Kuota Khan

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Pantani

by Pantani

Given that most posters expressing opinions on this topic dont actually own a Khan, I though some real world experience to add to the other Khan rider's would be beneficial.

The bike is super stiff. Its light but not weight weenie light. Its reasonably comfortable, but based on experience with a pair of Newton bars, I think I'd get carbon bars for long distance riding (I just race on it) as the front end transmits a fair bit of road buzz - you dont get the stiffness for nothing.

The bike looks superb - really nothing like it around. Two bad points are - the bike is built up from a number of standard sized assemblies and additional bits of tubing are added to the seat and down tube to make the different sizes. To be fair Kuota don't try to hide this fact, but it looks a bit sloppy. Second, while the bike comes with a seatpost as standard, its a bit of a pain that its a wacky 30.0mm size. The micro adjustments for seat angle on the post are a bit crude so getting the right position can be a bit hit or miss. Hope this info is useful in making a purchase decision.

Finally, it is not a TT bike but coasting down hills and comparing speed with some other known references suggests that the frame itself is pretty aero.

hamsterchick

by hamsterchick

Hi Pantani.....

So by all means by getting this bike, you're stuck with an unusual seatpost diameter and that means Kuota stock all the way....can't place a shim can we?:cry:

May I know what is the total weight of your Kuota Khan bike set-up and what are the parts. Asking for reference in weight weening such bike later
on.

How does it handle especially on inclines, declines and corners? Is it a lively bike and responsive? :?:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

JTC

by JTC

Here is mine. It can easily be built up to less than 14 lbs. Mine is slightly over 13. Great bike! Smooth ride and very stiff and its not a frame designed for triath. even though many may use it for that.

http://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum ... kuota+khan

hamsterchick

by hamsterchick

Hi JTC....

Checked your original thread on your Kouta Khan and I am impressed.

Now just to ask you to detail the performance in terms of handling in tight curves, descents and inclines. Is it superstiff? A comfy ride? Is it a fast bike? Responsive or just plain twitchy?

How would you rate it from a scale of 1 to 10?

Oh by the way, sub-14 huh!.......You just made my day! :D More inputs please...... :P

Pantani

by Pantani

Hi Hamsterchick,

The specs for my Khan are as follows:

Khan frame fork and headset, seatpost
Campagnolo Record Nine Speed Groupset except
Planet X Carbon Cranks
Mavic SSC Salipers
Shimano Dura Ace SPD SL Pedals
Deda Newton Bars
Bontrager Stem
Zipp 808 Wheels with TA 9SP 12-21 alloy cassette
Elite Mag Bottle Cage
Fizik Arione Saddle

I've never actually weighed it, but I will and post a pic over the weekend. I race it on mainly flat courses, so aerodynamics are more important to me than absolute lightness on this bike. (I have a Giant TCR on Corima Winiums as my WW bike).

I have ridden it on hilly terrain though and all round its handling is superb - couldnt fault it in that regard. I'm sure it is possible to shim the seattube, but I've found a setup that is ok for me so I'm leaving it as is.

JTC

by JTC

Hi JTC....

Checked your original thread on your Kouta Khan and I am impressed.

Now just to ask you to detail the performance in terms of handling in tight curves, descents and inclines. Is it superstiff? A comfy ride? Is it a fast bike? Responsive or just plain twitchy?

How would you rate it from a scale of 1 to 10?

Oh by the way, sub-14 huh!.......You just made my day! More inputs please......

Handles great. For comparison I have a Colnago Ovalmaster that is titanium and a Pinarello Prince. The Khan is as stiff if not more stiff than the Prince and absorbs much more road noise than the Colnago. It seems to be aggressive or responsive in handling much like the Prince. Climbs great, better than the Prince or Colnago. I always hate reviewing ride quality because it is so objective, and much of the "feel" people say they get from a frame is more in the mind than anything else. I don't believe that people can really feel aspects of frams as much as they say. But suffice it to say that I love the ride of the Khan and I love the stiffness. I am a big guy, so stiffness is important to me. If you are a lightweight, you might not like its stiffness, but Since it does absorb so much road noise, I don't believe the stiffness is a problem for any weight rider. The Prince is still me favorite bike right now, but the Khan is on its way to taking that title.
As far as the frame weight, I think that people here put way to much importance into it here on the forum. Find a frame you like and go with it. Don't worry about the frame weight. Choose your parts carefully and and can still have a very light bike. While there are many nice light frames out there like Scott and Giant, I would like to think mine will be around much longer and I would bet the Khan is a better ride to. (although I haven't ridden either to confirm). For me When I saw the Khan for the first time I knew it was what I wanted, regardless of weight.

Pantani

by Pantani

As promised here is a pic of my Khan. Didn't get around to weighing it yet, sorry.
Attachments
Kuota Big.jpg

drjones96

by drjones96

drjones96 wrote:The Khan is more of a TT/Triathalon bike right?
I thought the Kredo was supposed to be their light-bike bid.

My OLD LBS was a Kuota dealer. I must have seen the previous Khan model because it looked a little different than the one on the Kuota site.

I was mistaken earlier when I wrote this. It was the Kaliber and not the Khan that I saw at my LBS. That's why I thought it was very TT/Tri 'ish looking....that's because it was.

hamsterchick

by hamsterchick

Hi Pantani......

Wow!! Your bike so fierce. It was what I envisioned a Zipp wheelset would do to your set-up with the black and red color concept, it coordinates and complements well. This is what I was also thinking on how an ideal selection of the right wheelset would do for the Khan aesthetically.

Rather for me, my personal choice would be the 404 instead, but this is only my individual choice of preference.....but as it is, it is a "wow" bike for me nevertheless. :D

Pantani

by Pantani

Thanks Hamsterchick,

I agree about the 404s. I really bought the 808 as the front wheel for my TT bike (I'll post a pic next time I have it assembled for a TT. I therefore bought the rear 808 to give me a wheelset for the Khan. However as soon as time permits, I'm going to get a 404 front for the Khan. I think that setup would be ideal all round for the courses I ride the Khan on.

regards,

P