reduced). Just my thoughts and practise.

stella-azzurra

by stella-azzurra

Bring stans sealant in a small 2 oz. bottle. If it's totally unrepairable then phone home E.T.
I never took drugs to improve my performance at any time. I will be willing to stick my finger into a polygraph test if anyone with big media pull wants to take issue. If you buy a signed poster now it will not be tarnished later. --Graeme Obree

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

I am able to stuff a tubular (21mm Evo CX) in the smallest saddle bag from specialized. I cut the seat post strap off the bag and cinch it tight with the main strap as far back as it will stay on the saddle rails. I can fit nothing else is the bag so I have a small frame pump mounted on my downtube.
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.

blybo

by blybo

Why not use something made for the purpose?
I can't seem to copy the image from Competitive cyclist so here's the link
http://www.competitivecyclist.com/road- ... .42.1.html

I tried carrying pitstop for a multi stage race a few months ago and punctured 6 km into stage 1 and the pitstop wouldn't seal the puncture, race over :cry:

I'll be purchasing one of these bags for the 200km Audax Alpine Classic in January (summer over here)
08 Cervelo R3, Sram Red, Zipp 101's= :-)

dgasmd

by dgasmd

Having liquid latex, as blybo's experience showed does not work all the time. Heck, for me it has worked maybe 20% of the time. Stuffing a tubular tightly into a regular smaller seatbag (have done it before too) runs into the issue of the bag been more wide than necessary and much shorter than necessary. So, you end up with a tight "ball". The Jaand bag in the other hand, although made for the purpose, is also much bigger than necessary and much taller than necessary. I wished they would make it with rounded ends instead of square and a bit smaller, so it would fit better under the seat tied to the rails as far back as it will stay on. Also, giving up one of my water bottles is simply not an option.

I still think my carbon fiber clam shell idea is the ultimate solution to this issue. Too bad I have no skills or know-how with carbon fiber, otherwise I would have made a couple a long time ago. This could be an awesome project for someone with some minor skills and know-how. :lol: :lol: Anyone? :lol: :lol:

By the way, could you post some pictures of how your folded tire, bad or not, looks like under your seat. It may give me some ideas as to how to modify what I am currently doing.

blybo

by blybo

Funnily enough that same tub that pitstop would fix was repaired by Stans afterward :shock:

I'm riding tomorrow with a Stans 2oz bottle in a 500ml spares "container" in my seat tube bidon holder. I'm not heading far from civilization so I'll take the risk, we are trying for PB's up a popular local hill climb.

You could always put the Jannd bag in your Jersey pocket as it would also hold the suff I'd usually carry there anyway or there is the tubi bag in the other thread here which appears a little smaller and more rounded. I haven't seen either in person so can't comment any further.
08 Cervelo R3, Sram Red, Zipp 101's= :-)

MasterOMayhem

by MasterOMayhem

For those of you who use tufo tape... you carry tub, with extra tape?

dgasmd

by dgasmd

MasterOMayhem wrote:For those of you who use tufo tape... you carry tub, with extra tape?

I just carry a pre glued tire. I do use the tape for home tire replacement, but for a spare the tape would get ruined on the folded tire. I do pre-treat the tubular tires that have removable cores with Stan's liquid later.

MasterOMayhem

by MasterOMayhem

I meant the tape in its own box not on the tire.

coloclimber

by coloclimber

I carry one in the my bottle with valve stem extender attached and a 2oz bottle of Stans and CO2

If you are adverse to carrying one in a bottle sandwich-

This is the best method- Copied from my friend TooTall

Who TF needs a carbon clam shell?
-Deacon Doctor Colorado Slim

dgasmd

by dgasmd

Gorgeous Colnago, SR campy, and Boras. Yet, you elect to go 6 miles out of your way to find the most ghetto way to carry a spare tire. It is as if you actually put in a lot of thought into how to make it the least palatable way possible. Kudos to you :beerchug: :thumbup: :beerchug:

Just kidding man...... :mrgreen:

crazy_vegan

by crazy_vegan

the clam shell would be pretty cool

stella-azzurra

by stella-azzurra

blybo wrote:Funnily enough that same tub that pitstop would fix was repaired by Stans afterward :shock:

I'm riding tomorrow with a Stans 2oz bottle in a 500ml spares "container" in my seat tube bidon holder. I'm not heading far from civilization so I'll take the risk, we are trying for PB's up a popular local hill climb.

That's because stans does work on 700 tubulars.
I never took drugs to improve my performance at any time. I will be willing to stick my finger into a polygraph test if anyone with big media pull wants to take issue. If you buy a signed poster now it will not be tarnished later. --Graeme Obree

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com