3rd party cranksets - Compatibility with Shimano Di2

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Johhny Bravo

by Johhny Bravo

Hey guys,
I'm about to upgrade my DA7800 to DA Di2 7970.
BUT, I'd rather keep my great lightweight FSA K-Force Light MegaExo crankset.
Does anybody know about possible incompatibilities with Shimano DA Di2?
Is there any 3rd party crankset already tested compatible with Di2?
Regards,
Eduardo
Ride safe!
Eduardo
2011 Look 695 SR

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

thegreatdelcamo

by thegreatdelcamo

I run Di2 and it's my opinion that Di2 FD will shift any chain to any chainring. And it will do it fast.

Di2 chainrings happen to be shaped for the 7900 chain, so other chainrings may not shift as smoothly as the 7900 rings. But they will shift.

Johhny Bravo

by Johhny Bravo

maybe the best thing to do is replace FSA chainrings with DA7900 chainrings.
My FSA rings are compact 50-36, 110 BCD.
Can I find Shimano DA7900 chainrings with these same specs?

EDIT: ooops, just found them - http://www.universalcycles.com/shopping ... egory=2628
Ride safe!
Eduardo
2011 Look 695 SR

Murphs

by Murphs

Johhny Bravo wrote:great lightweight FSA K-Force Light MegaExo crankset.

That is the definition of an oxymoron

Johhny Bravo

by Johhny Bravo

why? I don't see any contradiction here...
don't you think they are lightweight?
of course not as light as claviculas, but much lighter than Campy, Shimano and other cranksets....
Ride safe!
Eduardo
2011 Look 695 SR

ironman1

by ironman1

Running Di2 with THM Claviculas and Stronglight rings 50 / 36 . No problems what so ever. Great front shifting in both directions.

HammerTime2
Location: Wherever there's a mountain beckoning to be climbed

by HammerTime2

Johhny Bravo wrote:
why? I don't see any contradiction here...
don't you think they are lightweight?
of course not as light as claviculas, but much lighter than Campy, Shimano and other cranksets....

Maybe Murphs thinks they are not "great".

marchitect

by marchitect

Regarding the use of a non Shimano crank with Di2.
I just came back from InterBike where I asked the same question to several people.
At Shimano they said: You must use a 7900 Crank with Di2, anything else will be almost unusable. The reason being is that the chain-rings, according to this Shimano guy, are about 2mm wider than all other crank sets. For example, if a standard crank has it's chainrings 4mm apart (just a guess) than the 7900 chainrings are somewhere between 5.5-and 6mm apart.
He said what will happen if you use a non 7900 Crank is that when the front derailleur "auto-trims" it will kick the chain off the big chain ring, back to the small chain ring.
This bummed me out as I had my heart set on a light weight carbon crank set and wanted to use it with Di2.

There were several "Show" bikes with Di2 and cool non-Shimano cranks installed, but those bikes were all new with no miles on them.
No one else could confirm or deny this information I got from Shimano
Until . . .
I went to the FairWheel bike booth. Super cool guys there with some of the best stuff in the show.
They have been using Di2 with different cranks with no problems.
They did have a word or two of caution.
They said that the Di2 FD is so strong that it can easily break or bend your big chain-ring if you aren't careful. This can happen when shifting to the big Chain-ring while peddling very slow as the FD will basically force the chain up the the big chain-ring. The 7900 crank has super robust chain-rings so there is no problem, but in the after market arena you must use very strong chain-rings, at least for the big chain-ring.
But it was encouraging to hear that they have had success with other cranks and using Di2.
That supports some of the information in this thread but I wanted to share what I learned while at InterBike.

Bikey

by Bikey

Di2 works perfectly with non-Shimano cranks and chainrings. Sound to me like Shimano is trying to sell those $$7900$$ cranks. (btw, I use a Cannondale SRM crank with Stronglight CT2 chainrings)

thegreatdelcamo

by thegreatdelcamo

The bit about auto trim pulling the chain off a chainring is absurd. The chainrings are not materially different in dimension than non DA rings. Further, the auto trim moves the FD no more than we moved the FD in pre indexed days.

mythical

by mythical

The real problem, what I heard from reliable sources, is that the FD servo-motor is so strong than it could slightly bend the big ring upon every shift. If the big chainring isn't stiff/strong enough, this could potentially lead to chainring failure. With the use of a Dura-Ace 7800 or 7900 crankset, this potential hazard is virtually eliminated.
“I always find it amazing that a material can actually sell a product when it’s really the engineering that creates and dictates how well that material will behave or perform.” — Chuck Teixeira

Bikey

by Bikey

This makes no sense. Sure the motor is strong, but I can't see how it puts any more stress on the chainrings than a manual derailleur - indexed or not. Think how easy the shifting action is with a non-indexed derailleur - how is the chainring stressed any differently with a motor pushing the FD?

thegreatdelcamo

by thegreatdelcamo

how is the chainring stressed any differently with a motor pushing the FD?

I suppose it could push hard on the big ring IF it is improperly adjusted and is too low and actually contacts the big ring. If the FD is simply moving the chain, I agree that it can't create any more stress on the big ring than any other manual system.

cyman

by cyman

I'm using a FSA K light compact with my Di2 with no issues.
The mech is simply amazing, don't worry yourself about if it might bend the ring. Under normal use i can't see this happening.
By the way, I have both DA chainset and FSA, and i think the change is much cleaner with the FSA using a KMC sl.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

LD100

by LD100

marchitect wrote:The reason being is that the chain-rings, according to this Shimano guy, are about 2mm wider than all other crank sets. For example, if a standard crank has it's chainrings 4mm apart (just a guess) than the 7900 chainrings are somewhere between 5.5-and 6mm apart.

Interesting. A couple months ago Shimano customer service told me the 7900 chain ring spacing hasn't changed from 7800. FSA also told me the same thing (i.e. their chain ring spacing is the same as 7900).