stiffest bar and stem?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

stumpytrunks

by stumpytrunks

Just wondering what the stiffest bar and stem is out there at a decent weight (350 or less is desirable for the two) and if possible a low price. I f there are any other thread s like this just block this one but I couldnt find any. Thanks.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

morrisond

by morrisond

I have the new Bontrager XXX Lite Carbon Stem and X Lite Carbon. It is a very stiff combo, and looks great too. About 370-380 grams total. In the past year I've also had the Syntace F99 with Schmolke bars(definitely not as as stiff, and Deda Newton OS Bar and Stem(close). The nice advantage of the Bontrager parts is that although they are very stiff, they still damp out road vibration nicely, and they are very comfy. Out of the three combo's this is my favourite, and is probably only 80 grams more than the Schmolke/Syntace combo.

willf03

by willf03

I would definitely go with OS (31.8mm) stuff. I personally think that the FSA carbon stuff is great and looks really good. I doubt that you could find anything stiffer than the K-wing bar/K-force stem combo. However, it is heavy at 400g claimed for the set, but a lighter option would be the K-Force bar/ OS-115 stem at 348g claimed.

www.fullspeedahead.com

tommy

by tommy

easton ec 90 equipe OS with ritchey wcs os?

Dr.Dos

by Dr.Dos

willf03 wrote:a lighter option would be the K-Force bar/ OS-115 stem at 348g claimed.

I run that combo on my Cyclocross. Weight for a 120mm stem (ti-bolts) and 440 mm bar is 139 g plus 224 g. Superstiff and the bars bends have an awesome feel. I don't like the FSA stuff on my road bikes though, they simply don't look as well on them.

spytech

by spytech

how about the integrated approach? the Kouta viking bars, should be stiff and light.

asphaltdude

by asphaltdude

PRO XLT-OS.
Super stiff and really cheap!
(Or you buy just the PRO bar and a somewhat better looking stem, (Thomson Elite X4!!!)
Whow! That's a pretty damn nice garage door!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

stumpytrunks

by stumpytrunks

Thanks for the replies guys. I forgot to say earlier that I'm after a shallow drop with if posible a conventional rounded shape. Integrated is not an option as I like to be able to fiddle around. Thanks again and I'd just like to ad that I'm mainly after stiff and semi cheap, have already gone over budget.